Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I recently purchased my first truck. I'm interested in installing a roll-up tonneau for the 6.5' bed. Would appreciate any recommendations or comments as this is my first time, so to speak.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I don't have a roll cover but one that folds.The company makes a rollup.

http://www.bakliner.com/

I have the G2 HD cover. So far I love it.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
I also have the bakflip G2 hard cover. Easy install, easy to remove if needed. A little awkward for one person, but I can muscle it around when I need to.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Site Team

I have the roll up cover. I like it. It's easy to work with. No problems getting it out of the way.
I know there are ones out there that don't care for them and have had trouble with the snow piling up on it and probably stretching or tearing the cover. That hasn't been a problem for me. Mine is in storage all winter. In the summer I keep it treated. I've had it for 6 years and no problem. Still looks good.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I just got one 2 weeks ago. I prefer velcro over snaps as the cover can shrink a bit and be really stiff in the winter making it hard to line the snaps up. Mine has a lifetime warranty.

07 Chevy Silverado Z71

07 Zinger 32QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/P1000558.jpg
thegreatcanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the quick responses.

Old Farmer-

the greatcanook-

Which brands and models did you purchase?

Thanks again!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Russ on my last truck before the diesel I had a fiberglass cover I found it to be very water tight and seem to help the fuel milage. It was easy to take off and the color matched the truck. I think I paid around 1200.00 for it. When I got the diesel and the fifth wheel I have done nothing. I have friend (yea I realy do have friend) That has a travel trailer and the fiberglass cover, and sys it picked up 2mpg I do question that. By the way what is your new Truck Frank
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I also have the tri fold type. Very easy to install/remove and keeps everything inside the bed dry and clean. Relatively inexpensive. I can't remember the brand name.

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

2009 Ford F150 SCREW, 4X4,5.4L, Max Tow pkgw/

Factory Brake Control,Reese Weight Distribution,Dual Cam Sway control

kilbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have the Truxedo roll up type on my GM. It works well for what it is. It has velcro sides, so you can get it quite snug by pulling out as you smooth the velcro together. If it is not tight enough it can get pulled off by the wind. It is not dust proof, but it does keep things out of sight. It is either fully open or fully closed, no half way. It has steel tubes attached to the underside running across the box for support. No problems with snow or rain sagging it. I have played with the idea of getting one for the Dodge, but have not made up my mindyet.... Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Here is a link to a post going on over on rv.net about this very subject.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22484484.cfm
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I also have the truxedo on my truck and I will second what lenny said about being ripped off in strong wind as I had this happen to me. Luckily I was able to get pulled over and secure the cover before any damage occured. A quick call to customer service to secure another clip for the passenger side and so far all is well. The cover is a nicely constructed unit, but could be improved upon by adding the second clip on the passenger side to alleviate the wind issues. I can have the cover rolled up or down in about 25-seconds.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn
Thanks for the quick responses.

Old Farmer-

the greatcanook-

Which brands and models did you purchase?

Thanks again!
coastn:
I can't remember the brand of my cover. I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I researched covers pretty deeply before I purchased mine. Being, I don’t haul sheets of drywall or plywood on a regular basis I wasn’t overly concerned about the lost room a roll-up will take. With a roll-up you will loss approx 1ft of front bed space for the container. I also wanted something that didn’t have to be drilled for mounting.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

I was really looking for something that as water tight as possible. So I almost went with a fiberglass cover, but then realized that I can’t have the 5er hooked and bring the cover with. My main purpose for a cover was to leave the hitched installed and protected it from the elements and prying eyes.

For my research I searched truck forums and readed that Paragon roll-up covers have horrible customer service and a lousy product. Pace Edwards has a decent product, but you must (or at least at the time) had to drill in the bed rails. Bak Flip got pretty decent reviews as did ReTrax.

I went with a Retrax which cost about a grand with shipping 2 years ago. I took myself and my father about 45 mins to install including unpacking which took 15mins and another 45 mins getting it completely squared. The directions are clear and simple, and you definitely need two people for install. The cover and container weight about 70# and the width is the distance between the bed rails. It’s really no problem for two to handle.

I’m very happy with this cover and the service I got from Retrax.

http://www.rolltopcover.com/

Some truck forums to check out are

Powerstroke.org

www.ford-trucks.com/forums

Good luck and happy shopping.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

We got the back flip style for about $650 and it was an easy install.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
Site Team

coastn:
The brand of my tonneau cover is--- Access.
Bought it back in 2003 from the Hitchhiker dealer same time we got the HH. Cost $425. installed. The rails that clamp to the truck have Velcro on the sides.
The cover has Velcro on the edges and you pull it down as tight as you want, to tighten. Has aluminum tubes that go across the box for support. It has served me well, and the price was right.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

I have the rollup w/velcro sides on my 2008 Silverado. It was installed by the dealer so I'm not sure who makes it but it works fine except that you can't lock it to protect what's in the bed. I don't leave the truck outdoors any more than I have to so that it looks it's best. I also have a carpeted bedliner that the dealer installed which I like because it quiets down the truck and keeps my gear from sliding around. The liner can take all kinds of abuse and can be hosed off easily after hauling bulk cargo.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Truxedo here too. Great cover, I've had it for 5yrs now NO problems.

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #18
New Camper

LOOK AT WWW.PERAGON TRUCK BED COVERS, GOT MINE AND LOVE IT.
br549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

We purchased this cover 4 years ago. Â*Â*http://www.extang.com/docs/tufftonno.html Â*It is still in good shape. Easy to install, easy close and open, and rolls out of the way. The only complaint is closing it in cold weather, impossible below 25 F. Solution go to a heated Â*car wash in winter to open and close it. Â*
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Funny you should ask! I just traded my HD 2500 for my HD 3500 Diesel. I have an EXTANG Black Max cover for the Chevy HD 2500 6 1/2 foot bed. It has 2 side rails with 'reversible snaps' which put the snap either closer to the top of the rail or the bottom depending on temperature use, desired tension etc...

This particular cover also has clamp on rails with 2 level of Bow installation - One low and one hihg. Maybe 3/8 of an inch in difference on the mounting hardware but does work.

I live in Western Pa and when cold, I used the upper setting on the snaps and the lower (more loose) setting on the bows. It is a roll up cover but it was not as soft and flexible as my previous "Sportsman" cover. All in all, I liked the versatility of the snaps and bows along with ease of installing and removing. Now if you only lived in Ohio or PA and had the same Chevy bed, I could sell you this one that I have in my garage.

The Cavanaugh's

2006 Chevy HD 3500 Pullin'

ZT320QB Hardly feel it!
cavy16262 is offline   Reply With Quote