Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

"When I bought the camper,Campign Worldnever did a pressure test or water test on it."

I have never heard of any place that does when selling new.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are between a rock(Crossroads) and a hard place(ins. co).

If one is right the other is wrong.

May be time for the "L" word.

I don't think that camping world has anything to do with this.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Your camper went through a hurricane with wind driven rain and abnormal conditions. I still say CW's assessment that it's a factory defect is tough to prove with a leak test. As the selling dealer, you'd think they'd be on your side and default to "natural causes" versus factory defect. The chance you recieved a unit that had leaks "all over the unit" is very difficult to believe. I've had a handful of units and even the worst sealed (a Jayco, BTW) had just one window and one baggage door with a slight gap in the sealant. Even at that rate, the amount of water leaked was wiped up with a paper towel.

Best of luck...
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

The bad seals are along the roof line. That is we're the water came from
swampi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I'd love to see pictures.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

I think you need to get with you insurance company once more it sounds like wind damage to me. The only way I can see it happening is wind got inside and lifted the roof seperate it from the rest of the unit

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Just looked at a Zinger again versus the Jayco(I know, pick one..). Like mentioned in the brochure I have, the Zinger has a rolled transition wrap from the roof decking to the wall, the rubber roof membrane is laid over the roof and hangs over the side wall where a trim molding ties it into the wall header. The water would have to go up under the molding, membrane, and rolled edge to reach the inner most wall.

This is why I wanted to see the pictures - water can do funny things when driven by 100 mph wind.Looking at the 2013 on the lot today, it just seems like a path that could only occur in the worst of storms- a hurricane.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
I can only thank God that we have never had to live through a hurricane and can only say it is very unfortunate anyone has to and just be thankful for those who survived. Maybe the shaking from the storm caused the caulking used to seal the joints of the trailer to loosen and leak as a result. There also could be some structural damage which can't be seen until the outer skin is removed so I would be leary of using the unit until I checked this out. If this is the case then I think that it may not be a manufacture fault and therefor the insurance company may be looking for an out on this one. Good luck
denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

Well the results finally came in after 5 1/2 months. I'm screwed and have to pay for the damage out of my pocket. I have never been screwed like this before. I will never deal with crossroads again. I will most likely have to scrap this camper due to not being able to use it again. Crossroads said that it was from hurricane and lack of owner maintenance. Not sure how they came to that decision. I always checked out my camper from top to bottom when I used it and after rain storms. It was brand new when purchased. Why would I not take care of it. Maybe I go to the press as see if they can help. I'm done with any crossroads products.
swampi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampi28
Well the results finally came in after 5 1/2 months. I'm screwed and have to pay for the damage out of my pocket. I have never been screwed like this before. I will never deal with crossroads again. I will most likely have to scrap this camper due to not being able to use it again. Crossroads said that it was from hurricane and lack of owner maintenance. Not sure how they came to that decision. I always checked out my camper from top to bottom when I used it and after rain storms. It was brand new when purchased. Why would I not take care of it. Maybe I go to the press as see if they can help. I'm done with any crossroads products.

I'm sorry to hear that. It seems to me like your insurance company is the one giving you the shaft. Hurricanes are extenuating circumstances. I'm not sure there is any RV out there that is built to withstand hurricane conditions without problems. Have you checked with an attorney to see if you have any recourse?
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

"I'm sorry to hear that. It seems to me like your insurance company is the one giving you the shaft. Hurricanes are extenuating circumstances. I'm not sure there is any RV out there that is built to withstand hurricane conditions without problems. Have you checked with an attorney to see if you have any recourse"

I believe mike has the right answers. Wind, especially from high wind, will put water in many places that it will not otherwise go. Check the soffits and gable vents on houses. Think water doesn't get in there during high winds?

Crossroads, imo, is not the problem...its your insurance company you should be after.

Check with you state attorney. The were words put out to the insurance companies after that storm to the effect of "Don't try to weasel out". The right call to the right place, I think, will get you some help.

Ask your insurance company for the number of the state attorney, insurance commissioner or whatever.

Good luck. Don't give up this easy.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

We've all hinted that the insurance company is doing the owner a huge disservice, but I believe the OP firmly believes its CR fault. Without seeing it for myself or pictures of the unit I'll agree with the previous poster - a camper isn't designed for a full blown hurricane.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I agree with Mike and the others...if your camper withstood the full fury of Hurricane Sandy...IMHO that is what caused all that water in your unit...I do not believe you should be looking to CR for the answer...I would not be...this is a catastrophic event...and as suggested...I would talk to the AG of your great state...they love to make examples of company's that try to weasel out on claims that should be self-evident. I would not sit there and think this is your liability...not until you try every door to get answers...keep pushing...a phone call or letter to the AG is cheaper than putting out the money.

Good luck...we're all praying for you,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote