Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wheel bearings

when you guys refer to EZ lube is that the same as buddy bearings used on boat trailers?
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

never mind I googled it. anybody use buddy bearings (typically for marine use)?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

A bearing buddy is designed to hold pressure against the back seal to prevent water getting in when submerged. RV seals will not stand the pressure and you load up the brake drums with grease.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Team

1olcatonr

Thanks for your post. I wasn't totally sure how those worked, or even if there was a difference.
You have cleared it up.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olcatonr View Post
A bearing buddy is designed to hold pressure against the back seal to prevent water getting in when submerged. RV seals will not stand the pressure and you load up the brake drums with grease.
Huh?
The EZ lube system a zerk fitting on the end of the axle with a hollow shaft to reach the inside bearing as well as the outside. Kind of works the opposite of a Bearing Buddy with the same result.

The newer style Bearing Buddy's have pressure relief systems to avoid overfilling and blowing out the rear seal.

Most rv' s have a double lipped rear seal to avoid most seal failures.
However, if it does blow, grease will ooze out of the seal and cover the inside of the rim with grease. It won't load up the brake drums as noted before.

Not sure where that came from?

I use Bearing Buddy's on both my boat and my rv without issue.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olcatonr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Huh?
The EZ lube system a zerk fitting on the end of the axle with a hollow shaft to reach the inside bearing as well as the outside. Kind of works the opposite of a Bearing Buddy with the same result.

The newer style Bearing Buddy's have pressure relief systems to avoid overfilling and blowing out the rear seal.

Most rv' s have a double lipped rear seal to avoid most seal failures.

Not sure where that came from?

I use Bearing Buddy's on both my boat and my rv without issue.

So, who has the correct information here?
Bob, I don't think I can agree with you on this part---

It won't load up the brake drums as noted before.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Well,
Trying to download pictures in this post, but each time I try, it kicks me out of the website. Then I have to log in again?
I did put a couple of pictures in my gallery, one that shows a rear seal leak.
Messy from the backside.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Team

There is some pretty good reading on this thread.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...en-1366-2.html
Old 09-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I continue to be amazed by all the posts of EZ lube or bearing buddies on RV's! Why do so many people believe they need to force all that wheel bearing grease into the hub of an RV that is never submerged in water like a boat trailer?? Think about this, on your car or truck, you packed wheel bearings every few years or when you replaced brakes. They were fine with this type of maintenance. I have never had a wheel bearing failure on any vehicle I ever owned. Now that we have EZ lube hubs and bearing buddies (designed for boat trailers by the way) some people are pumping the hubs on their RV's full of grease and thus lose nearly all of their braking power because the brake shoes, drums and magnet are covered in lubrication..........the rear seal always leaks when overfilled.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

The issue I see with using the zerk fitting is you don't REALLY know how much of the grease is actually reaching the back bearing without getting "too much". The grease fills the front bearing and then goes down a small hole manufactured into the spindle and exits near the back bearing. Excess grease fills the cavity of the hub. I don't trust it to work as designed so I pack manually. My 2 cents.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the input. I have lost a bearing and its no fun on trip. Want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

And by looking at the map of all the states you have visited I would say you would know how to do maintenance!! I have EZ lube axles on my tandem boat trailer axles but never use them on the 5th wheel.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
So, who has the correct information here?
Bob, I don't think I can agree with you on this part---

It won't load up the brake drums as noted before.
Thanks Lloyd.
I need to put my different trailer "brain" on when thinking about each type of system, wheel brakes and non wheel brakes.

Yes, with these brakes, the seal failure will create a braking mess and too much grease can blow any seal out.

I agree that without being submerged, the likely hood of a failure is less but I still feel that the extra assurance with forcing grease into the bearings is one less thing I need to worry about while traveling.

I guess I've just seen too many trailer bearing incidents over the years.

It is interesting how people seem to let car bearings go so long, yet so many seem to think there's a need to repackaged trailer bearing every other year.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Thanks Lloyd.
I need to put my different trailer "brain" on when thinking about each type of system, wheel brakes and non wheel brakes.

Yes, with these brakes, the seal failure will create a braking mess and too much grease can blow any seal out.

I agree that without being submerged, the likely hood of a failure is less but I still feel that the extra assurance with forcing grease into the bearings is one less thing I need to worry about while traveling.

I guess I've just seen too many trailer bearing incidents over the years.

It is interesting how people seem to let car bearings go so long, yet so many seem to think there's a need to repackaged trailer bearing every other year.

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. I know, been there a few times.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I just greased my wheels with the EZ Bearings. They are NOT the same as Bearing Buddies, though they both have a zerk fitting. Watch this video. It shows how grease goes first to the rear bearing, then to the front, and that the idea is to flush out the old. I pumped about 1/2 tube into each wheel, until the old black grease came through and started running purple (new grease) Lift wheel, so you can spin while greasing.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...CBDD26EEC802DC
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Great video Marty. My trailer came with EZ Lube system so I'm good to go. I guess turning the wheel while you pump in the grease provides the pumping action to move the grease to the front. it doesn't seem like the rear seal would be an issue looking at the video.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherne View Post
Great video Marty. My trailer came with EZ Lube system so I'm good to go. I guess turning the wheel while you pump in the grease provides the pumping action to move the grease to the front. it doesn't seem like the rear seal would be an issue looking at the video.
Martin's video is for the Dexter easy lube. I would think you have the Lippert easy lube. Check it out the Lippert is a different design more like boat trailers. You have to be careful that the seal does not fail. You will load grease into the brakes.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

There are certainly a lot of opinions about these bearing lube systems! I must admit that I added to the confusion by using a Dexter EZ lube video, when I should have referred to a Lippert Super Lube system. As you view them, they are similar, in that grease goes through the spindle, to the rear bearing first, then fills the cavity, then pushes through the front bearing, and then out. Here is Lippert guidance using their bearings in another trailer: http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5976/l..._procedure.pdf

Furthermore, here is a quote from our own Crossroads Owners Manual: Super Lube If the Recreational Vehicle is equipped with Super Lube, there is no need to lift the RV prior to greasing axles. To grease follow these simple steps: 1. Remove the rubber plug from the grease cap. 2. Insert grease gun on the grease zerk. 3. Pump until NEW grease begins to appear. 4. Replace rubber plug.
Hubs and components still need to be inspected and maintained per the manufacturer's guidelines. (end quote)
Note the Lippert sheet which says to replace the seals if the hubs are removed (as you would to check brakes!)
Also, a call to Crossroads gave me this advice: Use the zerks prior to every trip, but still pack the bearings each year. (Overkill?)

Here's my plan: I do about 4,000 miles/year on the TT. I'll Super Lube them once a year, and after about 16,000 miles, or four years, I'll probably be in the market for new tires. At that time we'll inspect brakes and pack the bearings. (Unless brake or tire issues come up in the meantime.)
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Actually Al, the Dexter and Lippert design are very similar. Check out the schematic

Dexter Lippert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dexter-ez-lube-endunit-diagram.jpg (19.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SUPERLUBHUBFLOW2.jpg (38.3 KB, 7 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Actually Al, the Dexter and Lippert design are very similar. Check out the schematic

Dexter Lippert
Just offering a heads up. Many things in the r.v. world are universal but Dexter is a step above Lippert IMo.
I have them and don't use them. Mark thanks for the input, do you use them?
Al
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote