Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

After pumping RV antifreeze through the water system, how much should you put into the grey and black tanks, if they are drained as best as possible? I have heard amounts ranging from 2 cups to a full gallon in each tank. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb? Also should the black tank be treated with deodorizer as well? This is my first time doing this. Is there anything else that I should do or be prepared for?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We never added antifreeze for the tanks specifically on our Hi-Lo and I did not plan to on the cruiser .However I add about 2 cups to each drain to clear all the water out of the p-traps.and when I do that I did add the same to the toilet I think there is just an elbow there but better safe than sorry.We have been trying the GEO method with our tanks and are fairly pleased with it and plan to add a cup of bleach to each tank for odor control through the winter.Just came back from Green Mountain Reservoir,and want to try to get at least one trip up to St Vrain before winterizing but did get snow camping near Kremmling this week.Made us think of winterizing as well.Good Luck

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We just flush and drain the holding tanks. Wearealso using the geo method for the tanks and have had no odour or freezing problems, (so far) leave the tank drains open. For the plumbing; Just as you have done and as Mapachoo suggested a couple of cups for the p_traps. Do not forget to release the check valve behind the city water connection screen. Do this when the presure is off the system, otherwise you will get an involuntaty shower of water and antifreeze. Some suggest filling the black tank flush with antifreeze. I have not done this yet and the system has survived our -40 Jannuary.

Edited by: pegger
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I agree with everyone above. I generally just run the hot then cold taps long enough to fill the traps then done. I will also leave about a cupfull in the toilet bowl just so the seal doesn't dry out over the extended non use. I've used this method for some years aswell and never had a problem. Just be sure to have your hot water tank bypassed as you'll use a whole lot more antifreeze than you need. I did this once with my very first RV. It was a learning experience to say the least.

By the way welcome to the forum, there are agreat bunch of people here and lots of great info on mods and such.Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Don't forget to open up the outside shower as I did last year, but did do it before it started to freeze
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the responses, but what is the GEO methord for the tanks?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Here is a link to the GEO Method
http://cbruni.googlepages.com/
kind of long but it is a good read
did you get snow last night we are supposed to get a little in metro-denver this morning

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

mapachoo, thanks for the link. We got rain early this morning and then about 30 minutes of light snow. The sun is out now. Must go do my winterizing.