Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #41
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I had 4 set of drum brakes on 2 axles that would disagree, some knucklehead pumped TOO much grease into those zerks, it had to go somewhere.
I'm upgrading to disc this fall & those zerks Will be plugs.
Done right, you can't pump too much, because the excess comes out the front. I just changed tires, and did all four wheels myself, pumping slow, easy, by hand, making sure each pump oozed old grease out. I pumped TWO tubes of grease through the four wheels, to make sure I pumped until new grease came out. The brakes are fine.
I started another discussion on wheel balancing that I believe could be the cause of both tire and wheel failures. Wheels don't come balanced from the factory, and many shops don't believe you need to balance "trailer" tires.
You should have seen the wiggle and shimmy on the balancer before I put the (much needed) weights on!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #42
Full Time Camper

Pumping by hand works fine but the factory has air assisted grease guns that shoot a lot more grease at higher pressure resulting in blown out rear seals
Old 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #43
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Pumping by hand works fine but the factory has air assisted grease guns that shoot a lot more grease at higher pressure resulting in blown out rear seals
Do you mean "factory" or "repair shop?" My initial experience with these bearings is that it took about 100 pumps (hand-squeeze grease gun, not the lever kind) before any grease came out the front. That was when I did it the first time. I surmised that the bearings were hand-packed at the factory, and I had to fill the between-bearing cavity for the first time. That reasoning is supported by the fact that the Lippert (who makes the chassis and axles) manual only talks about hand-packing. It is the Crossroads manual that describes the EZ Lubes.
Since then, grease comes out the front as soon as I start pumping a time or two.
But, if you mean "repair shop," then you are probably right. I wouldn't want any bearing or fitting on any of my vehicles greased by a gun fed by compressed air, unless I KNEW it was throttled down to about 20 psi.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote