Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
New Camper

Unsure about purchase now

Today is my first day on this site. I signed up because we are looking at purchasing a Rushmore soon (our first RV). The price is very good, but now I can see why. After reading quite a bit of info on this site (all very helpful), I am now scared to get the 2013 Rushmore 39W Washington we were looking at. We are traveling to TN this coming weekend to look at a 2013 Washington. With all of the issues you folks have been having, I'm not sure I want to take on that kind of trouble. I am retiring soon, and don't want another full time job fixing my RV Home. Is it worth the trouble and headaches?????? Any and all comments are welcomed. Thanks, Neil and Vicky.

Happy Holidays
nmayzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Neil and Vicky

I think you will find that all these RV manufacturers are the same. If you read on other RV forums the same issues are being had on other units as well.
In my opinion Crossroads has been good to us so far and have been fair with any warranty issues.
It is a buyer beware market and remember they are all made with the cheapest parts and the cheapest labor as fast as they can get them out the door so you be the judge.
Remember also that people like to complain! You will find more complaints than you will find kudos on any RV website. Take the advice on the forums with a grain of salt, do your homework on the unit you want to buy and enjoy the experience!

Good luck and happy Holidays!

Ian

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Site Team

There hasn't been very much good press here for the older Rushmore's, that's for sure.
Whether or not they have improved the QC on the newer models, I don't know.
I think if it was me, I would hold off for awhile and do more investigating.
Like you stated, you are retiring soon and you don't want/need another full time job.
Not that other brands, models, different years don't have problems--they do.
Patience is a virtue, and so often can be very rewarding.
Good luck with your search, and choice.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Mandate a 5 year "full Coverage" Warranttee as part of sale at no extra cost.
Beware of Lippert Schwintek Slides!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

To put it in perspective try going to other RV owners sites and read what others are saying about their units. If you still feel there are too many complaints about the Rushmore then don't buy one. I think you will find that every site will have a majority of negatives compared to positives. It's the nature of the Internet.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

If you like the Washington get 1 that is made after Nov. of 2013. that is when they changed to the redwood plant. I have 2014 Washington I had a couple minor issues. We love the floorplan and the unit.
grandpadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemistic View Post
Mandate a 5 year "full Coverage" Warranttee as part of sale at no extra cost.
Why not just demand a new trailer every season. Nobody would ever agree to something like that in this industry.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I noticed it is a 2013 so I'm guessing it is used. If it is used there will he no factory warranty as all manufacturers only provide the warranty to the original owner. That said you can purchase an aftermarket extended warranty for the Rushmore (or any other used trailer). Used or new, that trailer is going on two years old. Look very carefully for any sign of leaks or wetness inside and out. Look in corners, back of cabinets etc. Look for bubbling, unevenness, bumps of any kind. Check caulking for cracks, look for odors. If it's musty, I would walk away.

All of that said, I can tell you for certain the problems you see here are across the board for all manufacturers. Basically all manufacturers make great trailers and all manufacturers make lemons. My crossroads zinger was one of the good ones, especially for an entry level trailer. I sold it because we wanted a rear entertainment fiver instead of a bunk house tt. I now have a much more expensive 2014 forest river/palomino Sabre that we purchased new in July. It has been riddled with issues. In fact it took a return trip to the factory on Dec 9 with a list of 40 outstanding issues. I just got word today that it is fixed and will be back at our house on Sunday! The key here is to learn how a manufacturer handles the issues and backs their product. Crossroads stood behind my zinger and fixed the few minor things under warranty at my dealership. I know others here who crossroAds fixed their trailer back at the factory. I can also tell you forest river has been great to deal with in getting my current rig fixed. Whatever trailer you get, understand you will see issues from every brand. Look on the manufacturer specific forums to see how those problems were handled. Also, understand that getting work done locally could be difficult as some dealerships are bad about working on trailers they did not sell. I'm not sure where in NC you are but if you are interested in who is better and worse for service pm me. Good luck in your hunt.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

A extended warranty is fine but it dosent deal with the headache of being without your unit and getting it someplace to get the work done.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

It is the nature of a forum for people to vent their frustrations. The bad will always be numerous. I have been on some of the other manufacturer forums and they are in fact the same way. My TT is at the dealer now. Been there a 1 1/2 months! Even though out of warranty my front cap has been repainted (was notated under warranty) as well as some water damage due to a leaky skylight that is being covered despite being out of warranty. My point is find a dealer you trust no matter what you decide to buy.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
A extended warranty is fine but it dosent deal with the headache of being without your unit and getting it someplace to get the work done.

