Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Water trapped in/under the flooring

Water between the congoleum and plastic sheet:

I was in Texas during the freeze in February. My 2018 trailer suffered numerous water leaks as the temperature dropped. There was no electricity for heat and eventually I had to turn off the propane heat as the 12v blower motor was draining the batteries far too low. With no way to recharge the batteries my only choice was to use the kitchen stove for heat and keep water running to keep the plumbing from freezing.

The underlying problem was: the cone shaped washers that connect virtually every plumbing connection in the trailer began leaking. Upon examination, the fittings seem to be overtightened and the washers were crushed. As the temperature dropped they just lost elasticity and would no longer seal.
I do have a good quality water pressure regulator that was set at 50 psi at that time (now 42 psi). I couldn’t shut the water off completely or the plumbing would freeze. It was a real dilemma. I eventually replaced all the cone shaped washers in the trailer and installed moisture detectors wherever water enters or leaves the cabin. But, not before damage was done.

The latest discovery (just this last week) is: in Feb I found water dripping at the fitting at the inlet to the hot water heater. Apparently, that water traveled about 15” toward the outside wall of the trailer, seeped down the edge of the floor (under that wall) and became trapped above a plastic sheet that is wrapped around the various laminations of the floor.
Basically, the floor is wrapped in plastic. The floor consists of several layers of material, congoleum, 1/8” of luan plywood, 1 ¼” of Styrofoam, 1/8” of luan plywood and then all of that is wrapped in a layer of plastic. The one painful thing I’ve learn in all of this is “you can dry plastic wrapped wood or cardboard.”

So, when water invades, there’s no way for it to escape. It can’t even evaporate. The luan plywood is now swollen and delaminated and raising the congoleum floor along the edge near the hot water heater. The bottom layer of luan is also swollen and occasionally drips water. I cut the bottom layer of plastic open yesterday and drained out water and today it’s started to dry out. Much of the luan (only 1/8” thick) has delaminated and as it dries it just falls away. I expect to be seeing styrofoam in a day or so.

Question:
So, here’s the question. How are the sidewalls attached? They appear to be sitting on top of the congoleum (which means the floor).
By cutting the plastic under the floor I can dry the bottom. If I cut the congoleum it will never lay flat again because the luan is swollen and delaminated and VERY distorted.

I know several members of this forum have seen how Crossroads trailers are built. I’m looking for ideas on how I can possibly get the water out that trapped in the floor layers.

Thanks,
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

The frames enter the factory upside down where the tanks, plumbing, wiring, coroplast covering & axles are installed. Then the frame turned upright where the floor & various floor coverings are installed. Then all the interior walls are added with toilets, sinks, etc. The exterior walls are then added followed by the roof. So yes the floor coverings are under all the walls.
If this were me I believe I would've contacted my insurance company before beginning repairs as they might possibly have totaled your rv & not be chasing leaks or rotting floors from now on as long as you own it or winding up on some dealers used lot for the next poor soul to deal with.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Dustin, I am sorry to here of your situation with the flooring being water logged. Personally I think trying to repair it is a big can of worms and personally I would notify my insurance company and file a claim. I’m sure that is not the answer you wanted but that is what I would do. Hopefully some other members here will have some helpful suggestions for you. Please keep us updated on what you end up doing.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Good point. I hadn't considered contacting insurance. This wasn't a "slow leak I ignored". Rather it happened rather suddenly and therefore bypasses the "wear and tear water damage exclusion" my policy has.
Thanks,
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

Old 04-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

As TT mentioned, floors run to the very outside edges then walls added on top. Wow, so sorry about this Dustin. You can try to chase these leaks but it will be challenging. Then you’ve got the mold issues to consider. And if you don’t catch EVERYTHING, I fear eventually you’ll miss one and it will end up hitting a wall and then Delaminating a sidewall.
I fear this will be a never ending battle and I agree with filing an insurance claim. I’m sure there are thousands of others in your boat that had to do the same thing and the insurance companies are probably paying many claimants for the same thing. I do hope you keep us updated on the outcome. Best of luck to you brother

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I agree with those who said to call the insurance company. I had water get under my floor in a prior camper, but it was my fault and I couldn't get insurance to pay. I dried it as best I could, but it still developed black mold and a musty odor. After watching some youtube videos on replacing the floor in an RV, I started to give that a try, but that was a nightmare. I gave up on the camper and donated it to charity for parts after my brother-in-law told my wife that a friend of his died from black mold while trying to repair his RV.
I hope that your insurance will cover it without question. You couldn't help the freeze that happened.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Today, I finally (after 22 days) got approval via my insurance company to make these repairs. Apparently the insurance company and RV service center have been negotiating a price settlement for several days. The area with water intrusion is the left rear corner under the water heater. An area about 6' long and 2' wide. However, they are going to remove kitchen island, couch, bed, dresser, shower pan, bathroom cabinet, toilet and replace all the 204 sq ft of Congoleum front to rear. Comes to $500 in materials and $6000 in labor. When I look online, congoleum is $33/sqft but the estimate is about $1.50/sqft for materials. I definitely need to understand this better.
My understanding is they will cut out the existing Congoleum next to the walls, replace with new and add quarter round to cover the edges. I'll go over to the RV shop in the morning to remove all the stuff we have under the bed and in cabinets.

I know some of you have been through this process so, if you think of something I should watch out for please let me know.

Happy Camping
Dustin

Dustin and Doris