Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramn4ver View Post
We fulltime..maybe down to -10° for a week. Keeping a remote heater in the basement behind the wall, where the black tank valves are. Installed a remote temperature readout to monitor. We had a black valve freeze up. Not good. Also stuffed foam pipe wrap in bottom of slide gap.
[/IMG]
All my tanks have heat pads and forced air from furnace so im hoping that will be enough. All my slides are enclosed in skirting and with deisel heater under unit shouldnt have any issues there. If you can think of anything else i appreciate any good idea. I also pt trouble light where my valve bank is so nothing freezes off there.

Al
dozerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Do you any ideas on bedroom slide out and front closet only thing i havent figured out how to keep warm
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Another issue we had was mildew under the mattress. Cold coming in from slide & warm body heat. We went to Home Depot bought three large furnace filters. Their green wire like filters. It should let enough air flow between the plywood and mattress.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman View Post
I thought about the clear plastic on inside of windows do you think it will.cause condesation between window and plastic?
The only condensation will be from whatever moisture is trapped or leaks into the air space, so if outside air and inside are are both very dry, then condensation should be minimal. Also, if you only have single pane windows, then they have weep holes at the bottom that let cold and moisture in. They should probably be sealed at some point since they will freeze solid anyway.

Quote:
i was gonna use reflective insulation around slides i put steel wool in any hole i could find to keep mice out. I used aluminum foil tape against trailer less reidue then used red tuct tape over that for sealing all windows and same for slides. What do u think about using clear plastic as ground sheet under rv? I thought it might help i was just worried it might be giant swimming pool in spring lol.
Reflective insulation is NOT really insulation, it stops IR rays, but doesn't stop thermal conduction. Neither is steel wool and you shouldn't have mice during winter. So, use real insulation, then plastic sheeting. I agree, don't use duct tape, but either clear packing tape or aluminum foil tape will be better. Not sure which will withstand low temps better.

Not sure about the value of plastic ground sheet, your heater should deal with ground moisture and cold ground temps. I agree moisture trapped under the plastic might be a spring time issue.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Do you any ideas on bedroom slide out and front closet only thing i havent figured out how to keep warm
In most cases, the front closet floor is not connected to the closet wall. There is a gap, hidden by the carpet and air will leak in, so stuff some insulation in the gap. Also, the pin box mount is open, don't you have a skirt covering the gooseneck overhang? Some fiberglas batt insulation is available with full plastic wrap, since the bedroom slide out has a lower flange, tape the batt insulation to the underside of the slide out. I agree with others that body moisture will condense on the underside of the mattress, another option might be to use an electric blanket under the mattress, turn it on only at night.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Thanxs fir ur idea i will definitely do something about slide that isnt in skirting. I think the tanks will be fine i have heat pads and forced air from furnace and the heater i put underneath should put a lot of heat into basement. Anyrhing else you can think of ill definitely try. I just got other idea that was one i never thought of but we have a actual bed frame think its because its a king size so airflow shouldnt be a problem. Thanks for your input.

Al
Old 10-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

Oh mice are definitely a problem trying to find any place warm to winter the steel wool is to keep them out they wont chew through it. This is a little different aluminum insulation its made for the north has r value of 8 have to remember not really about the cold but about keeping the cold winds that come with bad storms. I do have full bundle of batton insulation ill use once skirting is on to fill any holes. The only tape that will stay stuck in cold weather is the foil tape and tuct not duct tape seals the best onto the foil tape. Well it started to snow yesterday so hope my winter site is ready before it get cold hate putting stuff up in 20 below im not as young as i used to be. Thanx you guys have some great ideas

Al
Old 10-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

I do have tripple pane windows with a low e rating they cost me a dollar or to more actually think i could put windows in a house cheaper than that extra lol. The holes i stuffed with steel wool u have to remember are inside skirting so once heater is underneath dont have to worry about heat loss actually the hole will help let the heat go into the basment
Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
In most cases, the front closet floor is not connected to the closet wall. There is a gap, hidden by the carpet and air will leak in, so stuff some insulation in the gap. Also, the pin box mount is open, don't you have a skirt covering the gooseneck overhang? Some fiberglas batt insulation is available with full plastic wrap, since the bedroom slide out has a lower flange, tape the batt insulation to the underside of the slide out. I agree with others that body moisture will condense on the underside of the mattress, another option might be to use an electric blanket under the mattress, turn it on only at night.
I was wondering how do i put anything in front gap if its under carpet have any ideas i really dont want to pull carpet up. Im hoping there will be enough heat inside skirting wont have issue with any part of floor im more worried about wall in front closet
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I was wondering how do i put anything in front gap if its under carpet have any ideas i really dont want to pull carpet up. Im hoping there will be enough heat inside skirting wont have issue with any part of floor im more worried about wall in front closet
The carpet pile hides the gap, but compressible foam can easily be stuffed into the gap. The interior closet wall is totally separate from the fiberglas front cap, but I'm not sure how you can improve the insulation. But then the R value is no better and no worse than any other wall. On the other hand, the biggest problem area is the steel frame on the sides of the bedroom. On the exterior it has just the fiberglas skin and lauan plywood, on the interior it is just carpet.

Excellent that you have triple pane windows.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

How do you keep your refer from freezing and not working
gcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcubs View Post
How do you keep your refer from freezing and not working
Well there are 2 ways im gonna seal off 2 of the 3 vents with batton insulation and if it get below minus 40 ill put trouble lite in compartment. Ive already shut off ice maker and im gonna put insulation behind washer and dryer and keep clost door open to keep air moving.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #33
Family Vacation Member

Can I come and take your 50 cal Hawkens when you are frozen. (Jeramia Johnson the Movie)

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #34
Weekend Camper

Thats a good one lol. No but you might find my defender i have in case a bear comes visiting lol. I know i wont freeze up might get a little chilly now and again but to many guys up here rv all winter every winter. How do you like your new rv? Does it get very cold in the winter in PA?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #35
New Camper

Us Canadians endure the weather well, out here in the western provinces a large majority of the distance work force stay in campers , hotels are full and pricey. The smart ones rv it up year round..With some money and brains anything is possible

First winter staying in the camper myself. Drilling out in the bare prairies of SK can get pretty windy in the winter but I've had multiple coworkers stay in their campers thru the winter with out problems. From what I can tell you'll be far more prepared then the average . 2" insulation is more then plenty specially with a diesel heater..most guys are getting away with heat lamps until -20 then kick electric heaters on, burning minimal propane (since your not paying for electricity usually). With that heater and your triple pane windows your gonna be wearing shorts!

Interested in hearing more tips, amazed more ppl here haven't done it
Snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #36
Weekend Camper

Glad to hear guys are doing it the same way there as in northern bc. The only reason i went with deisel heater is because its free for us as u know thats why i went back to a deisel pickup hate paying for fuel if i dont have to. What are u camping in a trailer or 5th wheel? I m now a full time rv living. Usually i only spend 4 to 6 months in it this yr ive decided to rv full time after selling my property and never being home any way. Well hope u have a good winter rving to let me know how things are going if u run into any problems at least winter only lasts 5 months lol

Al
Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #37
Family Vacation Member

Love the camper so far so far. Would like to use it more. Yes it gets cold here last year we had temps 20 below. I will be putting mine into storage under ground next mo. after I retire next year I want this thing south where I can do something other than shovel snow. LOL. We do get alot of snow more than the rest of the state. We get the Lake effect snows in the north west.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Weekend Camper

20 below is cold enough. Where i work we call that perfect working temperature but personally i like home in the summer time when its 85 above and a beer in my hand lol. We get a lot of snow some winters you just never know now adays weathers all over the place past 5 to 8 yrs. I wish i knew how to put pics up i would give u an idea what this part of canada is like. All i can say its remote just about 2 hr rrive just to get groceries and power poles end over an hr down the hiway we live off of giant deisel generators. The only reason any of us come here is because of the oilfields i can make more in 5 to 7 days here thani can in a month down home. Well hope u getout again before u put ur camper away nothing quite as relaxing as enjoying the outdoors.

Al
Old 01-16-2024, 09:51 AM   #39
New Camper

Will that help the draft in this trailer I'm winterizing in Idaho and it's minus most days I feel a big draft on the floor.
Velliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:52 AM   #40
New Camper

I was posting on the person that said to put those pool noodle things around the slide outs. Will that help the draft on the floor.
Velliott is offline   Reply With Quote