Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Just found a wet spot on the wall to the left (looking from the outside) of the door on our 2011 30skp. Checked the caulking, everything looks ok. The spot extends from the floor up the wall approx' 3 inches. Anyone had a similar problem or have any ideas how the water could be getting in?

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

There should be a gasket where the door frame pulls up to the wall. Look at the roof closely to ensure that all the sealant around any penetrations is in good shape. If there is a window near that area, you should pull it out and see if it has been leaking. That is what we found on mine is that the rear window had leaked, allowing water to pool between the inner and outer wall in the lower right corner.Looking at your picture, it looks like you have a slide room just to the left of your door, so you should definitely check around it to make sure the gaskets are in good condition. Basically, anywhere there is a penetration or a seam anywhere close to this area needs to be checked out as water may travel along the structural rails and end up several feet away from where the leak actually is. This is something you certainly want to deal with now before it gets any worse.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you have checked the caulking around the door and roof, I would inspect the slide seals especially the top right by the door. When I wash my 30SK, I have to be careful spraying water around the seals as high pressure can override the seals ability to "seal". Driving rain can result in the same thing. Also look at the awning mounts in that area and make sure they are caulked/sealed.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Possibly wicking up off the floor from water intrusion from the door seal. If water gets onto your floor that "wood" material used for your interior door trim and the wall board islike a sponge and will soak it up. The actual door willsometimes leak as the construction is not caulked ordriving rainor washing can getinto the door lock plate hole in the door jam. That's a wide open hole to your stud and wall.(could've snow blown into this area?)
In my case it was the door filling up with water as the frame and door fiberglass was not caulked. Water inside the door then found a hole on the inside of the rubber seal and flowed onto the base plate and then onto my floor. I used latex door and window caulk to fix the construction flaw as latex allows you to clean up with water and remove all excess and just leave the caulk in the seam. If you have water drip from your door when you open it, there's your sign.

My door trim was ruined after a BIG rain storm and it swelled up and split at the bottom to three or fourinches up from the floor. Replaced with oak tile counter trim. matches the cabinets perfect and is water resistant.
Edited by: BDLuke
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Mike & Stan, appreciate your help. We are presently getting dumped on with snow so there's not much I can do at this point. We had slide toppers installed last spring, I'll be sure to check around the mounts to make sure they were caulked properly.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions Bob. I first noticed the wet spot a few weeks ago after a thaw. Until all the snow is off the roof and it dries up some, it's going to be tricky trying to locate exactly where the water is coming in. Hopefully, that won't be too long, the wall board is feeling pretty spongy.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I cured my problem by buying a cheap white stick on door sweep.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Time to use the warranty? Let the dealer figure it out.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

X2 to what Bipefiler said

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles