Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

trailer covers

I have a 2014 301BH and wife just bought a cover. Does Crossroads still not recommend a cover?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Covers

We live in the North East and have used covers on our last two campers with very good results and will continue with our latest camper. Our first camper that we did not use a cover on, we paid the price with sun fading, graphic edges coming up, roof staining from leaves etc. We also wax the campers twice per year and always prior to putting the cover on for the season. I would only buy a quality cover and have used Adco in the past with good results that have lasted 3+ years and Sunbrella is a quality material that we'll use moving forward. Drain spouts need to be protected prior to installing covers as do ladders, exhaust outlets which cut our last cover on our MH which was our fault for not protecting. Our campers are stored in a wooded area next to our garage and the roofs can take a beating if not covered. The benefits IMO (if you don't have access to covered storage) far outweigh any downsides at least in my part of the country. In a wide open area, I'm not sure how well the covers hold up in constant sun, wind etc but the new covers and materials allow the camper to breath unlike covering your camper with a tarp.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I agree 100%. I have the same situation with trees and their gunk. Sunlight is not good for anything but I think covers are reasonably sun resistant. I've always found that wind is the big enemy of covers. A tight fit is needed to prevent flapping and protect both the rig and cover and I've heard that custom fit covers work better than the generalized ones but don't know from personal experience. If you live in a wind tunnel, I think you might be replacing pretty regularly. Otherwise I feel the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Many don't agree.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

By the way, my understanding is that Crossroads still does not recommend a cover. Why I don't know.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Probably because of potential concerns with moisture/mold build up, wind buffeting that wears the paint, covering a dirty camper, etc...

Good luck,
it's one of those personal preference items as it seems as many as like covers, just as many don't - Just as covers have improved, so have rv finishes such that they are better in the raw

obviously a permanent rv port that doesn't need to be replaced every few years is a better option imho... ours is stored under a storage lot's permanent cover so I don't have to make that decision and am glad, because wrestling a couple hundred pound cover up and over that high an object is not my idea of a fun and safe activity

Full timers don't use covers...