Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Don't know if anyone will be able to help but here it goes. I have narrowed mychoice ofwireless internet accessto two methods. The big questionnow, is one method better than the other?Both will probably be with Verizon, cost will be the same. I will usethe method for full time Internet access while at homeand on the road. #1--- Pantech UML290usb modem, with cradlepoint CTR35 router. #2---Jetpack 451OL MiFihotspot.Bothhave external antenna ports, which is important to me. Is one faster than the other? Is one more stable than the other? Looking fora reason to pick one over the other. Does any hav/use the Verizon jetpack? It dosent get vvery good reviews.

Thanks

Flyone
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Strange you ask as I just upgraded a few days ago. We have used the UMW190 and it worked fine for what it was both at home and on the road. We just bought the 4510 and have had it for two days and it is 30% faster even without the antenna (which arrives today). What I like is the ability to place it anywhere for a better signal (we are in a rural area). We hope to get 4G in our area around June. I noted the reviews are mixed but so far, no issues with it. We were paying 60 month and now it is $50 month so that helped. They are also on sale till the end of March. For our situation, it was the best way to go.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I'm using the ULM290 with a Cradlepoint PHS300, both at home and on the road and it works fine. I have a Wilson Trucker antenna mounted on the Cruiser rear ladder that connects to the ULM290 antenna port. For the past three months we have been parked inside our all metal RVport while we finish rebuilding our house. In spite of being inside an RV that is inside a metal building in a rural area we have had no signal problems. We generally run two laptops at the same time and with the Cradlepoint use them anywhere in the RV or house.

The PHS300 has it's own built in battery, so the entire setup will work w/o shore power for as long as the laptop battery holds up.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We've used the 4510L for over a year now. its 4G was a little cheaper when we got the set up. We have been to Montana and are now in Az. always have signal no external antena. Works well for us. We only have 1 laptop.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Good info, thank you all for your reply.

Flyone