Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
Site Team

Trading Campers Part 2 - A tale of the scale & PDI

On the way from Missouri to Iowa to trade the camper we thought we would get a real world weight on the old and the newer camper. There is a Loves truck stop just a short distance from the dealer so in we went. First we filled the trucks gas tank to keep everything as close as possible then around back to the Cat scales.

2008 GMC 2500hd 4x4 crew cab 6.0 gas plus 2005 cruiser 29ck 5th wheel.
Steer Axle : 4040#
Drive axle : 4680#
Trailer Axle : 7580#
Total Gross : 16300#
The truck weight was as we use it and the trailer was empty except for some propane and the battery.

After dropping the camper off back to the scales with just the truck again we filled the gas tank to keep things consistent and weighed the truck.

Steer Axle : 4040#
Drive axle : 3620#
Total Gross :7660

So after some subtraction we get the trailer weight.
King Pin : 1060#
Axle : 7580#
Total : 8640#

The same process was repeated 2 weeks later with the new camper. 2009 Crossroads Seville VF32KS.
Steer Axle : 4160#
Drive axle : 5380#
Trailer axle : 9820#
Total : 19360#

New trailer weight.

King Pin : 1920#
Axle :9820#
Total :11740#

So now we look for a bigger truck!
In the next post i will go into the PDI.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I wish you luck in finding a bigger truck at a reasonable price. Here in Michigan they are hard to find and you pay a premium when you do find one. Hopefully in your area the situation is better.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #3
Site Team

That Seville did change things on the scale.
By the looks of your sig, you have found the bigger TV. Congrats.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Team

So you caught that. I will address the new truck in another installment ---- stay tuned!
Old 06-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I noticed that too, how do you like it ?
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Now for the PDI experience.

Before I get started -- we were dealing with 1 dealer and 2 locations -- Indiana where the deal was made and then transferred to Iowa where we picked it up. They are night and day different. More on that later.

We arrived a little early so they were just pulling it around to the service bays. The wife went inside to see where to drop off our trade and they followed her out and showed me where to drop it then they unhitched it from the truck and moved the carrier from the camper to the truck. Then the location manager explained that it was not ready for the PDI so we should go and get some lunch and come back he then handed the wife some money and said lunch was on them.

We got back from lunch and then it started. They were not happy. First the Indiana location was supposed to have checked everything out but that was not the case when the young lady tried the black tank valve and got a very unpleasant surprise. I mean really who trades in a camper with almost full holding tanks. All 3 of them. So as some of the crew cleaned the mess they moved the camper to a onsite dump and emptied the tanks.

Back into the shop in a different location and everything went very good. They had a check list of everything. They told and showed us how it worked and we checked it off the list. Very thorough. Then it started. There were a few things that the Indiana dealer told us they would be fixed that were not even touched. When we got to the water system and they went to check the water heater it was also full of some nasty smelling water. There were some loose knobs and when they cranked the antenna up it broke. The Mor Ryde step above steps we had installed were installed wrong and had to be replaced. We paid to have the camper re-caulked and the roof cleaned and treated which was not done. All this was to be done at the Indiana location and part of the final price.

Because we had to leave the camper for the week to have a hitch welded on they told us everything would be taken care of. When we arrived to pick it up we got the same high quality service from the Iowa location. We did another walk thru and everything was spot on even some minor things we let go on the first walk thru - after all it is a 2009 model - was fixed. While we were in paying for the camper --Yes all this took place BEFORE it was paid for-- they transferred the carrier to the camper and hooked up the truck , and took it for a little trip around the parking lot then back to the shop to adjust the breaks.

Everything was fixed / replaced by them at no charge. When asked they said Indiana would pay there parts and labor charge and the "salesman" that sold us the camper would be dealt with.

I would recommend the Iowa location but not the one in Indiana.

Next post the trip home.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Have not tried it yet. It has the factory 5th wheel prep so had to order a adapter to use my B&W Patriot hitch. Hoping to get to go next week -- but that is another story. Surprised me but the 08 gas pulled it just fine but it was unloaded.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Site Team

Dan, these have all been good informative threads you've started on this process. It should be of benefit to some newer owners and potential owners also. IF they read it.
You have been very thorough in your approach to this purchase.

Good job.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks Lloyd.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Have not tried it yet. It has the factory 5th wheel prep so had to order a adapter to use my B&W Patriot hitch. Hoping to get to go next week -- but that is another story. Surprised me but the 08 gas pulled it just fine but it was unloaded.
I got the 5th wheel prep package with my new 2020 Chevrolet 2500HD I purchased this past August. The adapter was a little pricey; around $495 if I remember correctly. The thing is heavy too, but besides that all is good. Of course at my house where I park My 5er I have a 24x36 building and also have an electric winch on the ceiling. I leave my Reese hitch installed in the adapter so I just pull two pins on the adapter and move four levers. And I pickup the entire thing out of the bed of the truck with the winch; move the truck and lower it onto a dolly I made for the adapter/hitch to sit on and then just roll it under the 5er.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:37 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Dan, if you could, please post your weights with your new truck.

We had a 2011 Seville until Sept 2020. We sold it to a lady in Columbus, OH who is living it while they build her a new residence. We subsequently ordered a Alliance Paradigm 365RD (about the same length as the Seville, a little heavier) so I'm really interested in what your 2019 Denali has on the door sticker and your actual weights.

We currently have a 2013 Denali HD and have a 2022 on order (hopefully later this summer/early fall) so until that comes in, we can't do a weigh on it. I've done it with our current truck so If anyone is interested, I can post my current weights.

We had our Seville for about 11 years and really liked the camper. I think it was well made and we never had many issues after the first year.

If I can provide any information based on our having had one, please don't hesitate to ask.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #12
Site Team

I certainly will post the real world weight when i get everything - hitch, tool box and everything we normally carry with us installed. Currently waiting to install the hitch adaptor and hitch. Hope to have it all done by Saturday then hit a scale on Sunday. I do remember the door sticker said the GVW is 11500#

We have had a few problems with the Seville but will they are in the process of being resolved. When they are done i will post about them. Also the "logo light" does not work. Personally i could care less but the wife wants it fixed.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

On the 2011's the light wasn't there and the switch not installed. From my recollection of talking to the tech guys in Topeka, those were problematic in that if the light failed, the cap had to come off. I think someone figured out a way to get to the bulb (not led's) from the inside but I don't remember exactlly.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
Site Team

In the closet there is a access panel to get to the light. The wife says it worked upon delivery. My self it is not a priority she has other idea's.