Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Well, this is new......

I have my camper set up on a seasonal spot this year for working out of the area. I ran up my tv antenna for only the second time since owning the unit 2 years to get a few over the air stations to keep my sanity on bad weather days.
Tuesday evening a downpour rolls through the area, and I notice a drip from the antenna crank handle.....then another, then another... I cranked the antenna down, and it seemed to stop the leak. It rained for quite awhile after that, but no more dripping. It was seemingly coming in only at the inside of the handle, where the gear rod goes through, nothing around the immediate area was wet, or even damp.
Because I had to leave for home early the next morning, I didn't have a chance to get up and inspect the area. Hopefully I can diagnose and fix it.
I guess I'll have to leave it down until I want to use it, which, unfortunately, is typically only when its raining..lol
Old 06-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Carry up a tube of caulk & some grease, use the caulk to seal the rubber boot over the antenna cable & the grease to lube the antenna. There's a threaded plug that you can remove to lube the antenna worm gears. Both of these should stop the leak.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

sounds like good advice. Thanks