Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water Heater

Hi all, just took delivery of my Zinger 32QB today and trying to get everything set up and make sure it is operational.

I am plugged into shore power and have attempted to turn my water heater on but feel like I am missing something here...both literally and figuratively!

I don't seem to have a knob or dial for the pilot. I have tried both lp and electric but no hot water.

Do all water heaters have a dial to start the pilot?
Shortjac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

There isn't a pilot on them any more. There should be a switch inside the camper to turn it on. One for LP, and one for electric.

Make sure you have filled the tank with water before turning on the heat or you will burn out the heating element.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hi Lloyd, thanks for the information.

I still can't seem to get the pilot on. I have the city water connection hooked up, so I presume the water heater filled with water. Definitely don't want to burn it up on the first day.

I have a switch inside the camper that allows me to turn it onto electric(which I didn't do until well after the water was hooked up). I don't have any other switch inside that I am aware of. Is the "switch" location pretty universal? If so, mind sharing location? My switch to turn it on electric is just inside the door.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team

If your heater has LP capability's, the switch for that should be right next to the electric one. Mine are side by side.
When you filled with water,did you lift the pressure relief valve on the water heater to bleed off any air?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

There is no pilot in those hot water heaters. Most all of them have gas and electric. On mine there are two rocker switches together one turns on the gas and the other the electric Could be in Panel with other switches
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Lloyd,

I didn't lift the pressure release valve to release any air...please tell me this wasn't a rookie move and I have ruined the water heater.

As far as the switches go, I don't have one for gas, only electric.

Also, when I flip the electric switch to attempt to get it to light, the light stays on and outside at the water heater I can hear a beep.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Did you bleed off the air inside the camper with faucets?
If there was any water in the tank you probably didn't hurt anything.

I'm not familiar with your camper, but I find it hard to believe there isn't a switch for LP.

Open the door on it --- outside an see if there is a tube pointed at a hole towards the bottom of the heater. That would be where the flame comes out to heat water. You should see an LP line there also. (a little one)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

check to be sure the heater is not in the winterizing bypass mode. As Lloyd said open the relief valve to be certain the heater has water in it.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Ok...I got off my lazy rear from in front of the campfire, found out, you are a smart cookie! There is an LP switch. I turned it on. It lit. Hallelujah! Now, one more question, how do I get it to switch from LP to electric to conserve my gas? Do I simply turn both switches on?

Thanks for your patience! I dove in head first with a new camper...came from a hot water heater that plugged into a 15 amp outlet before(1978 Layton).
Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Russ,

You have me worried now...how would I know if it were in "bypass" mode?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Look at where the lines lead in to your water heater. I had to open the table seating seat and on mine it had bypass lines, a couple of valves. Turn those valves to the open position to allow water in to the hot water tank.
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Site Team

[QUOTE=Shortjac000;94870 Now, one more question, how do I get it to switch from LP to electric to conserve my gas? Do I simply turn both switches on?

Thanks for your patience! I dove in head first with a new camper...came from a hot water heater that plugged into a 15 amp outlet before(1978 Layton).[/QUOTE]

To go from LP to electric, just turn off the LP switch, and turn on the electric switch.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortjac000 View Post
Russ,

You have me worried now...how would I know if it were in "bypass" mode?
If you open the relief valve water will come out of it if the bypass is in the correct position for hot water.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...32fr-9271.html This is a picture of the bypass valves.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Uh oh, no water comes out of relief valve or the drain valve...guess I need to find the bypass. I opened a closed valve under the sink, but can't find any others and still no water in tank when water is on....hmmm...
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Here is a pic I found.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Well, I found the bypass. I had to remove a drawer and it was in the space behind it. I can hear the tank filling now. I am hopeful there is a safety feature that won't allow it to burn up the element that fast. Any experience with this? Going to turn it on electric now. Should know in an hour or so. Thanks for all of your help!!!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortjac000 View Post
Uh oh, no water comes out of relief valve or the drain valve...guess I need to find the bypass. I opened a closed valve under the sink, but can't find any others and still no water in tank when water is on....hmmm...
Hope you didn't toast your electrode. You should always purge air from tank and verify water in tank before turning on electric and or gas. Plenty of post and pics on this forum if you do a search.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #18
Site Team

Good luck. Let us know everything turned out.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Only have one switch on for your heater at a time. Either electric or LP. Some campers default to LP if both are on, but I would not chance it. Agree totally with making sure bypass valve is closed so you can fill tank. The valve on my camper is in the line feeding the water heater, inside the camper behind an access wall. If you have charged the city line you can pretty much track the line and find the valve by seeing where water is in the line and where it aint.
Dewinterized for the second time and I still screw it up. Charge the line, bleed the lines and heater, open bypass.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Congrats on the new home. I went to replace the anode on my used 2005 Cruiser and found out there wasn't one there like my previous camper. Talked to my buddy who just bought a new $50,000 5th wheel and he said the last 2 trailers he had didn't have one either.
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilot, water heater