Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Wondering why on my 5er it has a black wire for positive and the white wire is negative going to the battery. Why can't they use the standard black for negative and red for positive. I figured the white would be the the positive and the black would at least stay as negative. I did that mistake for the last time. Got lucky only blew the fuses for the converter, but why is it like this.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't know but DH accidentally reversed them also. We also got lucky and only blew a couple of fuses also. Thank our lucky stars the fuse did its job and protected the converter. We were also lucky enough to have done it in Myrtle beach were there was plenty of places to get the needed fuses. We have since placed colored electric tape on the wires to label them.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The color code is the same as the residential wiring I belive per the NESC

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

That's a good idea Anaro. Even though I don't think I will ever do that again I might just do what you did.

2015stats:
Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

In the AC world black is the hot lead (not positive but hot) and white is the neutral, not negative. In the DC world red is positive and black is negative.

I guess their bean counters wouldn't buy red wire for whatever reasons. It also confused me and is totally irresponsible in my opinion. They should stay with conventional coding.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

They probably follow the National Electrical code, which has white as neutral and black as the hot lead, as was previously stated. You can generally see where the white lead is connected to other white leads and bolted to the metal frame, this tells you it is the negative or ground lead.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

dalemac377, the camper was in storage without much light and with the battery in the basement you couldn't see good. I should of had a flash light to see things better then I would of seen the sticker on the side of the battery lid that said white is neg and black is positive, but like i said before i just figured neg was black. I'm pretty sure it won't happen again.

2015stats:
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

On my Sunset Trail black is positive and white is negative. On my Coachmen trailer red is positive and white is negative. Makes me think too hard.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
New Camper

we also connected battery wrong. Thank goodness for fuses. Good to know we arent only ones to do this.
farmer lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

When I removed my battery in the fall, I labelled the wires as well. I can't remember which colours were used but at first I looked at it and thought it would be easy to remember. Then I remembered... my memory is good- but short!! So I labelled them just in case. For the little effort it requires... it could save alot.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I have two batteries so it gets really confusing. Before unhooking any wires I use masking tape and a sharpie to label all the connections.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Wiring on the trailer is covered by the National Electrical Code where, the Neutral or negative wire is white or gray. The Hot or positive wire is other colors ie. black, red, blue, and others except green which is ground.

2008 cruiser CF31MK
MNSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
Site Team

I believe that is just for the AC thru out the coach, but doesn't pertain to the DC. Maybe that is what you were meaning?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Invest in an inexpensive VOM, voltage/ohm meter. Once familiar with it, you won't go anywhere without it and you won't have to "guess" the next time.

Most are available between 15-20 bucks.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I think DC wiring is a prime case of "caveat emptor " as there doesn't appear to be any national standard as far as I can tell. It all depends on the manufacturer of the vehicle. For example some boats/motors frequently use yellow as ground for instruments, pumps, etc and black or other colors for the positive feed. X2 on adding a multi-meter to the tool bag and using it when in doubt.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
New Camper

I suspect when they build these RVs they try to follow one wiring code instead of mixing them.

Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

US, AC:The US National Electrical Code only mandates white (or grey) for</span> the neutral power conductor and bare copper, green, or green with yellow stripe for</span> the protective ground. In principle any other colors except these may be used for</span> the power conductors. The colors adopted as local practice are shown in Table below. Black, red, and blue are used for</span> 208 VAC three-phase; brown, orange and yellow are used for</span> 480 VAC. Conductors larger than #6 AWG are only available in black and are color</span> taped at the ends.<a name="wire3.tbl">

US AC power circuit wiring</span> color</span> codes.</a><table style=": rgb224, 255, 255;" border="1"><t><tr><th>Function</th><th>label</th><th>Color</span>, common</th><th>Color</span>, alternative</th></tr><tr><td>Protective ground</td><td>PG</td><td>bare, green, or green-yellow </td><td>green</td></tr><tr><td>Neutral</td><td>N</td><td>white</td><td> grey</td></tr><tr><td>Line, single phase</td><td>L</td><td>black or red (2nd hot)</td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Line, 3-phase</td><td>L1</td><td>black</td><td>brown</td></tr><tr><td>Line, 3-phase</td><td>L2</td><td>red</td><td>orange</td></tr><tr><td>Line, 3-phase

US DC power: The US National Electrical Code (for</span> both AC and DC) mandates that the grounded neutral conductor of a power system be white or grey. The protective ground must be bare, green or green-yellow striped. Hot (active) wires may be any other colors except these. However, common practice (per local electrical inspectors) is for</span> the first hot (live or active) wire to be black and the second hot to be red. The recommendations in Table below are by Wiles. [JWi] He makes no recommendation for</span> ungrounded power system colors. Usage of the ungrounded system is discouraged for</span> safety. However, red (+) and black (-) follows the coloring of the grounded systems in the table.<a name="wire5.tbl">

US recommended DC power circuit wiring</span> color</span> codes.</a><table style=": rgb224, 255, 255;" border="1"><t><tr><th>Function</th><th>label</th><th>Color</span></th></tr><tr><td>Protective ground</td><td>PG</td><td>bare, green, or green-yellow</td></tr><tr><th> 2-wire ungrounded DC Power System</th><th> </th><th> </th></tr><tr><td>Positive</td><td>L+</td><td>no recommendation (red)</td></tr><tr><td>Negative</td><td>L-</td><td>no recommendation (black)</td></tr><tr><th> 2-wire grounded DC Power System</th><th> </th><th> </th></tr><tr><td>Positive (of a negative grounded) circuit</td><td>L+</td><td>red</td></tr><tr><td>Negative (of a negative grounded) circuit</td><td>N</td><td>white</td></tr><tr><td>Positive (of a positive grounded) circuit</td><td>N</td><td>white</td></tr><tr><td>Negative (of a positive grounded) circuit</td><td>L-</td><td>black</td></tr><tr><th> 3-wire grounded DC Power System</th><th> </th><th> </th></tr><tr><td>Positive</td><td>L+</td><td>red</td></tr><tr><td>Mid-wire (center tap)</td><td>N</td><td>white</td></tr><tr><td>Negative</td><td>L-</td><td>black</td></tr></t></table></td><td>L3</td><td>blue</td><td>yellow</td></tr></t></table>

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Wiring code didn't help with my 5er. I have had it for almost 2 years running the AC all day long and a heater all night. Then after 3 months in Gulf Shores I lost all power to the trailer. Found the problem to be in the junction box between the outside cable and the inside wiring. The Neutral (white) wire was open and had burned the Line (black) and Ground (green) into one big mess. The Neutral wire nut was all but gone. I assume the junction had a poor contact and generated heat under load causing the melt down.
The only way to make the repair was to remove the outside shower, then the plywood cover of the compartment and work thru the electrical opening and the shower to remove about 6 inches of each end.

I am surprised CR didn't use any tape over the wire nuts to prevent vibration causing them to loosen. And they could make it easier to get to, but I am thankful it was in a metal junction box.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

A good fix for this is some red shrink tape to cover the last 4 or so inches of wire. I did this 2 years ago and haven't had an issue since hooking it up correctly. I also didn't have to think.

2010 Zinger 31SB
tabrown2001 is offline   Reply With Quote