Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Work performed

Hello; I have a question about work performed. I have a 2015 elevation Toyhauler. It needs extensive work. If a repair shop was to do repair work I am looking for a contract in writing, to state what you found during your inspection of my trailer, what materials you are going to use in the repair, what is going to cost me. What is your warranty on the work. What (specifically) going to repair. I think this is right to pay you for repairs being made. Does anyone know how to find a repair shop in Elkhart Indiana, that will stand behind there work? Is it too much to to ask for a contract? Seeking help, Thank You for your inputs
Tysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Here's my 2 cents:
When you ask a shop to give you a written quote, you are asking for an 'estimate'. Most RV shops these days will charge you for this estimate. When you agree to get all or part of the work done, you have entered into an agreement that you will pay them the quoted amount for the work performed. That is your 'contract'. If you ask them to write something more than that, they will likely turn you down.
These days, the RV service industry is way too busy, overworked and backlogged to accommodate such things. You will find any good shop is weeks behind, and I think that asking for more than the usual guarantee will just annoy them at best.
There may have been a time when a shop would bend over backwards to get your needed business.. this is not that time.
Just my opinion.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Team

I have to disagree Doug. In all my life I never paid for an estimate.
A repair estimate provides an estimate, not an exact amount, on the cost to repair a Rv.

This is because there can be unseen damages that will later change the repair costs. Sometimes a broken part or repair is not seen until the repair is taken apart. Repair shops don’t want to offer a set price that could go up after they find unseen damages so most estimates are very detailed.
Many will notify the owner if there will be an additional cost.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Team

The last time our other camper was in for a big repair - slide floor replacement - several larger dealers in my area wanted to charge for the estimate. They said that it took the tech away from a job so they charged an average of 2 hours shop labor. If you to let them do the work - it would come off the repair. Found other smaller shops that did not charge and one of those got the job.

A estimate is just that the any unseen/expected damage is additional.

On my repair estimate it stated the job at $xx.xx per hour labor, A break down /list of all material's and stated the warrantee for said repair. It also stated that any hidden damages would require customers approval and could result in additional costs.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I have to disagree Doug. In all my life I never paid for an estimate.
A repair estimate provides an estimate, not an exact amount, on the cost to repair a Rv.

This is because there can be unseen damages that will later change the repair costs. Sometimes a broken part or repair is not seen until the repair is taken apart. Repair shops don’t want to offer a set price that could go up after they find unseen damages so most estimates are very detailed.
Many will notify the owner if there will be an additional cost.
Yes, Mark, I neglected to state that they often take the estimate fee off the work performed. I have a friend that works for a local RV shop, and that's what they do.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thank you guys for giving your input. I thought I was going crazy, when I asked for a contact that I read and if I agree then we both sign it. Thanks again Wingerdinger, Dagst1, Mark5 W, for your response’s.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysavage View Post
Thank you guys for giving your input. I thought I was going crazy, when I asked for a contact that I read and if I agree then we both sign it. Thanks again Wingerdinger, Dagst1, Mark5 W, for your response’s.
(Many/most/all states?) have laws that require written estimates, and signature approval, and that state they cannot exceed that estimate by more than 10% without prior approval.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Happy Thanksgiving to all, That is good to know TerryH, Thanks for your input to this post. Have a Blessed Day
Tysavage is offline   Reply With Quote