Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Where does this spring attach?

I was checking over my 2007 Sunset Trail 29RL this morning and noticed a spring hanging down from the frame under the slider. The spring is about the size of the old springs you used to see on screen doors (please see attached picture). For the life of me I can't figure out where it attaches to, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (183.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Possibly attaches to the wiring to the slide to keep it off the wheels when the slide is retracted.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I would say that it probably attaches to a wiring harness to pull the wires back when closing the slide. That's just my guess.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I'm pretty sure now that hippy45 and campingcpl are on to the solution. I have slider wiring harness hanging down with a broken ziplock. I can stretch the spring to get to the harness but it seems like there's a lot of tension on the harness at that point. Just hoping that someone with the same vintage slider could take a look and see if just the one spring is used to hold up the wiring harness thats at the aft end of the slider. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

My 2006 CrossTerrain has two springs to hold the cord out of the way of the wheels.
Mine too had dropped down and needed to be re-attached.
Kind of strange they would use tie straps when they get brittle after a few years?

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
My 2006 CrossTerrain has two springs to hold the cord out of the way of the wheels.
Mine too had dropped down and needed to be re-attached.
Kind of strange they would use tie straps when they get brittle after a few years?
Only needs to hold it for 12 months.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks r2millers, that kind of confirms my concerns about the tension with just one spring. I'm guessing I've lost the second spring when the zip tie broke. The spring I have left is about 16" long, the distance from where the spring is attached to the harness is about 50", would anyone have any idea what length of spring I need to get?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingchop View Post
Thanks r2millers, that kind of confirms my concerns about the tension with just one spring. I'm guessing I've lost the second spring when the zip tie broke. The spring I have left is about 16" long, the distance from where the spring is attached to the harness is about 50", would anyone have any idea what length of spring I need to get?
Both of my springs appear to be the same length. One mounts at a 30* angle from the other so both are pulling from two sides to ensure the cord is clear. I would think there might be a hook or bracket still in the original position to help identify its location?

Pretty funny on the 12 months comment!

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Not that funny. Its. True

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I contacted Crossroads to see if they could explain to me how the wiring harness should be connected to the spring(s). The answer was no they didn't know how it was done.

If there's someone on this forum with a like trailer/slide out as mine (2007 ST29RL), would they be so kind to send me a picture of how the springs are hooked up to hold the wiring harness up?

This comes at an interesting time, I'm looking at several brands of travel trailers to replace this unit, guess I have a pretty good idea of which brand I don't have to look at anymore. I have to chuckle at their new presidents concern why customers are no longer interested in their rv's..
Old 05-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

My '04 had just a single spring. While your spring is just 16" long unstretched, mine was probably the same, but it stretched a whole lot. There was nothing but the spring and the wiring harness and the spring just attached in the middle of the harness. Newer units use a flat plastic wire loom rather than the spring. Remember, with a 40 inch slide extension and the spring at mid-point, that is 20 inches + 16 inches for the spring + extra to keep it tight with the slide closed, so 50 inches seems reasonable.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Dayle1, I agree with your math when the slider is closed, in this case the spring is expanded to double its relaxed length. My concern is when the slider is opened, the spring is expanded to three times its relaxed length. When I pulled the spring out without it attached to the wiring, it seemed like there would be a lot of pressure on those wire connections.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

my 07 has a spring that is 26" long relaxed. It attaches to the rig with a small sheet metal screw on one end and to the wiring with two "wire ties" on the other end.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote