Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Warranty work...HEADACHE?

Well, I am learning my first valuable lesson with where to purchase your TT!

I live near Pittsburgh, PA but bought my TT in Akron, OH. I have a 1yr Manufacturer warranty plus 6 more years through GoodSam Extended Warranty. (wanted to feel safe with any malfunctions)

I am learning that NO ONE will do warranty work if they didn't sell me the TT??????

So, I guess when I need something fixed, I will need to drive 2 hours to Camping World in Akron and leave it. Then drive back to get it.

WHAT A HEADACHE!

I thought this would have been like a car. Take it in and get the estimate, then file claim, get check, pay for work....
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We bought our trailer in Michigan, a ten hour drive from home. We have it serviced less than an hour from home. The only caveat is that we pay the dealer for the work, Crossroads sends them the parts, and we get reimbursed from Crossroads for the work. It takes a while to get the check from Crossroads, but they have always come through for us.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
New Camper

It could be worse. We bought our trailer from a dealer 20mins away, and a month later they went bankrupt. Next closest dealer was 8hrs across the border (we live in Canada). I was not alone so CR had to find a solution to all the CR owners up here. We were told to bring it to any local dealer to access work, dealer would send pictures and describe work needed, then CR would "authorize" time and $ to dealer to fix problem.

In theory sounds easy...it wasn't. You have the a dealer that owes you nothing since you didn't buy the trailer from them, you are the in-law customer. CR authorizes the minimum time/$ which doesn't make the dealer very happy. And you who just spent 20-30K on a trailer is asked to pay for what's not covered.

So you're right it is not like a car. A 2hr commute will eliminate you taking your trailer in for anything small. Good luck, you may have to tackle some repairs yourself.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Jimmerz, I apologize. I didn't put your geography together when you discussed buying this in your "about to take the leap" thread. Yes, it's a sad lesson learned by many. Here's why: Baby Boomers are buying TTs like crazy, as we all head for our Golden Years, and trying to get away from the maddening crowd. Manufacturers are scrambling to meet the demand, and to crank them out quickly, must be hiring inept workers, who slap things together in a hurry without looking back. As stated above, warranty work is not lucrative for the dealer. There is a lot of warranty work that needs to be done out there, and only a limited amount of authorized service centers. They take care of their own first. Next comes the cash-paying customers, who will end up paying high repair costs out of pocket. That's it. You've just filled the shop for the whole work week. There is no room for somebody else's warranty work. You would think this would open up a large segment of aftermarket shops, just like non-dealer auto repair shops. But I haven't seen many.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Speaking from my own experience I think its a good idea to do anything you can yourself even if it would be covered by warranty. You may not always be happy with the work done by someone else, plus the trouble of getting it to the dealer and picking it up when the work is done.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenr View Post
Speaking from my own experience I think its a good idea to do anything you can yourself even if it would be covered by warranty. You may not always be happy with the work done by someone else, plus the trouble of getting it to the dealer and picking it up when the work is done.
I agree in doing as much as possible yourself. during my warranty period, Lynn Duggins at Crossroads sent me the parts to accomplish the repair my self. It was a win win. They did not have to pay labor and I did not have to deal with a dealer.

There are some things where you need a professional. In my case the dealer from whom I purchased the un it is only a few miles away. However, I have no trust in or regard for them at all. I found a dealer service center 2 1/2 hous away wirh RVIA Certified technicians. I have gladly driven there to receive expert service.

But, there is no reaqson what so ever that the RV industry's warranty process is so different from the automotive industry's process. There should be a clause in the dealership's contract with Crossroads that they will service any Crossroads product regardless of where purchased.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=There should be a clause in the dealership's contract with Crossroads that they will service any Crossroads product regardless of where purchased.[/QUOTE]

I so agree with you on that! There are many reasons why an owner goes elsewhere for service - bought the unit further away, moved to a new city after buying the unit, service department where it was bought sucks, or one could just be on the road somewhere (these things come with wheels for a reason!).

Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Crossroads should post on their website a list of approved warranty repair shops. That would be a tremendous help.

Christian and Taylor, can you help with that???

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We bought our unit from a dealer maybe 3 miles from us. They were worthless for warranty work (or anything else)! After a couple screw ups, I found an independent RV service that is approved by Crossroads for their warranty work. Wish there were more like them.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

mark5w, I second that motion!!! Christian and Taylor, are you reading this post and is it possible?? Thanks.
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Crossroads should post on their website a list of approved warranty repair shops. That would be a tremendous help.

Christian and Taylor, can you help with that???
Agree, if you mean authorized shops/repair stations that are NOT dealers.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Site Team

I don't think you can get a list that is not dealers, but any list would help.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

There's a guy in our area who fixes RVs, sells & installs hitches, sells RV supplies, etc. He is not a dealer of any particular brand. Why couldn't he be an authorized repair person for any brand? Why should there have to be RV sales involved? The place where we get our vehicles serviced does not sell vehicles, just services them. Why can't it be the same for RVs?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I don't think you can get a list that is not dealers, but any list would help.

So, could we compile our own list somewhere on this board? I sure don't think the service company I use would mind the free advertising! I know if I were traveling, it would sure be nice to look on here to see if there is a good service company in the area. BTW, the one we use is mobile also. Twice as nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

There is no reason one could not use an independent. The problem is just like cars and trucks you must use a dealer for warranty work. I avoid dealers at all cost when it comes to my vehicles.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote