Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
New Camper

Trying to plan ahead

We plan on getting a Sunset Trail Reserve SF33RL(love the layout!) in a couple years so I am starting to look at a bigger truck now to pull it.

Can anyone tell me if a Silverado Crewcab Standard bed 2500HD will have any issues, such as tight turns, since its a standard bed? Or do i need to look for a long bed for this 5th wheel.
Chzheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have a 6.5' bed and don't have any issues. Don't get the shorter bed (5.5'?). You can consider the sliding hitch to help with turns, but some front caps are indented to help in this area. Definitely consider the larger engine/diesel tho.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
I have SF32RL which is the same layout except my bed extends out from the front. I'm towing it with a short bed Ram 2500 Desiel without any issues. I do have the sliding hitch and haven't had to use it on this trailer. The SF33RL showed up on the Crossroads website just after we ordered ours. When ours came arrived in June it was a 2015. That's when we noticed they discountinued the SF32RL. We love the floorplan and the dual awnings. We've had no major issues with ours so far (knock on wood). Good luck with yours and happy camping.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I have a 6.5' bed and don't have any issues. Don't get the shorter bed (5.5'?). You can consider the sliding hitch to help with turns, but some front caps are indented to help in this area. Definitely consider the larger engine/diesel tho.
Thanks! I will be getting a diesel for sure. I have been researching the sliding hitches, but I wont get one if it isnt needed.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rodder2 View Post
I have SF32RL which is the same layout except my bed extends out from the front. I'm towing it with a short bed Ram 2500 Desiel without any issues. I do have the sliding hitch and haven't had to use it on this trailer. The SF33RL showed up on the Crossroads website just after we ordered ours. When ours came arrived in June it was a 2015. That's when we noticed they discountinued the SF32RL. We love the floorplan and the dual awnings. We've had no major issues with ours so far (knock on wood). Good luck with yours and happy camping.
Thanks! I really liked the front slide out design, but have been overruled since the new design has the huge closet up front now.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
When we started looking for a new trailer the DW wanted to stay 34' or less. Couldn't budge her on that. Now after seeing the 33RL, she said she would have considered it even though it is a foot longer. Go figure

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I would go for a 3500HD - expect a pin weight of 2200 to 2400 lbs. Truck weight with hitch fuel and passengers will be close to 7500 lbs. It will pull it without any issues - you'll just not have any margin on the truck GVWR.

I don't think there is much difference in cost and the ride will be about the same.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote