Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I posted a similar topic a few months ago, but I am getting serious now! I will be pulling the rig from WA to FL in mid-march. I would rather not die on an icy mountain pass, but I am considering goingI-84 thru boise andSalt Lake City,then I-80 to Cheyenne, then I-25 down down to Amarillo (to the Big Texan steak house), then down to I-10 (eventually). Am I crazy, or can this be done safely? Any experience I can gain some knowledge from?

My other option is obviously I-5 thru CA then I-10 the rest of the way, but I have done that before and want to try something else.

Thanks,

Jim

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We are leaving about 15 March to go to the Texas rally from Whidbey Island. "IF" I can get out of the state without snow, I am definitely going I5 to 99 to 58 to 40 and 10. I would not trust any mountain passes at that time of year. I am even a bit worried about the Siskiyous Pass in Southern Oregon.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We did that same trip in mid december- I can see how souther OR/northern CA might be hairy next month. Even so, that is probably the safest bet.

(and the kids- Christopher and Jenna)

2008 ST31QB

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty (7.3 Diesel)

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...y/DSC_0633.jpg
JimandCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Having lived in Salt Lake City and Denver, I can attest to the weather in March being a crapshoot in Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. I now live in the mountains 85 miles west of Denver where, traditionally, we get the most snow of the season in March and April. When I get cabin fever and leave here every March (Texas Rally this year), I'm fortunate in that I have only two smallish mountain passes and about 3 hours towing to get into New Mexico. It's another 3 1/2 hours on south to Albuquerque where I traditionally stop and de-winterize, so I only need a one day window. I'd stay south as much as possible. I've been in snow (not towing) on 40 at Flagstaff in early March, so......If you do take 10 and have the time, stop in Tucson at Catalina State Park. The flowers should be coming into bloom and it's a great location. Stopped in last spring (2nd year) intending to stay a week and ended up staying three. Happy trails

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote