Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Will high temps and humidity do and damage to a camper?

Not sure if this is a pointless question or not, but I thought I would at least ask. I’m new to camper trailers, so maybe this is a non-issue.

In my area (Southwest Missouri), the temps in the summer time hover around 90-95+ most of the time, and the humidity is crazy….anywhere from 85-95%....it feels like a sauna. When storing our camper, would it be a good idea to put a dehumidifier in it in order to try to dry out the air and keep the humidity out? I can’t even imagine how hot it gets inside the trailer when it’s setting out in the sun…..I’m sure it’s in the 100’s. Should I be leaving all of the vents/windows open (as long as there is no rain in the forecast) in order to keep air circulating through it? Will the high heat and humidity damage anything?

Or…..is this a non-issue……just keep it all buttoned up until I’m ready to use it?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

High humidity is never good for an enclosed space. If you can leave a vent open a bit and a window that will help. If you have access to power when in storage, you could also add a fan to promote airflow (put it on a timer to come on during the hottest times). Humidity can cause wood to swell and things like cupboard doors can break the joints.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I put a vent cover on and leave the top vent open...
also, it would be good to leave a low level vent window slightly open to promote natural air flow...

BUT, opening the vents will let some dust come in too,
but that's what paper towels are for
Old 07-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Team

What have you got for a trailer? Some have slider windows, and some, (like mine) have the Jalousie window which cranks out. If you have the latter, you can leave them partially open all the time. Covers over the top vents are another good investment. Then you can have the top vents open also.

The more air flow you can get the better you will be.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Use it every couple of weeks and that helps airflow too! Mold, mildew and musty are likely a bigger issue that damage.

My folks live in North FL and have similar issues. They crack windows and vents, but have to watch the daily rain storms. If you have permanent shore power, fans are a good idea.

Anyone use dehumidifiers in a closed up camper?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
What have you got for a trailer? Some have slider windows, and some, (like mine) have the Jalousie window which cranks out. If you have the latter, you can leave them partially open all the time. Covers over the top vents are another good investment. Then you can have the top vents open also.

The more air flow you can get the better you will be.
2011 Crossroads Zinger 19 rds. It has the slider type windows.
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I leave vents open slightly and use this product which soaks up the water in air. I dump the bowl out once a month or so. It seems to work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (83.4 KB, 9 views)
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Airflow is good but I think a dehu is even better. I run a big dehu with the hose running into the sink and the gray valve open. You would be amazed at the water flow. If you work at it, just airflow should be sufficient, especially with a fan or two. Heat, while not good, should not be any more damaging to your trailer than it is to your car. Best wishes for an optimal solution.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

After using, leave the refrig/freezer doors open to vent. No black mold surprise upon coming back to use!

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

All good ideas - but we all know that new ones from the time it is built until sale, it's buttoned up tight, so we are just being extra cautious