Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation Wiring

We have a 2012 Crossroads Rushmore. Our 5th wheel has a short in the wiring. We were able to Hotwire the landing gear in the back. We are not able to Hotwire the slides to get them in. Is there a diagram of somewhere to refer to? Stranded on Oklahoma
Lisamoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Most slides have a manual override that can be used in the event that the motor doesn't work. Do you know how to operate that? How it operates depends on the slide type. More info would be required. What does the mechanism look like?

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
New Camper

We have 3 hydraulic slides (which are frozen) and one electric slide (not the issue). Checked the battery, tried to use generator 110 works but nothing else work. Tried jumping with pickup but battery sparks. On cable Sparks fly also (brand new converter). 12V short is blowing fuses. Got the landing gear up but slides wont move. 3 cables connected to solenoid. Black to black on truck. Black cable to ground on battery. Red cable on center stud on battery and red on truck. Sparks fly.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

You are beyond my level of expertise. I'm gonna bet there is still an override there somewhere. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
New Camper

Thanks for trying. Appreciate you
Old 12-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Have you changed your battery/ batteries recently? Another thing is have you put in any screws or nails that may have shorted a wire.

Unfortunately wiring diagrams are not generally avaliable. As a last resort you may have to call a mobile mechanic. Sorry but a major short like you are describing my require professional help.

Keep us posted.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Last resort you can try tapping into the slide motor wiring directly with cables direct from battery. I would imagine there is one neutral wire, one wire to power out, one to power in.
of course you will have to repair the wires later, and get your short issue looked at.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

could you pull all the 12V fuses and then pull them back in one at a time. At least you could isolate which circuit is causing the problem
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamoe View Post
We have 3 hydraulic slides (which are frozen) and one electric slide (not the issue). Checked the battery, tried to use generator 110 works but nothing else work. Tried jumping with pickup but battery sparks. On cable Sparks fly also (brand new converter). 12V short is blowing fuses. Got the landing gear up but slides wont move. 3 cables connected to solenoid. Black to black on truck. Black cable to ground on battery. Red cable on center stud on battery and red on truck. Sparks fly.
Sorry for the late response, your post is just now making it to the forum email distribution. Please let us know if you got the problem solved. It sounds like you really need a mobile tech.
First, wire color makes very little difference in an RV. On every RV I've owned, Black wire is positive on the battery, white is negative. The rule is THERE IS NO RULE. Unless you have a multi-meter, and know how to use it, you should call in an expert. Sparks mean you are connecting things wrong, and that is very dangerous.
We can help if we can a lot more accurate information. What is the voltage at the battery, on shore power? What is the battery voltage, disconnected?
You should do some internet research to determine what make of slide out you have, there are many. However, if you have no 12 volts, or have sparks when properly connected, your slideouts are not the problem.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #10
New Camper

Your hydraulic slides are controlled by a box in the front compartment near the battery.
Make sure the control is in the correct position.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
There are also automotive type circuit breakers between the battery and the 12v hydraulic pump motor on my rig. Had to change the breaker on mine.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:43 PM   #12
New Camper

Control panel question

Does anyone have any idea what the red switch is in the far right corner?? I'll include a picture. I have flipped on and off and checked every inch of the camper. No idea what it does. Its on a 2022 cameo. I just bought it so forgive the ignorance.
Rob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:06 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the red switch is in the far right corner?? I'll include a picture. I have flipped on and off and checked every inch of the camper. No idea what it does. Its on a 2022 cameo. I just bought it so forgive the ignorance.
Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum.
You should start your own thread, and post your problem on it.
Also, you can add your year, make and model on the signature line to help us with that information when you post.
Your picture did not show up, but post it with the new thread.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote