Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a Zinger ZT</span>25RB. We have done a number of modifications. One that I would like to do and DH is a little afraid to tackle is this.In our kitchen there is a stack of 4 drawers. At the top of the drawer stack there is a blank panel. It is stapled on. When I look inside there is a lot of wasted space. I would like to open this area up and box it in. It would be a good spot for storing rolls of aluminum</span></span></span> foil, baggies, etc. I would leave it open but have a lip to hold things in place. He is unsure how to do this. I have scoured the forums and find no one that has done it. Any suggestions? Or has anyone done it?
Zinger2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If the opening is large enough to store those items, can you not just make a drawer with a front face to match the other drawers? If not, a small (ie short) piece of oak (stained to match) can be glued into the opening. You could also get a spring tension rod that fits into a medicine cabinet and maybe that could be made to fit to keep items from falling out/moving around. I know we use them in our bath cabinet and they work well.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

The problem is the wooden frame that holds the drawers stops just under this opening. Most likely a "floor" could be created and some how attached to the top of the frame. It needs to be a kind of box, permantly fixed into the opening. DH is scratching his head on how to accomplish this especially with the limited space. The actual depth of the opening is probably at least 3 + feet in length.There is not much height to the area. I dont need it to be that long (full length)...but to be able to put the extra long foil into the opening would be nice.

I feel like others have to have noticed all this wasted space and used it for something.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I would use the blank to make the lip. Already stained to match, just cut it down to size. The floor can be a simple piece of panneling attached to some quarter round with liquid nails and some brads. doesn't sound like you want to put a lot of weight into it so it doesn't need to be heavily engineered.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you Mr. Mike....I will pass along to DH
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
New Camper

I used a empty kitchen space for a kitchen tools. Last month I done a kitchen cupboard and pack the empty space with a new cupboard. The cupboard space become larger than a previous. I have 10x10 cabinets with shaker style white color.