Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello All,
I have a question regarding trailer stability. I understand many of you use those things between the tires, but to me that will only help with back and forth movement. My dad says when we went to the trailer show that there was another set of jacks in the middle. Is that a trick they use to make them seem more solid at shows? What have you done or tried that has worked for you, as Im looking for less side to side movement.
Thanks in advance for you replies and help.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not sure here but I think that comes from your stabilizer jacks. We have found getting a 4x6 and cutting it into 10-12" sections and putting 2 of them under each stab jack has helped. It allows the stab jacks to not be so straight up and down so they give you better support. We screwed some cheap handles to the 4x6 blocks and it makes them really easy to move. We also screw those stab jacks down pretty tight with the drill/socket combo.

Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I belive that the more support under the unit and the more weight you can take off the suspension, the more stable the trailer will be. Think of it as on a foundation. Of course, the foundation must be solid and minimal movement within each support. That is why the JT Strongarms work so well, the stabilize the front jacks so they can't wobble. It is all a matter of how much money you want to spend vs how much movement you can put up with.

If you can't stand some movement, you shouldn't be camping IMHO.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I never tried the chocks that go from wheel to wheel but have had good luck with these.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Olympian-Aluminum-Stack/dp/B000760FWU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If i get motivated enough I may eventually add an additional set of stabilizer jacks in place of those mounted to the frame.

I agree with anaro, no matter how level the trailer is I put some homemade pads under the stabilizers so that they are not really stretched out. They are more stable with less length if that makes sense.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Never really felt the need to have more than the stock equipment. We slept on boats prior to campers....
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
New Camper

I have had the same issues with less than perfect stability. In my dads fifth wheel he uses the locking wheel chocks and his trailer does't move a bit. The problem is with the secure stance axles the wheels are too far apart to use these. Does anybody know of a locking wheel chock that will work with the secure stance axles?

2008 Ford F-350 Powerstroke
Gr8fultony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I installed the SteadyFast braces on our Kingston this Spring and It is solid now. About $360 shipped in I installed my self. Only 3 braces to loosen and tighten when you set up. Seem to be made of good material. I am very pleased with the product and how solid the camper feels now. Go to SteadyFast .com for all the details.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

The X-Chocks are available in a wide version for the secure stance axles, just doa Google search for them. I ahven't bought them yet, but had then for my prior TT and loved them. Between those and running the scossor stabilizer jacks down solid on to some scrap 6"x6" lumber, my TT never moved.

My 32FR moves with the electric jacks run down to those same scrap pieces of 6"x6" lumber and with a new product that straps each tire/rim to the tire/rim in front of it. I plan to get the extended version of the X-Chocks when I have the extra $. I get two - one for each side.

2004 Chevrolet Express 2500 Hi-Top Conversion, 6.0l

2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 32FR
stupotlynn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The rig your dad saw with what looked like extra jacks in the middle probably had anelectric automatic stabilizer system installed. Nice but pricy.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for the information. Just ordered my Bal X-tended fit X-chocks 28014 on Amazon for $149.00 for a 2 pack. Not the cheapest price I found but I trust them. Also free shipping as a prime member is a bonus.

2008 Ford F-350 Powerstroke
Gr8fultony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Even the 6 point stabalizers will sway (have a friend with one). Either buy some stabalizers or like the Red Neck that I am, make your own.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote