Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Underbelly cover and RV frame

I have a 2016 Crossroads Subset reserve 31BH and what like to know What’s between the frame and the underbelly cover of the floor of this trailer. I was under it and saw the bottom was saging so I pushed up on the underbelly cover and water came out the sides. I made a hole and released all the water that was there should I be concerned and pull the underbelly cover off not sure if it’s open space or insulation is in between the floor and the underbelly cover. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I had a leak that filled the underbelly and soaked the fiberglass insulation. The underbelly had to be removed and all of the insulation replaced. Cost was several thousand dollars, covered by insurance. The low point drain valve failed causing the flood.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Re underbelly cover

Thank you for responding too my post I wasn’t sure if there was any insulation in between the floor and the underbelly cover can you tell me if it’s pink insulation batting and what rating is it and could it possibly cause damage to the flooring from underneath if water was there. This unfortunately happened in the summer months and my frail out were working fine not sure how it got in there but want to repair any damage before it causes more.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I think I'd pull it down and take a look. Water in there is not normal.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
Thank you for responding too my post I wasn’t sure if there was any insulation in between the floor and the underbelly cover can you tell me if it’s pink insulation batting and what rating is it and could it possibly cause damage to the flooring from underneath if water was there. This unfortunately happened in the summer months and my frail out were working fine not sure how it got in there but want to repair any damage before it causes more.
Mine was yellow fiberglass, not sure of the rating. Fortunately the insulation was not against the wood so it did not get wet.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 09-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
Site Team

I'd pull the cover down by the tanks and check it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Underbelly water issue

I appreciate you thoughts in my issue I did open it and look inside and saw that there is a top corrugated plastic covering covering the flooring above. So I have about 12-14 inches between layers and it looks dry inside as well now I checked the lower drain plugs and only RV antifreeze comes out. I’m kind of puzzled where the water came from since the fresh water tank was empty when it was winterized. I’m going to take a closer look at the fresh water tank and be sure it didn’t crack by chance looking inside to the back it appears dry don’t see any issue there either.
Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
Site Team

My fill pipe cracked on mine while traveling. It filled up the bottom of the rv. Got pulled over by State Police, they thought it was my black tank. Checked it out and saw it was clear and fresh. After it drained out I took it in for warranty work and that's when I found out the pipe broke.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Another line to check for leaks is the black tank flush.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 09-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Underbelly issue

I’m intending to pull part of the underbelly cover off so I can check it out and see if there is any damage there as well. I think I might of got off lucky it appears that the flooring above has been protected by the other layer of plastic cover and it has 12-14 inch space between them as well.
Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We nice you pull the under belly down. Hook up to city water and run everything. If no leaks, fill fresh water tank and do the same thing with the water pump.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Smile Re Underbelly water

Thank you all for your advice on what could be the problem with my RV water situation and what to look for as well. I’m have taken the underbelly off and I’m going to take all of your advice and check it out thoroughly since it’s off insuring it’s only one problem. This is a wonder site with great individuals that want to help others out it’s very much appreciated especially by a newbie. Safe travels and enjoy yourselves.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

My underbelly got full of water one time when I was filling the fresh water tank, and at the time, I filled it by inserting a garden hose into the fill hole, and left it unattended
The garden hose fits rather tight into the fill hole, so I depended on waiting until water came out the overflow vent to determine if the tank was full. It turns out that water goes into the tank faster than the overflow can handle, and it leaked out the overflow hose fitting at the tank, and into the underbelly.
I now have a fill adaptor that screws on the fill fitting, but has large holes to relieve pressure as it fills. It also has a shutoff valve at the tank end. I now monitor the fill, and stop when I hear it coming up the fill pipe.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:49 PM   #14
New Camper

Underbelly cover

I understand that behind the rubber seals around the slide have drain tubes for redirecting water/ rain that may be draining into the underbelly.
Old guy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old guy55 View Post
I understand that behind the rubber seals around the slide have drain tubes for redirecting water/ rain that may be draining into the underbelly.
I have never seen drain tubes.
Even if the slide were to leak at the seals, that area is well outside the frame, so any leaking water would just drain onto the floor.
any water leaking into the underbelly would either come from plumbing or from a hole in the floor, such as where plumbing or venting comes through, like the toilet or shower drain or furnace ducting.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote