Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
New Camper

Water getting in and mold developing

We have a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve and , this season, after removing the cover and opening everything up, I discovered damp carpeting and the beginnings of mold. The crazy thing is it’s been covered all winter! I think water is somehow getting in around our slide out. No rain comes in when it’s open though. Maybe there is a gap occurring when it’s closed? Anyone have any suggestions or any similar experience with this problem? Water/ mold has always been my biggest concern and here we are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maureenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Covers aren't waterproof. Water is hard to track down. Have you checked the caulking around all your roof vents, edges? Is it wet in the slide or around the slide? Could be a gasket wasn't fully flipped when you closed it. In my last camper I had a wet floor in my slide, turned out water was getting in where the wall and floor met.
SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You may have an area water is getting in, but it could be humidity getting in and staying in. A vent or window should be left cracked. A vent cover will allow you to leave a vent open without rain getting in.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Winter tends to be less humid than summer most places so it seems more likely to be a leak, if you haven't had the problem before. You're going to have to try to follow the water trail back from the wet spot(s) to the entry point. Water can flow a long ways but usually the leak is near and above the wet area. I'd look at slide seals, windows and roof area nearby.

Since I have power near mine, I run a small dehumidifier in it all summer even though I have no leaks.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Around clearance lights is also a source for water leakage. Check them, take them off and reseal the top and side edges.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
New Camper

We had a leak that rotted out part of the floor in the bedroom and entrance door. Turns out it was getting in at the top of the awning mount. Remove and add lots of clear silicone.
Good luck!
debnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We had a similar problem on our 2012 trailer and it was the roof and the seal of the rubber membrane to the perimeter of the roof. We ended up replacing the entire roof, including all of the braces and decking, $8,000 with no help from anyone. The roof missed all of inspections until it was too late.
We bought the trailer from Lazy Days, and their repair work was shoddy, so we went to Camping World. Their work was better but also very pricey.
papabear9695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
New Camper

Could be slide seals, inspect both sides. Repair or replace as needed.
Rpeck22739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
New Camper

Figured it out!

Well, it turned out to be a hole in the skylight cover in the bathroom! New one is on order and the current one is patched for now. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Maureenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

A common problem as the boneheads that assemble tthem over torque the thin plastic and it cracks. The edges and cracks are covered with roofing caulk then the crack gets bigger and gets exposed then leak. Make sure your dealer drills holes first and hand tightens the screws.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Found the same problem on ours, bath vent cracked under heavy caulk, could not see it but water got to it and leaked in shower. All fixed now.

Happy Camping Yall
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote