Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Site Team

I pulled the cruiser out of the shed today and sanitized the water system. (again)
There has been some talk about buildup in the water heater that needs to be flushed out. So I bought one of these.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...k-rinser/49070
My rig is five going on six years old and I have never used a tank flusher. I have never used one on any rig I have ever owned. Today I used it on the water heater expecting to see all kinds of crap flushed out. There was very little that was even visible, just a few white spots.
I attribute it to---filtered water only going into my tank, and "every" time after a trip, I drain the water system as best I can, and, "pull the plug out of the water heater".
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Do you recommend a particular water filter?

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

In line RV filter at Walmart, CW, and most RV stores (Camco about $17) Some folks use a whole house filter good for long stays. Available at Home Depot Lowes etc
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Team

We have a lot of sediment that gets pumped up from our well. I installed two whole house filters inline. First is just a cheap white sediment filter, second is a charcoal filter. All of our water goes through these filters. When we are camping and hooked up to the campground water. I have a whole house filter all my water goes though before getting to the trailer. Usually in our part of the country I will use a white sediment filter, out west where they have that nasty sulfur water, I use a charcoal filter.This like what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-HF-360A-Sediment-Cartridge-Included/dp/B000BQUPZ8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2/186-0495258-9321550
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I bought a two pack of the charcoal filters at WalMart. Cheap insurance in my opinion. I put it on when hooked to the water supply as well as to when I fill the tank.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
New Camper

Today i have to ask a question which is relating to your problem. Mywater heater flooded our garage. I am assuming it needs replacing because itsdisturbing</span>.. I shut off the water to the house and the pilot on the water heater, but problem is that how do I shut off the water going to the water heater easily how can i did it.?If anyone know then suggest me here...??
Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I pulled the cruiser out of the shed today and sanitized the water system. (again)
There has been some talk about buildup in the water heater that needs to be flushed out. So I bought one of these.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...k-rinser/49070
My rig is five going on six years old and I have never used a tank flusher. I have never used one on any rig I have ever owned. Today I used it on the water heater expecting to see all kinds of crap flushed out. There was very little that was even visible, just a few white spots.
I attribute it to---filtered water only going into my tank, and "every" time after a trip, I drain the water system as best I can, and, "pull the plug out of the water heater".

RV Water Heater Flushing:

You are lucky man. After watching a RV 101 clip on flush water
heaters, I purchased a few fittings that adapt a ¼” nylon tube to fit onto our
garden hose. We flush the water heater mid-summer and again before storage; that’s
each 3 months of continuous operation. Even with a water filter installed, I
always get a bunch of calcium Jellied globs. After a few days they can be seen on
the ground a small, white, hard mineral pellets. They are a larger version of
those deposits that get caught in the kitchen and vanity faucet screens. Hopefully
those deposits never make it back to the Thetford toilet valve.

My RV neighbor was interested in my water heater flushing
activity. He only gets about 2 gallons of hot water out of his system and he
has never flushed the water heater. He may be beyond flushing out the mineral
deposits.

Household 30-50 gallon water heater manufactures list
flushing of their water heaters in their maintenance instructions. </span>I think annually but I doubt that anyone does
it; I never have. Mineral deposits are the why those household heater weigh so
much more leaving and when installed. I originally thought it was me getting
older.