Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
New Camper

Anybody else think that ALL CrossRoad Dealers should do service work on ALL CrossRoad products they represent.... NOT just for the customers they have sold units too... Or is it just me being stupid?? I bought from a dealer 268 miles away because they had the unit I wanted in stock. Now the dealer 40 miles away won't do any Warranty work.. is this a problem anybody has encountered?? Won't the Manufactuer reimburse any dealer for Warranty work?? What am I missing

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ranchhand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Dealers can be finicky. Mine gives me priority over other units not purchased there. If they get real busy, that can be a big benefit. I have not experienced a flat refusal to do warrantee work from another dealer.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think if you sell Crossroads you should service all crossroads. Even though I know it happens I can't believe Crossroads allows it to.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Sadly this is not limited to Crossroads or RV's in general. A few years ago we were 900 miles from home and had a problem with our GMC pickup. There was a Chevy dealer 1/2 mile from our location, so I took the truck there to have it checked. The service manager told me they only worked on Chevy trucks and I would have to take truck 30 miles away to a GMC dealer. Now some may disagree, but working on a GMC or a Chevy is pretty much working on the same GM product!
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

was told that the real reason that they won't service a unit bought someplace else is that they didn't sell the product and make the profit so they don't want to hear the complaining, which in reality makes alot of sense, RV manufacutures have no actual money in a dealership so they have no control over what they do, auto companies have working capitol in dealerships and they can call some of the shots, my dealer got into a tiff with crossroads and just simply dropped the whole line and went with Carriage....I agree that they should all work on the brand that they sell but in reality they could care less about a problem with a unit they never made any profit on, the thought is why get into the middle of a problem you didn't originate.......

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Call Crossroads and complain. The only way this will ever get noticed is by people complaining.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I think it is shortsighted by dealers, but they are a private business and can decide who they want to do business with. Crossroads cannot influence that.

The dealer I take my unit to treats me as a second class citizen, and limits the number of items I can have fixed. What they don't understand is that the warranty is a fixed amount of time, once it expires I can go anywhere. Very shortsided, but most small business people don't see big picture and vision.

The dealer I go to isnow owned by CampingWorld and I hope that the CW influence brings about some changes (probably the week after my warranty expires).

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I think the problem is that people who travel miles away to get a better deal (thinking people who use RVW to save $$.) Makes sense and most would be willing to drive the distance once. But when you have issues and take it to another (local) dealer they might want to know why you didn't go to them in the first place. Part of what you are looking for is a relationship with the dealer so they will help you out with issues. I certainly understand wanting to save money on the purchase price, but I also understand what the dealers are thinking. I felt like a second class citizen when i brought the trailer in for the dometic recall. I figured I was throwing the local dealer (who does not carry Crossroads) some easy work, but I do not think he thought the same thing...

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

As with any business, you have to sell yourproduct and/or service to make money. If I goto a business and feel as ifI'm not welcome I simply take my business elsewhere.If that means driving 268 miles to getexactly what I want then I have to take into consideration the fact I might have to drive 268 miles back to get service.If a closer dealer is willing to work on my unit even though I didn't buy it there than I am greatfull. If they do not then that's their decision. I will remember that and probably will not consider them for future business. Inthis economy I wouldn't thinkdealers would be toparticular as tohow theybring money in the door. Just curious, did yougive the closer dealer thechance to get theexact floorplan you wanted?
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for the replies... here is more detail to fill in the blanks.. When I did my research on what kind of a 5th wheel I wanted I did it on line and asked for a dealer close to me who had the seville. I got two both over 250miles so I bought from the one who responded to my emails and subsequent calls.

I was un aware that this dealer 40 miles from me even existed or sold Cross Roads. ( Not even sure he had the franchise last october when I bought. I am a small business man from a small town and do ALLWAYS try to buy local...

I was wondering if anyone knew if Crossroads mandate their dealers (All) to service their units as part of the franchise agreement.

With the state of the industry it seems short sited not to do business with everyone who would bring business. I have emailed Crossroads and am awaiting a responce.. I see they sold to Thor about 16 months ago so maybe that is affecting things.

Thanks for all the responces ... I'll let you know how it all turns out!!!
Ranchhand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Crossroads does not have the authority to mandate anything at any dealer, if a mutual resolution can't be reached between the customer and the dealer they will send you to another dealer....that is all they can do, remember crossroads is always looking to pick up a dealer, the dealer just sells what give them the best gross profit margins, they could care less as to what brand it is....it's a cruel world, but business is business....and you sure can't blame the dealer for wanting to make a living,alot of the problems with RV's of all brands is that they are simply thrown together and alot of the problems should have been resolved at the plant before the unit was ever shipped, as far as the dealer worrying about future sales, you were never a customer to begin with, he has his own customer base and he is going to take care of them, they are the one's who come back and buy again....thee customer who is strictly a bargin shopper is not the customer you really want, for some consumers that is hard to believe but in the retail world it's a fact...........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

My understanding of the manufacturer/dealer relationship for RVs is that the manufacturer has no right to enforce a policy upon the dealer, such as servicing all of their products. That's thebad news. The good news is that in most dealerships they view the service department as a separate profit center and wish to repair all RVs, not just the brands they carry. If you purchased a unit from the dealership and/or are a repeat service customer it is reasonable to expect you will receive preferential treatment. But each dealer is free to choose how they wish to handle it.

The dealership where I purchased my unit has been cordial enough, but they have a high priority on servicing 1. Motorhomes they have sold, 2. other motorhomes 3. towables they have sold and 4. other towables. Being third in the pecking order doesn't sit particularly well with me. In my case I was able to find an RV repair specialty shop who is authorized to do Crossroads warranty work. I never have a problem getting in and the repairs are always done right. Good people with extraordinary service. Perhaps you can find someone like this to work with.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

We buy our trucks from a dealer about 50 miles from us because they have always given us the best price. We have had to have warranty work done a couple of times and I called the Dodge dealer a couple of miles from us and the service writer always says bring it in no problem. He told me the fact that I get a better deal from another Dodge dealer doesn't matter to him because they get paid for the warranty work rather I bought from them or someone else. To bad his sales people aren't as easy to work with as he is.

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

The question that continues with me is why do dealers not want the warranty work?

Assuming you did not purchase from a particular dealer, does he refuse based on not getting reimbursed enough from Crossroads, or is he "punishing" the owner for not buying from him.

If his reimbursement is not enough can he charge the owner the difference and explain the situation that he doesn't want to lose money?

I feel it's the latter. they want to remind you that you should have bought through them.

That being the case, I refuse to be a victim! I will pay for my work elsewhere (even if it's a warranty issue), and probably at a repair center where my business is appreciated. I will absolutely not be treated like they are doing me a favor.

Also, that's why I bought my trailer a long way from my home. I saved thousands that I can spend on repair work if needed.

Sorry, just had to vent!

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I guess dealers who service units they don't sell must do so to stay in business......

Seems like a odd concept given the fact that Traffords RV in Conway, Nh who sells Crossroads services ALL makes, models and units - they work with customer's who are on the road (a big thing in NH where most are from out of state) and often manufacturer's recommend them to customer's who are stuck in the area.

Perhaps they are running a bad business model... OR - perhaps they are doing the right thing. They are also a Carriage dealer who is a multi-year award winning Carriage retailer and have been in business over 25 years and were voted one of the top 50 dealers int he country by their peers and customers.

Call me crazy but I'll go back there next time I need ANY camper or parts. As for the other's who turn their back on their customers or potential customers I can only hope the bad economy weeds them out of the market place.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

You can always use the Crossroads Service Center locator to see what dealer will do warranty work in your area. Some that are listed are not even CR dealers.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/buyers/service_center.asp

We intend to full time for a while after we retire in a couple of years and will probably buy a new unit before we do.At this point I can't say what brand it may be but I do intend to research how the manufacture handles warranty work when you can't get a dealer to work on it because you did not buy from them. I mean if you are living in a unit full time and traveling from State to State you can't be expected to take it back to the dealer you purchased from for warranty work. I don't see why any dealer would have an issue doing warranty work on any unit as long as they are getting paid for the work by the manufacture.

Before we bought our PP I was trying to work a deal at a dealer not 5 miles from us on another make of 5th wheel which is sold by RVW. I showed the salesman the RVW price and told him I would pay $2k more for it and order it through him to save me the trip to RVW and back and he said I can't order you one for that price. I saidthat is a fair price and what I will pay, he then told me if I bought from RVW he would not service it. We got up and walked out. I went back there a few weeks later to get a part and the manager saw me and told me that salesman was no longer there and could he make us a deal, I told him to late we had already bought a new trailer. I am not going to be threatened with no warranty service because they want to much for their units and I refuse to pay it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
The question that continues with me is why do dealers not want the warranty work?

Assuming you did not purchase from a particular dealer, does he refuse based on not getting reimbursed enough from Crossroads, or is he "punishing" the owner for not buying from him.

If his reimbursement is not enough can he charge the owner the difference and explain the situation that he doesn't want to lose money?

I feel it's the latter. they want to remind you that you should have bought through them.

That being the case, I refuse to be a victim! I will pay for my work elsewhere (even if it's a warranty issue), and probably at a repair center where my business is appreciated. I will absolutely not be treated like they are doing me a favor.

Also, that's why I bought my trailer a long way from my home. I saved thousands that I can spend on repair work if needed.

Sorry, just had to vent!

I think you hit the nail on the head. Most likely the dealer is "punishing" you for buying the unit elsewhere. Since all trailers use pretty much identical parts it makes sense to service allmakes. If my independent repair facility will do warranty work for Crossroads they must pay a competitive rate. I'll never understand the arrogance of some businesses, or people for that matter.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I know this is an old post,but thought it should be brought up again. I am Canadian Military a was transferred across the country and had the same issues with our last trailer, I was refused service because I did not buy from them I sold it ....Bought a Kingston in southern Ontario and had major problems with the dealer....will never buy from them again or even give them another cent even if it is warranty work. I talked to Crossroads sevrice about the problems and was told they would authorize the work at any other dealer just to have them contact Crossroads. Andi at Crossroads has been great to solve my issues, I think they really care about their customers satisfaction.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

You would think any company who lives on the freedoms the military fights for would understand the life of a military person who is stationed at different locations through their career. That's just pathetic.

Glad you have found Crossroads helpful. I love them so far.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Thank you for supporting the military, it is greatly appreciated by all who serve their countries. We cannot say anything bad about crossroads!

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote