Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Presently have a 2007 (Old Style) Chevy Silverado K2500 4x4 6.8 Diesel automatic. It is a nice rig, but yes right at the limit for towing our VF35CK. I am not a big fan of the new Silverado's interiors (cheap seats). I drive the truck daily. I have thought of the new Ford F350 King Ranch. Any opinions? Ford vs.Chev and would you go diesel or V10? We don't alot of towing, but may in the future do more exploring.

Thanks!
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I'm not familiar with your truck, but if you're at your towing limit now with an oil burner, I don't think the v10 will bring anything to table. I have the F250 v10 and love it. I just don't think you'll gain towing capacity with the v10.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
First, there are three trim levels of seats in the new GM HD's so the cheap comment may apply only to the particular "trim" you looked at. Second, the V10 has been out of production in the F-series HD trucks since last year. The V10 is only used in the commerical/conversion F/E-450 models and up.

If your looking for a new truck you'll need the tow ratings you get with a diesel model. The Seville line is a good sized trailer requiring some "oomph" from your tow vehicle.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

either the F350 or 3500HD with the diesel would do it. the only downside to the F350 is that this is the first year for the Fordengine. at this point, it is too early to tell if there are any engineering defects. atleast with the GM Duramax/Allison combination, GM has had some time to work the kinks out (which therehavebeen plenty).

as stated above, there aremultiple levels of trim in the 3500HD. Ihave not seen one as spiffed out as aKing Ranch, with multi-colored leather seats.
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Hi Thanks!

I just haven't seen the same captains style seating I have presently in the new ones, maybe I just can't find on the website and certainly none at the dealers...will recheck Thanks again/Brian
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Brian,

and if you don't like the seats that GM offers, www.leatherseats.com offers OEM quality (or better) leather seat skins at an attractive price. I saw them in a magazine article. Down the road our 2500HD will get new skins. I will get 2 tone ones to match the truck, ie: red and grey.

dc
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I went from a 2007 old style Chev with the captains seats to a 2010 comparable interior, my initial impression was not so great but my buddy owns the GM dealership so I am kinda stuck. Allthough the 07 seats felt like a comfy couch I am quite happy with the comfort of the new seats the power adjustments are nice and i have put about 25000 miles on since Feb and with a tricky back and all I am comfortable. I found the seat cushion in the new Fords to be short for my 6'4" XXXL frame. Just MHO

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The up level LT3 has the upgraded dash and split captians. These seats are quite comfy. Of course it's only been 41k miles
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We tow with the F350 and 7.3 diesel and after my lovely bride finishes loading it up we're close to 10,500 -- the F350 doesn't even flinch.

By-the-way, my wife subscribes to the theory you can never bring too much stuff with us on an RV camping outing.....I've tried to convince her, put something in the 5th wheel, then take something out.....this hasn't worked so far!!

efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

You can now get the GMC Denali in a 2500HD with Durmax/ Allison. It ain't cheap and the interior is pretty nice.

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

We have a VF35CK and our tow vehicle is an older (not sure what year it is, I will have to ask hubby, 2003 comes to mind) Dodge Ram 3500 diesel dually. Â*Our unit is parked at a seasonal lot so it hasn't been towed a whole lot but we bought it in Saskatchewan and had no difficulties towing back to Alberta, hubby said he forgot he was even towing, it was so smooth.
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Forgot to mention though that although we are happy with our Dodge Ram, my hubby really likes the King Ranch but we just can't justify the expense when our Dodge is paid for.
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote