Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water heater compartment cover

I have a 2013 CR Sunset Trail Reserve. ST29RL13.
Lately I have a problem with the hot water heater, GC6AA-10E failing to light after a hard rain. The DSL FLT light comes on.

First time was when the drain plug cracked and sprayed water everywhere inside the enclosure. Then when we had a hard rain blowing on that side, it did it again. It's done it several times now.

If I turn it off, wait 10 seconds or so and back on, it usually lights up.

Do I need to make that compartment more water proof or at least cover the circuit board? Something to shield it from rain coming in?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bob
bdh5574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I assume the factory cover is being used and installed properly. I have not had any issues with my Atwood W/H in 14 years like you are mentioning. You didn't say if you are trying to light the water heater on gas or electric. If electric you might try sealing the wiring contacts with a dielectric grease. If its a gas issue it may be water getting into a gas orifice. Are you the original owner? If not, check to make sure a previous owner hasn't removed a cover, baffle, etc that might allow water intrusion. Good luck.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

It's the stock original cover. I'm not the original owner but it looks like all the pics I've seen online.

It has the grill opening for the exhaust but I'm assuming it's coming in around he top. I found something called Polyhinge that I'm thinking about putting across the top to cover that seam.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...clickid=search

Still looking for where the water might be coming in.

Maybe it will help.

Bob
bdh5574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

My waterheater was acting up last fall, start and run a while on gas like 5-10 minutes then quit. Turn it off and back on and it would light again on gas then after 5 -6-7 minutes it would quit again. Turn off then back on, you see the picture !!! Turned out to be the circuit board, factory made in China model. Anyway after finding the correct match, and reading reviews, I ran across a review of a circuit board built in the USA by Dinosaur electronics, with 1000s of very happy campers, and the price was only a few dollars difference BUT not one bad review. Needless to say the decission was easy so that was my preferred replacement brand. I can't tell you how well it works as were fighting snow still, along with other issues but that was the path I took and saved a ton of headaches for future too. https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I already replaced the board once. This all started when I replaced a leaking drain plug on the water heater. It splashed all over the inside of the water heater compartment, getting the board wet. When I was done, it wouldn't light at all, gas or electric.
I went to a small, local travel trailer sales and service place. He is really friendly and helpful. He tested the board and said it reported as working but was very weak. So I bought a replacement. Over $165. But it did fix the problem.

Until the rain issue started. Now, if it rains hard slanting toward that side of the trailer, the fault light comes on. Reset and it's fine till he next hard rain.

That's the reason I'm thinking I need a way to keep water from getting in around the cover.

Bob
Old 04-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Well, after looking at the Dinosaur boards you referenced, I found a cover for the board that should eliminate the moisture getting to the board.

I will try that and see whathappens.

Thanks, Bob

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The door of course isn’t made to be sealed due to the vents and unless you have water pouring directly on the top of the door it shouldn’t matter. I’ve never had an issue with water causing a water heater to not light. Seems there is a different issue. Maybe you got another bad board or theirs a short. Water shouldn’t be the issue.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Bob
If the problem happens with both electric and gas I would say you are on the right track with the mother board cover...Make sure if it does work to post your success so others on the forum will benefit who might have the same problem...Good luck...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

BDH5574, you wouldn't be the first person to change a board, only to have another board act up. i'm thinking your replacement might be another Chinese brand and it was that exact type of a review that convinced me not to purchase there brand. Someone else said the same thing, but had to pull his trailer 60 miles to receive warranty, and the 2nd time around went dinosaur and saved the 120 miles round trip. Dinosaur brands do come with a cover as mine did, but I did have to make a few adjustments to my cover with the band saw to allow a convenient connection spot for the gas pilot light sensor. but that only took a few minutes and all is better than factory by a long shot. You might want to get that board checked out with a multimeter for a starter, and seems there were a few utube vids to help check that.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I understand that it's not meant to be completely sealed. I think the problem is when we get hard rain blowing at that side of the trailer. It then runs down the side of the trailer and comes in the top of the door.

We're full time living in it right now while renovating the house we were living in. Starting the 7th month now.

Had a toilet paper issue until we learned to use Angel Soft brand. No problems since.

This is our first travel trailer and it's been a learning experience! It's big enough that it's comfortable.

Thanks all for the suggestions and I'll let you know what happens after I get the board cover installed.

Bob
Old 04-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Site Team

If i understand correctly your board is currently not covered. If it is not it should be. It looks like a black rectangular box. The cover on mine has a seal to keep out water. Maybe someone took it off to work on it and forgot to reinstall it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

It wasn't covered when I bought the trailer used.

Here is a picture of it.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atwood gc6aa-10e water heater circuit board 1.jpg (191.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I assume the factory cover is being used and installed properly. I have not had any issues with my Atwood W/H in 14 years like you are mentioning. You didn't say if you are trying to light the water heater on gas or electric. If electric you might try sealing the wiring contacts with a dielectric grease. If its a gas issue it may be water getting into a gas orifice. Are you the original owner? If not, check to make sure a previous owner hasn't removed a cover, baffle, etc that might allow water intrusion. Good luck.
Nice advice
jacinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
RC3
Weekend Camper

I have had the same problem since new. Only happens when on propane. Works fine on electric. I’ve replaced the thermocouple and it has helped a little, in other words I can restart it again while still raining. Couldn’t before. Any other ideas?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Spiders like propane. Here is a link to an article about it. Perhaps not your problem but worth a shot. I keep a brush in the water heater compartment that I run into the flue at least once a season.

https://www.rvtravel.com/tools-for-rvers-flue-brush/
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #16
Site Team

Those big wasps like propane to.
I was getting the onboard propane tank filled on one of our MH some years back. The attendant told me the tank must be full because it wouldn't take any. When he disconnected, we found a wasp inside his connector.

I keep a small can with mothballs in it under the cover on the propane tank for the house. The guys that come and fill in the summer usually thank me for it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote