Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
Wit
Weekend Camper

Smile Trouble draining fresh water tank

My wife and I are planning a couple longer trips this year. We've always used full hookups and never use the fresh water tank. I decided to sanitize it just in case we need it. The dealership filled it when we picked it up to show everything worked and then I drained it. That was in 2019 and it hasn't been used since then. I filled it with water and bleach and let it set over night. Today I ran the faucets and shower to sanitize the lines. The pump was surging a little and it didn't sound quite right, but yesterday it sounded fine. I turned it off and opened the fill cap and opened the fresh tank drain. The water is barely trickling out. I remember that it drained fine when I first bought it. I don't know if it is clogged or there is a vent that I don't know about. There is nothing blocking the drain as far as I can tell from the outside. Any help would be appreciated.
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like some sort of blockage or the tank is already empty. Did you try to run a coat hanger or something similar up the drain to see if is clear? I'm not familiar with your camper, but are you sure you opened the tank drain and not the low point drain?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If the lines are full of water and dip below the surface of the water level in the tank, the water itself will form a vacuum in the line. Try using a piece of 1/2" hose to blow some of the air out of the vent.

My old camper did this all the time.

I took a piece of hose and cut out about a 12" section. Place one end firmly up against the vent (should be next to your gravity fill inlet) and blow into the other end. If it's blocked with water you'll feel resistance and as you blow harder you'll feel the resistance give way. You'll probably also see increased flow after the tube is cleared.

The permanent fix is adjusting the tube so it doesn't dip. However, depending on how your camper is built, this could be complicated. I just carried the piece of hose with me and used it when needed.

If this is your problem, it'll likely have issues when filling the tank as well.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
Wit
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mat, I looked at the filler tube and the vent is right beside it. The thing is that it's flush with the fill tube and has a rubber mesh built-in. I don't think I can get a seal good enough to blow it out. I'm going out of town for a few days and when I get back I'll give it a try. I really appreciate your support and hopefully I'll get this figured out. I might just have to pump it down the drain to the gray tank for now. Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wit View Post
Thanks Mat, I looked at the filler tube and the vent is right beside it. The thing is that it's flush with the fill tube and has a rubber mesh built-in. I don't think I can get a seal good enough to blow it out. I'm going out of town for a few days and when I get back I'll give it a try. I really appreciate your support and hopefully I'll get this figured out. I might just have to pump it down the drain to the gray tank for now. Thanks again for your help!
Yep, that's it. If you cut the hose straight and clean, and press firmly, it'll make a good enough seal for you to blow thorough.

I was skeptical at first too but it worked.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Wit
Weekend Camper

Thanks for your reply, I opened low point and tank drain just to make sure. After hours it is still just trickling. I took a small screw driver and pushed up in there and couldn't feel anything. It acts like Matt suggested like it is vapor locked. Will let everyone know what I find out. Thanks again ☺️
Old 06-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
Site Team

It also could be there is plastic debris in the tank from when they installed all the fittings.
If it was me I would take my air compressor, set it for 45/50 lbs. and blow back up the drain tube with a little blast. Not very long tho. just a short blast.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

What Lloyd said about the plastic. I removed the drain plug and all kinds of plastic filings came out with the residual water. Drained tank, replaced plug and worked like a champ thereafter.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #9
Wit
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone, I think that there could also be some debris in the tank. I'm going to try the air compressor when I get back from the short trip we're on. I just drained it today by pumping it out into the gray tank.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wit View Post
My wife and I are planning a couple longer trips this year. We've always used full hookups and never use the fresh water tank. I decided to sanitize it just in case we need it. The dealership filled it when we picked it up to show everything worked and then I drained it. That was in 2019 and it hasn't been used since then. I filled it with water and bleach and let it set over night. Today I ran the faucets and shower to sanitize the lines. The pump was surging a little and it didn't sound quite right, but yesterday it sounded fine. I turned it off and opened the fill cap and opened the fresh tank drain. The water is barely trickling out. I remember that it drained fine when I first bought it. I don't know if it is clogged or there is a vent that I don't know about. There is nothing blocking the drain as far as I can tell from the outside. Any help would be appreciated.
Road mud is possoble, but mud dauber wasps are notorious w/ any orifice they can find on a RV, e.g. drain pipe hole
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
Wit
Weekend Camper

Follow up from problem draining fresh water tank

My daughter was in from Texas and she left behind some baby bottle cleaning brushes. I used one in the fresh water tank drain and success! There was quite a bit of plastic shavings that came out and the rest of the water. Those of you that mentioned debris from drilling out the intake at the factory were probably correct. FYI, bottle cleaning brushes should be part of our camping tool kit. Thanks for all your support!😁