Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
Site Team

You guys that have one, especially the HawksHead.
My question is----Do you "ever" have occasion to question whether or not one or more of the readings you are getting from it is accurate or not? When we left to come home yesterday, I had an immediate reading on the left front of 98 degrees and 63.2 psi and it never changed until we stopped at a wayside about 50 mi down the road. I walked around it checking all the tires and that left front finally came in at 88 degrees and 65.7 psi. I thought I had noticed similar things happening before but just dismissed it. Now I feel pretty sure that they do act up like that on occasion.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My TST system has never done something like that. Each sensor updates on a periodic schedule, but they are not sync'd together. There are times when one reading will be on display just a fraction of a second before another one transmits it's reading. And it seems like there may be times that one reading gets skipped because of a conflict with other sensors. And it is random as to the order that the sensor data is displayed, but it's never taken more than a few min. to get new readings on all 6 sensors and all are constantly changing both PSI and temp.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

My HawksHead unit updates like Larry's does. My temps and PSI all start out pretty much the same and within a few minutes of driving it is updating any changes to either. If we are traveling in the early or late sun the two tires on the sunny side will usually go up in temp and PSI together. The two on the shady side will stay about the same as well. Can you move that one sensor to another tire on your next trip and see if the problem follows the sensor?
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I dont see that issue with mine either. How old are your sensors? Could it be the battery is on its last leg?

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Old Farmer,

I had the same thing happen to mine when I first got it, it seemed that the tires were updating irregularly. But now it has settled down, dont know why, but it updates prettygood nowand I dont have any problems at all.

I have seen what you mean too Hunter, on the sunny side it does have higher temps and pressures with my unit too.

It is funny that tires are sometimes very unpredictable. I have had some readings that I thought were funny looking. But I was informed by the owner of the company, when I called them, that this is normal tires andare a very different animal.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

What about ours, we set off down the highway and 30 mins later it tells me I have a leeking tire, I check and it is OK then5 hrs later it still says I have a leeking tire but it is still at the same presure that I started with. Any ideas on this problem. Thanks for any input
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaucho1981
What about ours, we set off down the highway and 30 mins later it tells me I have a leeking tire, I check and it is OK then5 hrs later it still says I have a leeking tire but it is still at the same presure that I started with. Any ideas on this problem. Thanks for any input
Ona different brand TPMS, I had one showing a drop in PSI and an increase in temperature which sound logical. Checked with a gauge and all was OK. It was the battery in the sensor going down to the last. Replaced batteries and all is good again. Edited by: BipeFlier

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
My HawksHead unit updates like Larry's does. My temps and PSI all start out pretty much the same and within a few minutes of driving it is updating any changes to either. If we are traveling in the early or late sun the two tires on the sunny side will usually go up in temp and PSI together. The two on the shady side will stay about the same as well. Can you move that one sensor to another tire on your next trip and see if the problem follows the sensor?
I must be missing something here.
I have to manually scroll thru the monitor on mine to get updates for each tire. Are you guys telling me you don't have to do that with your monitor? I know Brian has a HH also.
If there is nothing happening or I'm not scrolling thru the tires, mine goes into what they call the sleep mode. It does come out of that to send me any info like "no signal" It did that when we left the rally up here back in May. I just had to remove the battery and rub it on my jeans and reinstall and it worked fine.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Yes Old Farmer, I do have to push the button to scroll through the tires temp and pressure. Mine also goes into a sleep mode until I hit a button and will come out of sleep mode on its own if there is a problem with a tire.

Mine does sometimes show me some temps and pressures that are funny looking but I figure it is just the nature of the beast with tires. It seems to work fine for me though I just used it going across thestate last month and it worked great.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

As Brian said I still have to scroll through the screen to check the tires but they are always updated. I have never gotten a "no signal" or had a reading stay the same for several miles. I usually try and check mine every 30 minutes or so. I mainly bought the system in hopes that I would get a warning before something bad was about to happen and hopefully give me time to get slowed down and off the highway.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #11
Site Team

OK-- that makes me feel better. I was starting to think everyone had a--bigger--better--fancier-- more up to date model then they sent me.
Mine has done everything that you both mentioned, plus, the no signal, and a low pressure reading. All were false, but I would rather have to stop and check out a erroneous reading then to miss something that will become trouble.
Thanks to all.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Keep talking on this subject and discuss the models you have, likes, and dislikes. A TPMS is next on my purchase list and I have been scouting around but firsthand info is best. I figure if one tire gets low and overloads the other then I am possibly out 2 tires where I could have saved one or both with a little warning. At $180-200 ea for tires it wouldn't take long to pay for one..
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I like my Hawkshead alot. It works good and It gives me peace of mind.

I like tht the sensors have batteries that can be replaced, that makes it a TPMS that can be used for a lifetime, instead of some of them that the battery cant be replaced and they have a life of about 5 or so years.

At $50.00 each to replace snsors at the wheel every 5 years it isnt worth it to me to have that kind of TPMS. You might as well buy a new unit every 5 years if you cant replace the batteries in the sensors.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Site Team

I guess everything Brian said is a ditto here. When I was thinking of getting one, there wasn't any bad reviews on the Hawkshead, plus the fact you could replace the batteries instead of having to replace the sensors was a big plus for me.
I believe Larry Day has a different brand, and if I remember right he had tire trouble that it signaled him about. Maybe he will chime in here and give you the link to his post.

My only complaint is---- I think they could have simplified AND shortened the instructions for the setup. Way to wordy.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I have a Hawkshead and about three weeks into our current trip I had a reading of 144.9 PSI on one tire. I tried resetting it and put in a new battery but still got the funny reading. I called Hawkshead and the guy I talked to kept saying to read the manual and check their forum. He really wasn't much help. I believe I may have a bad sensor but won't address it until we're back home.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I have the TST system and love it, I have never had a funny reading of any kind and it is ez to understand and use. One instruction and it will ignore the trailer readings when you disconnect and drive off for some sightseeing. Range is excellent, no need for an extra amplifier or antenna.

Like any sensor located outside the tire, wind and sun will make small differences in side-to-side readings. Yesterday, I had an alarm at the end of a 6 hrs trip, it was a high pressure reading of 90 psi on one of the truck tires. They had started out at 78 psi and 80 degrees and air temp of 80 degrees. So, 6 hrs later, 90 psi, 108 degrees and air temp of 95 degrees is probably just fine.

While I don't have replaceable batteries, TST now has them, so I should be able to just buy the newer sensors when the time comes.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Oh, and my display is always on, it may have a sleep mode, I can't recall. But I prefer to have the display on 100% and it automatically cycles thru each tire, no action required.

11 Cruiser CF32MK