But at least it's getting repaired for minimal cost. Whether your without your unit when it's at a dealer or sitting at your home waiting for you to repair it and waiting for parts, you are still without your unit for camping purposes.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post

Very true.
If you are living in the RV and need work done on it and can't do it yourself, I can imagine how frustrating it could be. You could be without it for who knows how long if it went to a dealer for repair. Then where would you set up house keeping?
Granted, if you had extended warranty the bill should be covered---unless there was one of those gotcha clauses in there.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Site Team

For the full timers there's always the rv mobile service. Our local mobile service travels all over doing on site repairs, minor and major. Most warranties cover mobile repair services.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I dont full time ,but I live in mine several months a year when working away from home. I have only had to pack up and head to a dealer once.
Some places I have been there is no mobile RV service and the nearest dealer has been 80 to 90 miles away.
that could be a major inconvience for a full timer. After my warranty was up I decided to do everything my self unless it was a frame or major structural problem.
If ther are repairs you dont feel comfortable with and you are staying in a park 9 times out of 10 someone staying there has!
Thats why you should get to know your neighbors!
After owning a RV for a few years I think you need to be a "handy" person to own one. If your not you need to learn fast!
Old 12-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Just make the best choice you can
Just remember they are all Junk.
And thrown together.
Just check everything and water test it before you take delivery
If they say no. Walk away.
Just my $.002

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Personal message sent...
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Take your time when your buying. Find the one that best fits your needs and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Don't be shy, go on top, underneath and all around. Make them fix any little thing. But it's very important to have a good dealer. We have a 2013 ST32BH and have had a few small problems. Our dealer took care of them under warranty with no problems. The last trip we were there, we stayed in our TT in one of the bay's while they fixed it. Get a GOOD DEALER!

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayzik View Post
Today is my first day on this site. I signed up because we are looking at purchasing a Rushmore soon (our first RV). The price is very good, but now I can see why. After reading quite a bit of info on this site (all very helpful), I am now scared to get the 2013 Rushmore 39W Washington we were looking at. We are traveling to TN this coming weekend to look at a 2013 Washington. With all of the issues you folks have been having, I'm not sure I want to take on that kind of trouble. I am retiring soon, and don't want another full time job fixing my RV Home. Is it worth the trouble and headaches?????? Any and all comments are welcomed. Thanks, Neil and Vicky.

Happy Holidays
We bought our 2014 mt Rushmore Washington last jan. Our issues have been getting the warranty work done. We bought from camping world being assured all of them would service it but that turned out to be a lie. We have had multiple issues if suspect it would true of any mfg. I think in retrospect we would have gone with a more popular brand to help with servicing. We love the floor plan and most of the issues have been annoying. Since we live in our full time we did demand on our sites servicing. We had to pay then get reimbursed
snowdoc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Don't get me wrong I love my Jefferson its just the workmanship
Sucks.
If they would have taken a bit more pride in their work I would only have had a few small issues instead of a lot.
And if the dealer would have done what they where supost to do I would be very happy
But since the dealer didn't follow through with there end
And the mobile repair guys are worse.
And the manufacture lies.
The whole thing stinks
And the owner is the one that suffers in the end

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDG View Post
Don't get me wrong I love my Jefferson its just the workmanship
Sucks.
If they would have taken a bit more pride in their work I would only have had a few small issues instead of a lot.
And if the dealer would have done what they where supost to do I would be very happy
But since the dealer didn't follow through with there end
And the mobile repair guys are worse.
And the manufacture lies.
The whole thing stinks
And the owner is the one that suffers in the end
Goodness! Why not sell yours and spare yourself all the heartache?
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote