Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water pump and air at faucets

I normally just hook up to city water while camping, but this weekend going to remote deer camp. Filled my water tank with water hose, when I turn on pump, I get lots of air and some water out of the bathroom fixtures, kitchen fixtures have smooth water, just not very fast. When I turn on hot water faucet, I can hear water being pumped into the hot water heater. Lots of air on both hot and cold. Will this eventually smooth out, or am I possibly sucking air from some leak somewhere. I see no water dripping anywhere underneath.

Hill Country HCT32RL
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Also, I tried this off and on for 15-20 minutes, seems all air would have been gone by now.
Ready to Rumble
Old 11-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Team

You have a hot water tank full of air. It should clear up after some time. When we fill up with water before leaving home we bleed out the air then finish filling the tank. It depends how far from the tank the faucets are so it may take some time.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

As soon as I turn on my water pump I open a hot water tap to purge the tank and line so the tank can properly fill with water, then after that line is purged of air I do the cold water... Then and only after the water heater is full of water, you can turn on the element for hot water, other wise it will burn out.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Team

I lift the relief valve on the water heater when I start filling the tank. Then start the pump. When water starts coming out the relief valve, I close it. That way I know for sure the tank is filled.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Is the valve that you use to winterize your camper with anti-freeze closed...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Well I kept on running the pump and opening up the faucets to bleed off the air. Managed to flood my front bedroom, under the bed. What is the best access to get to the pump, it appears to be a small wooden shelf to the left of the bed. Has four screws, but might have to take the bed base plywood off to get access to 2 of the screws. So much for dry camping, give me that city connection anytime.
Ready to Rumble
Old 11-23-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I live in Texas, we don't have to go to those extremes. Just drain the water heater, and the drain ports for the holding tanks and your done.
Ready to Rumble
Old 11-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Hard to say why the bedroom flooded from the information available. I looked at some pictures of your camper and i would check for access from the drivers side trunk where that bump out is there maybe screws to access the pump as it looks like the city and fresh water hook ups are right there. If not then look under the closet on the same side beside the bed. It may have screws to remove a panel to access the pump from there.

Let us know what you find when you get to the pump. It may help others!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalther1 View Post
I live in Texas, we don't have to go to those extremes. Just drain the water heater, and the drain ports for the holding tanks and your done.
I have the same arrangement, my water heater and water pump are in the box next to the bed on the driver's side. There are 5 screws in the top cover in mine, the 5th is accessed by lifting the bed base, which in my case is hinged a few feet out, and is access to the under bed storage area.
I leave the screws out, the cover stays on fine. I need to access that area twice a year to winterize/dewinterize.
I bet yours is similar.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

After I fill my water tank, I turn the pump on and turn on the cold water faucet till the water is running smoothly. Then I turn on the hot faucet and if I'm getting air through the line, I lift up the steam relief valve till the water comes out. Then I go back to the hot water faucet and turn it on, till I get a nice flow. If not I go back to lift the relief valve. Usually, for me, I don't have to go back to the valve a third time.