Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

With all the small problems we as CR owners have faced don't think for a minute it's not happening to other manufactures. Case and point; my parents last month bought a brand new 2011 Cedar Creek top of the line everything. Within the first 2 days after they parked it at their seasonal spot the power awining switch stuck in the closed position after the awning was closed and burnt out the motor. Their dealer is 400 miles away so taking it to have repaired was not economical (after 2 days). The dealer was good enough to send a new motor and installation instructions within a week, which was great. They didn't even want the old motor back.

They had gone away from home for a week so I went out there and cut their grass,and drinksome of their beer. When I went inside the trailer I noticed that the microwave clock wasn't on, no big deal, cheked the breakers everything was on. Checked the plug in outside and someone had just knocked it loose from the post. I opened the fridge to get a beer and almost puked. The fridge was off for a few days and the scallops and shrimpin the freezer were about to walk away on their own. What I didin't realize was that when the main power is off the fridge won't automaticallyswitch to LPG if the battery disconnect switch is off. Lesson learned.

Last week again they finished up for the weekend and closed everything up. They were called by a neighbour the next morning and told that their 5th wheel was kneeling on the ground. I live within 1/2 from their spot so I took a drive out to investigate. Sure enough the front of the trailer was the bottom of the legs. You could smell the burnt electonics from 20ft away. I opened the front compartment where the contol box is located and was not surprised to see the cover melted really bad. This control box controls all the slides (3 of them), awning, front jacks, rear jacks all electrically and hydraulically from 2 different places and by remote control. Being an electrician, I removed the box from the wall and to my surprise there was a hole burnt through the back of the box the size of my hand. It had also actually burnt the plywood behind the box. Thank goodness the plywood is either treated with fire retardant or maybe there wasn't enough oxygen in the space to feed what could have been a devistating fire. Absolutely lucky the thing didn't burn to the ground.

I'll have to afro engineer things to get it closed up at the end of the season so they can return it to the dealer for extensive repairs whom are baffled as they've never heard of anything like this happening.

So now that nothing works they can't move the trailer for their upcomming short trip to the Big Valley Jamboree. Being the kind hearted son, I lent them mine for the next 4 days. So if your in Camrose this weekend and see a CF31QB being dragged behind a GMC dirtymax, throw out a wave.

Sorry for the long post but thought I'dshare this with everyone to keep in mind that anything can happen no matter how meticulous you are.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Team

It's to bad things like that have to happen. I feel sorry for them.With that being said---------maybe they would have been better off had the material behind the electoral box not been quite so fire retardant.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I wonder if RV's have a lemon law that can be applied. It sounds like they might need one. Good lesson about the refer, I thought if you had the switch set to auto it would automatically switch to gas if power is lost. I guess I need to check my new 30SK out.
How are they going to get the front of the trailer raised up to the hitch? Sounds like a project.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
KennyB - the refer will automatically switch over to gas. The problem here was the 12v was not working, it was disabled with a cutoff switch so when the power went out, there was no battery to take over the 12v function.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
Good lesson about the refer, I thought if you had the switch set to auto it would automatically switch to gas if power is lost. I guess I need to check my new 30SK out.
How are they going to get the front of the trailer raised up to the hitch? Sounds like a project.
As far as letting it burn to the ground, that was my dads first comments after he say the burnt up box.

If you have a battery disconnect switch and it's OFF, then anything battery operated won't work if power is lost to the converter.

I got the trailer back to level by running the hydraulic pumpwith a cordless drill and a hex key. Only thing is the valves are electric and I had to put jumpers across the terminals to open them.

I removed the control box to jumper different devices to get them to function. No wiring diagrams anywhere in the information package and nothing labelled. We called the dealer service department requesting wiring diagrams, they said they tried to get diagrams from the factory before without success. How are they going to fix this thing? The dealer said "well, just bring it in and we'll look at it."

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear about your folks problem. I think I would seriously consider contacting the Cedar Creek (Forest River) factory and demanding that they pickup the trailer and take it to the factory for repair. I think the extend of the problems deserve direct factory repair. Also, you have only seen the results of a problem, you or the dealer may not know what actually caused the problem. With a brand new unit, this is the least you should expect from the factory. Good luck and I sure hope it works out ok.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I agree the factory should come and get it.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I agree 100%. I've also mentioned to them (parents) that the dealer should drive the 400 miles and rig out the trailer and take it back. I'm not sure howtaking it to the factorywould work as we live in Canada and with customs, insurance etc. the dealer would take some pretty strong convincing to do so. I suggested that the dealer do a straight exchange for another unit. They now have a lot of leg work to get the ball rolling.I should also mention that thedealerwasquite suprised at the extent of the damage after seeing the pictures they sent, hopefully now realizing that maybe they should step up to rekindle their customer satisfactions. We shall see.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

If there's a Cedar Creek forum similar to Crossroads forum it might be a good time to post!
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You should take the camper to canada US border and dealer should pick it up there. This was done this way all the time.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote