Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Water Softener for long-term use

We spent the winter in a campground with moderately hard water and see a good reason to get one of the RV water softeners. I've read through the posts in http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ener-7223.html but need to revisit this one to see if anyone has tried these in the last couple of years.

I'm leaning toward one of 2 units, an On-The-Go 16,000 grain, or a SoftSpot Nomad P400.

My inclination is toward the SoftSpot unit as it is basically a scaled-down home unit. The downside is that it uses standard water softener salt so I'd need to carry some along.

The On-The-Go unit uses table salt which would be a plus. The downside is that the instructions want it to be rolled prior to being recharged.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Have had the Rv Pro 10000 for 2+ years & it takes table salt also. You drain some water add salt shake it a bit & then follow instructions to purge. Here in Ariz the water is very hard & only need to recharge about every 30-45 days. I highly recommend the Rv Pro.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have been using the On-The-Go 8000 grain for several years with no issues. I was looking on their website and could find nothing in the instructions about rolling the unit before recharging. I have never had to do that with mine. Using table salt is a convenience.
Setup | On The GoŽ Portable Water Softeners
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Russ, I think you're correct. I've looked at 5-6 different units & in one of the documents, I saw where that particular unit had to be rolled before recycling. The On-The-Go unit uses the backflush to do the same thing.

I realize it's a subjective question but what do you think about the water quality. I like the ability to drain the unit for storage since it will not be used except in the winter.

Do you have the single or double? I see benefits in both so it could turn into a cost or weight decision at some point.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodcarvingGypsy View Post
Russ, I think you're correct. I've looked at 5-6 different units & in one of the documents, I saw where that particular unit had to be rolled before recycling. The On-The-Go unit uses the backflush to do the same thing.

I realize it's a subjective question but what do you think about the water quality. I like the ability to drain the unit for storage since it will not be used except in the winter.

Do you have the single or double? I see benefits in both so it could turn into a cost or weight decision at some point.
I have the single unit. The water is definitely improved. The softener can be drained by tipping it. I use it 5-6 months at a time. There is a unit similar that has a drain valve on the side but you have to be careful not to break it off when traveling.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

We fulltime, but don't travel. Bought one that takes rock salt. Love it. Travelsoft brand.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I eventually purhased a SoftSpot Nomad P400 prior to our winter trip. We've been here a day or 2 now and we can tell the difference in the water quality. Now to see how long between recharges.

I think I need to put a sediment filter in front of the softener as a precaution against crud in the lines. Not seen any indication of it, just want to be safe.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

I highly recommend the filter before the softener, I have sediment before & a charcoal after & regardless of where we're at the water taste good. The sediment before the softener is always nasty after about 90 days & the filters are cheaper than the softener.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
TDG
Seasonal Camper

I use the. Water Boss its small will hold 80 lbs of salt
Refill it every 6 months when we move
Home depot.
It works. Great

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Danny, thanks for the reminder. I had a second filter along so it's now in front of the softener. Since we're at WDW, it will be interesting to see just what the filter looks like in a couple of months.