Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I recently purchaed a 2007 Zinger ZT-290-FB, I have 2007 GMC half-ton pickup with towing package, doyou think i have enough truck to pull this camper, It did seem to handle ok when i pulled home from dealer.

Thanks

Steve Johnson

Mississippi
SSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I think you will be fine. We bought a 2009 ZT19RD this spring. We pull it with a 2008 F150 with a 4.2L V6. It does okay. I haven't pulled any hills yet. Enjoy it. Zinger is a nice trailer for the money. The only problem I have is the size of the gray holding tank. They should of had the black at 30 and the gray at 50. Happy camping!
Shawn

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Shawn, i agree with the holding tank, and yes we love the Zinger.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm assuming that your trailer is about 29 feet long because it has 290 in the model number. If that's case, you just may have too much trailer for your truck. Looking at the Crossroads site for a similar Zinger model, it lists the GVWR at around 11000 lbs with a dry weight of about 6700 lbs. In all likelihood your trailer will run about 8500 lbs for normal travelling.

Depending on the options on your half ton, you may be able to squeeze it into the meld. It's good that you have a towing package on your truck but that doesn't necessarily mean that your truck will safely pull the trailer. You need know all the stats on your truck, eg. GVWR, engine size, rear axle ratio, etc.

There's not doubt that your half ton will pull the trailer, but you may overworking your truck and if it's your everyday driver then you could easily be shortening its life.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

According to label inside trailer, GVWR 7915, UVW 5587, My Truck has 5.3, 3.73 gears. I dont drive the truck daily, weekends mostly couple times during week.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I think you will be fine. We bought a 2009 ZT19RD this spring. We pull it with a 2008 F150 with a 4.2L V6. It does okay. I haven't pulled any hills yet. Enjoy it. Zinger is a nice trailer for the money. The only problem I have is the size of the gray holding tank. They should of had the black at 30 and the gray at 50. Happy camping!
Shawn

Hi Shawn, we bought the same TT a few weeks ago. So far so good. I agree on your observation on tank size. We live near Murfreesboro so can't be too far away from you. Where have you gone camping so far? Right now our TT is at Poole Knobs for 2 weeks. We really like Seven Points also.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGJ
According to label inside trailer, GVWR 7915, UVW 5587, My Truck has 5.3, 3.73 gears. I dont drive the truck daily, weekends mostly couple times during week.

Thanks

That answers a lot. With the GVWR at 7915, then I would say that you could use the truck to readily pull your trailer albeit you'll be at the upper limit of its capability. I had an '03 Silverado with a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. I pulled a small 5vr that grossed at 6350 lbs and the truck pulled it well. It was a little slow on the hills and I ran it in 3rd and T/H when pulling the 5vr. Fuel mileage was the pits but that's to be expected. I got about 8 to 10 MPG depending on conditions.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

So far the only placed we have camped so far is Cedars of Lebanon and Country Side Resort. I still need to work on my backing up skills. We plan on camping during thanksgiven week but not to sure yet.

Have a blast the Zingers are wonderful!

2008 F150 4.2L V6 yes a V6

2009 Zinger 19RD
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
So far the only placed we have camped so far is Cedars of Lebanon and Country Side Resort. I still need to work on my backing up skills. We plan on camping during thanksgiven week but not to sure yet.

Have a blast the Zingers are wonderful!
Cheat, choose drive-through sites.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We just bought a Zinger 32QB and tow it with a Dodge 1500 5.7 with 3.96 gears and have not had a problem yet. We love the Zinger. We looked at and were going to buy a Puma 30DBSS and are very glad we bought the Zinger. We are new to T T camping.

2010 Zinger 32QB

2004 F350SRW crew 4wd 6.0
Camper Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Sorry I mean 3.92 gears on our Dodge.

2010 Zinger 32QB

2004 F350SRW crew 4wd 6.0
Camper Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

We also have the 32QB! Great trailer. Love the Zinger. I saw one around the corner from me here in Batavia. Enjoy!

Dave

010 Zinger 32QB
Road King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
New Camper

I have a question. I bought a 201019Rd Zinger a couple of weeks ago. I just viewed a Zinger (same year) with extras that did not come on mine like, electric awning.large outside grip handlw, power vent, spare tire mounted etc. Does the 19Rd have different packages available? A little confused here/ Thanks, Ron.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Options and standards change throughout the model year. An early '10 may not have as many goodies as a later '10.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Steve: You will be fine with the half-ton. I have a 2001 half-ton suburban and tow mine just fine. I just went to Ohio and back, 65 the whole way and got about 10 MPG. If I get into some heavy uphill grade I obviously end up slowing down. I figure I'm pulling about 8000lbs. I tow with the tow/haul switch on and in 3rd gear. There are some that will say you don't have enough truck but you do.

2001 Chevy Suburban

Two Kids

One Wife

One Dog
jimmbo407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Ron,
I think I can answer your question. I purchased a 2010 Zinger 19rd on April 1 this year....and I had to do some serious searching of many dealers to find the one I wanted. Actually, the earlier produced models had a lot more amenities. They downsized and cheapened later models. It was my impression that the dealers I dealt with didn't really know about the differences. I found them by checking pictures on internet. I also went to the factory last July and watched them make the 19rd so I knew what was available. As I got serious about purchasing one, from talking on the phone I found that the dealers were not aware of the changes and several of them actually thought that they had what I was looking for till I gave them a couple specifics. I found that there were many, many more of the later produced models out there than the ones with the "nicer accessories". In my searching I found that the following things were included in the zinger that I purchased but not in later produced models:
window glass in entry door, aluminum plate on front, electric awning, cupboards above bed rather than a shelf, tv mount on wall rather than shelf, 3 burner stove, oven, skylight in bathroom, 2 30# gas bottles, ducted furnace, drawers under dinette benches, jalousie windows (this was deal breaker for me...trailer HAD to have jalousie windows, stainless sink. I found that there was just one of the "nicer" ones available at all the dealers I contacted....had to drive over 100 miles just to check it out to be sure it was what I wanted. I purchased that one.

I did notice that in the later models they added a light above the couch...something that was needed and was one of the first mods I did to mine.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy the zinger...it's a great little trailer, in my opinion.
Tim

Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
New Camper

Thanks Tim..Since I will not beout F/T in a year or two I bought the 19rd as a starter until that day. I have been out one time and loved it. The only problem I have is learning the awning procedure. My next question to the forum is how to run tv cable from one end of trailer to the bedroom. Can it be hidden or exposed and channel around the cabinets. door etc?? I sure I will have more questios soon. Thanks again, Ron
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Ron,
Glad you're enjoying trailer. You'll get the hang of the awning once you do it a couple times. Though I have the electric one I'd rather have manual...just one more thing to go wrong....in fact, once in a while I have to "help" the electric one to close as sometimes the front "bar" just doesn't line up by about 1/8". Not sure what to tell you about the tv Stuff....obviously the source of the antenna is much closer to the bedroom than to the back where it's terminated with the amplifier....I wonder if it's possible to get at the wiring from above or below and run wire directly down from antenna and move the amplifier to the front? Of course then you have to find 12 volt....something to think about. I'm sure that there's someone on this forum who can be more helpful than I am.
Have a good one,
Tim

Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

We bought our 2010 19RD in May. The dealer had three units in stock. Now I know they were all late production models. Ours doesn't have any of the niceties listed above. It's like they say: " Hindsight is 20/20" I just hope they didn't cut any corners on quality. It does the job, but I'm disappointed the dealer didn't tell us the difference, assuming he knew. Just proves once again that you have to do your homework. At least we got a good price.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote