Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Will this inverter set up work?

If an inverter is connected to a tow vehicle's battery(while idling) , can it power a travel trailer that is plugged into the AC receptacle of a 1000 W pure sine inverter? I would be using a 15 amp adaptor that would plug into the inverter's AC receptacle.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Team

1000W would power a little. It could recharge the camper battery and power the refrigerator and fans. It cannot power the A/C, electric hot water heater or microwave.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
1000W would power a little. It could recharge the camper battery and power the refrigerator and fans. It cannot power the A/C, electric hot water heater or microwave.
Glad to hear that. That's all what I really need. I would use that scenario, as a backup, if my solar panel couldn't keep my battery bank charged.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

My truck feeds the trailer 12VDC+ pin with a 30 amp fusible link. IF you could somehow miraculously get the long wire, pin connection and trailer to support a full 30 amp flow, even that, at 12VDC comes to 360 Watts. That's all there is. A PERFECT inverter (only theoretical) would produce 3 Amps at 120VAC. On any power transfer transformer, converter, inverter, et al, power out is always less than power in. You will never get 1000 Watts, even if the converter is large enough to handle that load, out of a trailer 7-pin connecton.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
New Camper

Not sure why you’d use that Rube Goldberg setup to charge the battery. Your inverter will convert the tow vehicle’s 14.4 VDC into 120 VAC, then the trailer’s power converter changes it back to the same 14.4 VDC to charge the battery. If the tow vehicle is nearby & running anyway, why not just plug in the 7-pin connector? That’s what charges the battery when you’re on the road.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

What Marty said. I don't know how much current the alternator would produce at idle, but it won't be much.

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
drzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
Not sure why you’d use that Rube Goldberg setup to charge the battery. Your inverter will convert the tow vehicle’s 14.4 VDC into 120 VAC, then the trailer’s power converter changes it back to the same 14.4 VDC to charge the battery. If the tow vehicle is nearby & running anyway, why not just plug in the 7-pin connector? That’s what charges the battery when you’re on the road.
If I use just the 7-pin connector, wouldn't it take longer to charge my trailer's battery? And I couldn't use the electric outlets for AC appliances?
Old 10-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Use Pledge furniture polish on the seals & keep the rv slide walls waxed good.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
If I use just the 7-pin connector, wouldn't it take longer to charge my trailer's battery? And I couldn't use the electric outlets for AC appliances?
Any AC appliances you run will reduce the power available for charging. The inverter doesn’t create power out of thin air, it just converts it from DC to AC. The source of power the tow vehicle alternator, same as the 7-pin connector.

At full load, your 10000W inverter will draw 75-85 amps DC from the tow vehicle. Yes, that’s a lot more than the 30 amps available from the connector, but the connector goes straight to the battery, eliminating the energy loss through both the inverter and the trailer power converter.

In addition, the total AC output of your 1000W inverter is 8.3 amps, about half the capacity of a standard 15 amp AC outlet. While you could conceivably run a small microwave or an LED TV, most of your AC appliances are too big to power from the inverter. A typical water heater takes 6 amps, a refrigerator on electric is around 8, and a 13000 BTU air conditioner takes about 16 amps, twice what the inverter can provide. And whatever AC you use takes away from charging the battery.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

The charging ability of the average TV to a trailer is minimal at best.

12 volt line losses are substantial. My 200 amp alternator only sends about 2-3 amps to the Fifth wheel! A residential fridge might need over 10.

For the most part the TV might not outpace the parasitic loads. Much less a refrigerator. Unless your TV was modified. Motorhomes are the exception.

To recharge the battery in the RV the fastest use the converter and shore power. Second choice is an inverter generator attached to shore power.
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote