Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Valve identification

How do I know which valve outside is for black and gray tanks? Not labeled. No diagram. Very frustrating. Also, there is a small blue tube with threads extending below the trailer in line with the water inlets. Anyone know what that is? Thanks

Griff Guy Gone Huntin'
2018 Sunset Trail Ultra Lite 271 RL
jimonalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Hey Jim, put your year and model in your signature, it will help get better answers.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

First of all, just like at home I never put grease down the drain for obvious reasons. If camping for several days leave the gray tank open until the night before you leave. Your gray tank will fill up quickly if closed taking showers and washing dishes. Then close it the night before so you can have water in the gray tank to flush out the hose after you dump the black tank. The small pipe with threads on it is probably the drain for your fresh water tank. It’s usually at the rear of the unit underneath. You will probably also have two more together farther up for your hot and cold low point drains. Mine is underneath on passenger side in front or the tires. Also a good way to tell which valve is which is to turn on the sink water and open each valve outside to see which one is running out. Then label so you’ll remember. The gray is for sinks, shower. The black is only for the toilet. Also first thing I do when I get a new unit is to replace the plastic plug on the hot water tank drain with one of theses. Then I can drain my hot water tank without having to use a wrench to get the plastic plug out. I also carry for bags of the stackable leveling blocks. This past week I went camping and actually needed all of the blocks to level the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 369BA887-7BF2-4766-BBCD-E5EF3EB772DB.jpeg (184.3 KB, 31 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Team

If your tanks are empty, place a bucket under the valve then ---open one at a time and run water down the drains. It should tell you which one is for the grey tank. Then you can label them accordingly.

A picture or two of the tube you are talking about will help.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Team

The "blue "tube may be a low point drain or the drain for the water tank.
On leaving the gray tank open - leave it shut till you are ready to dump. If you are on full hook ups just pull the valve drain the tank each morning or evening then shut it if you are not on hook ups you cant leave it open anyways. Draining the tank with a full or near full tank helps to flush it out. Also if you wash dishes you will get some grease and food down the drain and leaving the valve closed till full will help flush all that out.

We have a clear fitting on the drain hook up and there is a lot of particles that come out. We have fought the results of someone leaving the gray kitchen tank open.

* This is my opinion based on my experience and it works for me you do what works for you!*
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I agree pick up a clear sewer hose coupler, that will help you identify which valve is which. It will also help when at the dump station to let you see when your black water tank is running clear water while flushing it out.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Black permanent marker is a handy friend to place references in strategic spots out of site. Sometimes the old memory needs a little kickstart as to how things should be from one year to the next, Like BLACK WATER, GRAY WATER, WINTERIZING/SUMMER USE for the water heater valves, etc. I've marked many things rather than wait for the cheap paper references to fall off then have to search for answers down the road.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Team

On campers with the valves under the camper it would be the one with the larger handle. Not sure on the ones with the enclosed valves. But good idea about the bucket then add water to the kitchen then pull drain valves to see what handle works then do the same for the shower if you have 3 tanks then the one left would be the black tank. If its new as never had anything in the black tank just put water down the toilet and pull handles one at a time till it runs out.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

If your bathroom is at back of camper I’m going to go out on a limb and say valve ahead of outlet is the grey water. Valve behind outlet would be black water.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

You all are a great help. I had hoped I didn't need to experiment with the outlet valves, but I went for it. For future reference on the 271rl, the bathroom is in the back. With the tiny white dots coming out, I assumed that the black tank valve is on the left- toward the back. The blue drain under the trailer is the fresh drain. I purchased and installed the Waste Master using a cam for sealed connections. It has a clear elbow and works fantastic. Got the hot water heater going but between the AC and the hot water I kept blowing the circuit breaker to the house. I have heavy duty chocks and prepared for any electrical issue. I have two sets of blocks for jacks. I purchase a long-lasting cooler (not a yeti) and we are prepared for extra refrigeration. My 4-point weight distribution hitch and Roadmaster Active Suspension leaf-helpers make it an amazing haul. My electric brakes work like a charm. My one need: more horsepower. But, I have all the time in the world to get nowhere! I would have preferred a test camp outing, but it didn't happen. I think we're ready, thanks to all your help. We head out tomorrow for Montana and places in between on a two week trip. Thanks everybody, I finally feel confident for the trip.

Griff Guy Gone Huntin'
Old 07-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #11
Site Team

Check and see if the water heater and the AC are on the same breaker. It's always possible to run the water heater on LP to eliminate that problem.
Have a great and safe trip.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
Site Team

What size breaker do you have at your house? You need at least a 30 amp to run the AC and water heater at the same time. Have a SAFE trip and remember to relax and have fun - that's the point of the camper.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Have a great trip! There will be a learning curve but hopefully not dealing with problems.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

The problem w/ the "radiator drain" style HW tank drain valve is that it does not allow calcium deposits to flush easily?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

1) Blue tube usually Cold Water piping low point drain; 2) hot = red, 3) FW tank= white? 4th is the HW tank plug
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

We made it home safely two days ago with a great 2 weeks of travel and camping behind us. Everything went smoothly. Our biggest issue was trying to remember where we stored everything inside the trailer. It was an overwhelming task to learn before we left but you all made it very doable. Thanks

Griff Guy Gone Huntin'
Old 07-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
Site Team

Glad you had a good trip. One thing we have done for years is when you winterize do a "purge". Go thru everything and say did we use this? If not do we need this? If not then take it out. We started taking everything we thought we may need but found a lot of it we never used so out it comes. This frees up storage space and reduces weight.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Great idea. Big learning curve that requires ongoing attention, I'm sure.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Glad to hear you had a good trip. It takes time to know what you will need and what you might use. Most of our trips are within 3 hour drive. I do the purge for long haul trips. Biggest thing we remove would be outdoor deep fryer, zero gravity lounge chairs and the Add-a-room.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote