Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello!

Well, the air conditioning saga continues for our 2006 Paradise Pointe travel trailer. The update is this - the control panel of the air conditioner is bad and has to be replaced. But here's the deal - the RV center we have been dealing with said that they ordered the part, but the wrong part was shipped to them, and so they called Crossroads, I believe, and they said "oh, we're sorry, we don't manufacture that type of air conditioner anymore", so we are without the part STILL!!!! This is just an unreal situation. So now, we are in search of a control panel for our air conditioner or we will have to just replace the entire thing! Crazy huh???? The power is working now, which is nice, but now we also have the dometic refrigerator recall to deal with as well. This has just been a wonderful Crossroads experience - NOT! Very frustrated!! Will keep you all posted! Thanks!
lovetocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is it a remote control AC unit or one with the wall thermostat?
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The control panel would be supplied by the A/C manufacturer. If they no longer produce that unit Crossroads has nothing to do with it. What brand and model of A/C unit is it?

The Dometic refrigerator recall has affected every manufacturer of RV that use them which is every RV manufacturer out there, it is not limited to Crossroads. All of the appliances are supplied by 3rd party manufacturers, doesn't matter if you have a $5K pop-up or a $500K MH, if they had one of the defective Dometic refrigerators they were subject to the recall.

Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Sorry to say this, but I question what you have been told by your dealer. First, manufacturers like Crossroads don't typically stock industry standard items like the A/C and Crossroads certainly doesn't built any A/C. Second, dealers can buy these same items thru distributors and that is where they order replacement parts. Third, since your unit is out of warranty there is no need for the dealer to contact Crossroads on an industry wide item. If they have competent techs that can diagnose the problem and a service manager that can place an order with the distributor, there should be no problem. Finally, again since your unit is out of warranty, you can take it to any RV dealer with RVIA licensed techs and they can work on your A/C, it doesn't matter what manufacturer built the RV, the A/C is still the same.

I think your dealer is blaming Crossroads for his own shortcomings. More likely, it is the distributor that no longer stocks the needed part. But that just means the service manager at the dealership has to contact other distributors to find the right part.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Lovetocamp... I think you may want to find a new dealer. The dealer obviously has no idea what the difference is between the mfg. of the a/c and the mfg. of the trailer. Which is really scary. Who's the dealer? I want to make sure I never do business with them.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Actually, this was my fault. The dealer spoke to my husband and said they are contacting a distributor for the part, so it was my mistake and my misinformation. It's a Dometic A/C unit and a Dometic frig. I'm just really sad we have had SO many problems with only a 5-year-old trailer. It just seems to have been one thing after another. Camping is not supposed to be stressful!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

PS the unit is a remote control A/C unit, which is really NOT user friendly either! Would rather have a thermostat.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the clarification... I can tell you from past experience that Dometic parts are very expensive. For some reason the defrost switch on my fridge fell out and Dometic wanted over $25 for a new one. Radioshack was about $2

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Will certainly keep that in mind about the cost. We'll see what transpires over the next few days! Thanks, as usual, for all the feedback. Everyone is great here!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Glad things are settling down. As far as the fridge recall, any dealer that is authorized to service Dometic products can do the recall repair in about an hour. It is no big deal. Just make sure they test the fridge on both electric and gas operation after the repair. As I recall there have been a few issues on the gas side.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks so much for that advice! Will do that! Much appreciated...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

lovetocamp, the remote unit can be converted to a wall thermostat. It requires a different controller board, a thermostat and the wiring run between the two. Our unit came with two remote AC units and the the one in the living room was a nightmare from the get go. We had so much trouble it was converted to a dual zonethermostat by Dometic under warranty at the local Camping World. The one in the bedroom (knocking on wood) has been no probelm once we figured out how to use the remote. If you are still having issues with the remote after you get the new controller board installed let me know and maybe I can help with the remote setup. Good luck.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks so much! I may take you up on that!!!

Lisa