Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We were towing our 5th wheel this weekend and noticed that the truck was having a problem shifting gears. It would rev up rpms but would not shift to a higher gear. Also had a problme down shifting. It did not happen ever time we accelerated or slowed, but it happened many times during the two hour span. It seemed to be worse after the first 30 minutes. We called the dealer while driving and he said we should always tow in 3rd gear, not Overdrive. We have always towed in Overdrive and so does everyone we know. Our choices are 1,2,3,O, no "D". We have a 2006 F250 Diesel. Took the truck to the dealer this morning and they said it looked fine. We are taking it back in on Wednesday (with the 5er hooked up). Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced this problem???? Thanks in advance all the ideas!!

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab
tgckmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have the same model and year but it's a V-10 and it has a tow haul mode for the transmission. We've not had this problem. The tow haul mode does hold off the shift a bit longer both up and down.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hmmm I think you nailed the problem its a Ford

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
I knew that was coming.

07 Chevy Silverado Z71

07 Zinger 32QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/P1000558.jpg
thegreatcanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We do have the tow mode on our truck and it was on when the problem occurred.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

FRANK... be nice this is a real question.

Tom,

Depending on the driving conditions, uphill down hill, it may indeed be "normal". If you have your manual check and see if it says to stay in 3rd gear when in tow/haul mode. That will tell you a lot about your dealers service department.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I may be mistaken, but if you were in "tow haul" mode I don't believe you were in overdrive. By any chance were you thinking the engine was reving due to the sound of the cooling (engine) fan cycling? Just a thought.

See you out there,

Robert

Edited by: 100ton
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
JPG
Weekend Camper

You have a problem..

One: Your dealer is a MORON! These folks kill me. You have driven your truck how long?? And this is NOT normal. Right?? But he tells you it's all good and to tow in 3rd instead of OD. BS!!! I always tow in OD with the Tow/Haul turned on and have NEVER had a problem. This is the way most everyone I have ever talked to tows also.

Two: Is it only doing this when hooked up to the trailer? Also, have you tried driving the truck with Two/haul on but WITHOUT the camper??

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We did check the manual and it states that tow haul will work correctly in any gear, but does not come right out and say stay in 3rd gear or stay in OD. I will try the tow haul without the trailer and see what happens. It is definitely not the cooling fan. When it occurs, it sounds like I am revving the engine in neutral. RPM's jump up but no speed increase. Keep the suggestions coming. There is probably more experience on this forum than Ford's service dept.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I would check you fluid level first, When you pull out the dip stick look at the color of the fluid, Should be a reddish brown color and should not smell burnt( maybe just a little ) Sounds like you have issues, Pump , Clutch. They might be able to look at a scanner and see an issue ( pressure's maybe ?? ) I'm not up on Transmissions. How many miles are on the truck ?
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn

I think the problem has been solved already!!

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

We did check the fluid and it is fine. Truck only has 60k miles on it.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I have an 04 Ford F-350 with a 6.0, it also has the torque shift transmission and all the gear changes when it's activated, it does idle up to slow down, the transmission actually helps the truck stop and control down hill speeds, you need to get used to the sound it makes, we never tow without the tow/haul mode...and tell the dodge and gm guys that thr government had to bail you out, Ford is standing on there own and doing well, when the dust settled we willsee who survives...ig gm and chrusler would hve not gotten the fed money they would have already been gone.....anybody want to make best on GM on the first of June ?????

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have an 04 350 dually also( i got rid of my dodge and came back to ford for a reason) and i tow in tow haul all the time and I never have a shift flair, there is an issue. sounds like maybe the converter is unlocking when it shouldnt, I seen this happen with a bad alternator. I know it sounds crazy But the signal from the VSS at the rear axle is an analog and if the Diode goes out in the alt. it sends A/C jolts into the PCM and the PCM cant get a good speed signal and it unlocks the converter.
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I think Don is on the right track. Take a white paper towel,put a drop of trans fluid on it. if it turns brown around the out side edge you have burned trans fluid. It this is the case get back to us. The other possabliity is that all of these newer trans are electronic controled, by the ECM and PCM it might be as simple as a solinod in the valve body of the trans. Keep inmind that the tow haul mode of the trans is electronic activated, and all it dose is change the shift point of the Transmission

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to papabear
Tom,

Sounds like you are having a little transmission problem while pulling your 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel. I have a 2006 F250 Super Duty Diesel and pull a 2007 CF29CK also. Prior to the 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel I was pulling a travel trailer. The dealership I bought mine from said nothing about towing in 3<SUP>rd</SUP> gear. Just keep it in “drive� (overdrive) and use the tow haul mode. I do this all the time and have never experienced the slippage you are. In fact this mode makes pulling much easier and less worry.

I would suggest taking your truck to a different dealer and see what they say.

2012 Cruiser Patriot Edition 335SS

2014 F250 4X4 Super Duty Diesel

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_1120.jpg
papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I think you guys may be on to something with the electrical theory. Before I retired from the fire department the truck I operated would start to shift erratically (or not at all, sometimes when shifting up and sometimes when shifting down) when the alternator was beginning to fail. This usually occurred when all of the code lights were on and the siren was in use. The ailing alternator just could not keep up with the demand. This is not to say that the OP has an alternator problem, only that it may be related to an electrical malfunction (computer) of some sort.

The good new about the fire truck was that you always had a warning when the alternator was about to go south, you could hear it spooling up through the trucks communication system and the on dash dispatch computer screen would go blank when you activated the code lights. It did make those code 3 runs interesting at times! LOL.

Robert
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

As crazy as it sounds, I think Diesel Dave has the answer. An altenator with an open diode could easily cause havoc with the computer whichmay beaffecting the operation of your transmission.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Tom is the little light flashing on the shifter handle?
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

One other thing to check is both of you batteries. With todays computers These batteries need to able to receive the full charge. If they don't they can cause all kinds of different malfunctions