Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My water heater's plastic drain plug was leaking. I took it out and teflon taped it. When tightening it back, I twisted it off.
Have not been able to find another plastic one, so I have installed a brass one, with teflon tape and it leaks, so I tried some TFE liquid teflon and it leaks.
I have some plumbers putty, but haven't tried it yet.
We are in southeast Texas and it is really cold and windy today. so I have been holding off
applying the putty.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, because I hate leaks.
Thanks to all Jim

Crossroads Cruiser

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The plastic plugs are very common. Most RV supply stores carry them in various sizes depending on whether it is an Atwood or Suburban brand. I keep a spare in case your issue arises.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Jim, i wouldn't think the plumbers putty will work for that application. I'm just wondering if the internal threads on the tank may have a bad thread. When the weather conditions allow, it might be best if you take out the plug and inspect the threads on the brass plug and also the threads in the tank. I have ran into this problem before. If it is the threads, you may want to get a pipe tap. It's going to be a 3/4"NPT tap. The tank threads may just need to be "dressed" a little bit. Then just apply the teflon tape back on the plug

I hope this helps.
vickark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ditto. One of the easiest accessories to find in an RV supply department. I almost always have a spare on hand.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

dont pick up PVC...its a nylon plug. PVC wont handle the high temps.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks Guy's Jim

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Just to add, don't use plumbers putty - wrong application. Use teflon tape or pipe sealant. When using tape, most people do not wrap enough. On a 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread you should use at least 8-10 wraps. Also, get another nylon plug or use brass. Don't use galvanized with an aluminum tank. I screwed in a small brass boiler drain valve. Makes it easier to drain as you don't have to take any plugs out.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
When using tape, most people do not wrap enough. On a 1/2" or 3/4" pipe thread you should use at least 8-10 wraps.

Tape manufacturers say 2 layers are enough. See here: http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/plumbing/general/teflon.php

Just wrap the end a couple of times then overlap about 1/2 width the rest of the way.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I did not see in the article to only use two wraps. Ask any plumber and they will say to wrap till the tape rounds over the threads when pulled tight. This is normally 8-10 wraps. Also, it takes more tape for a non-torqued connection than a connection you really tighten down like iron pipe water lines or gas lines.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

If you used teflon tape and the liquid thread sealant (which should seal even if the threads on the tank are buggered). You might try taking your brush for your TFE and scrape a little bead off all around the lip inside the tank since you are running the threads up into your tank. That way when you thread the plug up into the tank it will pick up the TFE inside also . The heat should allow it to settle back down around the opening making a little more sealed. Make sure the inside of tank is dry and your plug it will pick up the TFE better dry. maybe allow it to set for some time before you refill the tank?

LT22BH EQ2 Tekonsha Prodigy P2

Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
I did not see in the article to only use two wraps. Ask any plumber and they will say to wrap till the tape rounds over the threads when pulled tight. This is normally 8-10 wraps. Also, it takes more tape for a non-torqued connection than a connection you really tighten down like iron pipe water lines or gas lines.

You have to read it: "Start with a couple loops around at the end, then wrap all the threads, overlapping half the width of the tape on each wind."

Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Hey, no need to get nasty Marvin. Starting with a couple loops at the end does NOT mean two wraps over the entire thread area. This is getting out of hand. Whew!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend.

The instruction say to overlap 1/2 the width for the remaining threads, that is a total of 2 layers.