Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
New Camper

My wife and I are new to RV'ing and are having a blast. We lovediscoveringall thenewthings that camping has tooffer. We have gone out a few times and are slowly working out a "system" for setting up, tearing down and storage

One question I had was, what do people do with their Weight Distribution Hitch? We have the equali-i-zer 10k and the thing is big, heavy and cumbersome. So what are yall doing to manage this beast?

Specifically:

1. When camped, where do you store it? Do you leave it on the the truck and just take the arms off, or take if off completely?

2. What about when not using it, do you put it in any sort of container? Or just let it sit on the ground? Seams odd to me to just let is sit on my garage floor where someone can trip over it.

3, Any tips on moving this beast around. Its almost too heavy for one person to move, I manage it but its not fun on the back. Any ideas?

Ideally I would like to find some container that i can use to store and move this thing around but if anyone has any better ideas or hasalreadyworked out a system for this, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks for your help!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...TT%2520Med.jpg
JenkinsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I agree these can be heavy and awkward both at camp and home. I have a 5vr now but when I did have the WDH my feeling was move it as little as possible, so after I set up, I dropped the hitch and bars just below the trailer tongue so it is out of the way and also ready to go again without much work. It can be placed soas to be safe and also not messy. Back home, I have several homemade plywood Dolly's with casters that I put heavy items on as this gets them out of the way and can easily be slid back to install again right under the truck :-). I see you are in Frisco...we are in Houston .... Enjoy the trailer! Tons of great campgrounds in Texas.
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Jace,
I too have the 10k Equal-I-Zer on my unit. When at home I have the hitch in a large, heavy rubber tote. The bars always stay in the storage are between the 4 totes I have in there, fits perfectly. When I am camping I put the bars in the storage area, take off the hitch and put it in the tote under the camper so it doesn't get wet. I do know it's heavy but having it in the tote helps me carry it with two hands. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum. Post a pic and some bio on your unit.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have a reese dual cam which is heavy too. We leave the hitch on the truck when camped and put the bars in the pass thru. When in storage, the hitch and bars go in the pass thru storage area. I have heard of some leaving it hitched to the trailer and pulling the pin to drive the truck off the equalizer and back the truck on to it. (similar to what those w/ a hensley arrow have to do w/ a stinger). This is too complicated for me. What we do works for us.

on edit: if using a tote, get yourself one w/ wheels and you can pull it. In terms of the hitch, if you lift properly you should not be hard on the back.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

When I had a WDH before the FW, I bought a square receiver tube from the local auto parts store and had it welded (at an angle) to the frame just in front of the trailer but behind the tanks. I then made support hooks and mounted them on both sides of the frame below the tanks. When in storage or while camping, the hitch went into the new receiver tube and locked with the lockable pin, and the bars hung on the support hooks on either side of the A-frame. This kept everything off the ground and the hitch was locked.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for all the great responses.

Tator447 - Per your request I have added a pic of our rig in my sig!

Stan - Do you happen to have a picture of theweld jobyou had done? I'de be interested to see it up close.

All - I think the tote with wheels idea prolly would be the best for now. I think my problem has been that I have been leaving the arms on the hitch when moving it around and I think its just making itawkwardand a real PITA.. Next time I'm going to take the arms off and I bet even though heavy, wont be such a whip to move it. I m guessing that by taking the arms off plus putting it in a tote that lets me move it around easier, I will probably be able to put this issue to bed.

Again, thanks for all the great suggestions. Ill post back when I have it all settled in!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...TT%2520Med.jpg
JenkinsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I take my arms off and put them on the ground under the A frame on each side of the trailer. Then take the hitch off the truck and put in on the ground under the front of the trailer. Don't leave it on the truck any more having walked into it a couple times early in my career. everything's out of the way, no special containers to take up space, and all is close forhitch-up. When I store the trailer it all goes in the front storagearea. No special container, but I put an outdoorrug in there to protect the floor and keep things from getting messy.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote