Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
New Camper

about to be a Crossroads owner

my wife and I just recently came across a 2013 Crossroads Sunset Trail Super Lite 290 QB. Everything appears to be working on the camper and is immaculate. The only major issue is the front nose got some moisture in it and delaminated. I am a good Tradesman and I was going to take that whole cowl off and then redo it in aluminum sheet metal as per some videos that I have seen and then just apply new decals in my shop. Anybody's ideas on this ?and I have attached a picture of the front end.
We are ready to pull the trigger right after the Labor Day weekend.
My out-the-door price for this unit is 11 Grand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180829_115453.jpg (191.0 KB, 24 views)
Hikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That year and with the amount of moisture damage seems way over priced to me.. You have to remember that you might have to replace the complete front wood also with the moisture damage. And could be damage to the bottom as well. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do with buying and repairs. Would be beyond my skills. Let’s see what others say.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Just a thought but I would check the title and see if it was totaled as if it has a salvage title in maybe hard to get insurance. With that amount of damage I would guess it was a total loss. And I can tell you from experience that its not the damage you can see its what's hidden that's the problem. Also seems kind of high with that amount of damage. If you do buy it GOOD LUCK. If its at a dealer just think if it was worth fixing they would.

JUST MY OPINION!
Happy Camping
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
New Camper

Yeah just to clarify a little bit then what is going on with this purchase. The out the door price was $11,000 and then I struck a deal with them to trade in our 2004 Dutchmen camper which is just too small for us so the amount is down to $9,500 that's with tax title transfer all that kind of good stuff.
Now getting back to that front cone am I correct in assuming it's basically two by twos that I would need to replace if needed and then just install the fabricated aluminum that would be liquid nailed to the new studs?
My total cost is about $600.00
Everything else on that camper seems to be working fine I have not seen any issues whatsoever with the slide or any leaks or delamination anywhere else. Haven't pulled it down the road yet so I'm hoping that it pulls true.
We have looked at a lot of campers over the last 6 weeks dealers and both private sellers and the Private Sales have been less than satisfactory for us because almost everybody is trying to pay off their liens and I can't get a decent price on a used camper .
the ones that were decently priced had all kinds of issues most with fading and peeling graphics over the outside.
I'm really looking forward to some input from you guys and gals before I proceed further.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
New Camper

The previous owner had the issue started about 3 years of the ownership. The manufacturer will not cover it as it was out of warranty.
The owners Insurance Company would not cover it because they said it was a manufacturer's defect. So they kept using it for a year after it was completely resealed with RV caulking and they traded it in.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Here's a past post from our forum. Should help you.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ler-12859.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Team

If you are happy with that deal then go for it. My opinion is they are giving to little for yours. And it seems to high with that kind of damage. Around here The dealers keep those kind of trailers to work on in the winter time when they have little to no work. Then in the spring they can get full price Unless the value of the camper plus repairs would exceed its value. Another thing years down the road you go to trade it for something else and your repairs no matter how good they look if not the same as factory will kill your trade in value. Also google NADA for the value. I will not put it on here but your price is not that far from low retail. Just a thought.

Back in the late 80s we bought a camper with water damage and decide to rebuild it ourselves. With a wooden frame damage travel's not to mention the black mold that was hidden. Long story short bought it very very cheep then fixed it correctly used it for several years and still lost money. The choice is yours - if your happy with the deal then go for it. Personally I would not unless they are willing to drop the price a lot.

Don't mean to rain on your parade Just my opinion. And if you do but it keep us posted so we can see how it turns out. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
New Camper

Thank you very much I appreciate your honest reply to my dilemma has to purchase or not purchase or try to get a better deal.
I know that I can make the repairs in my shop with the help of a local sheet metal fabricator but perhaps the price is not low enough for that 2013.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
New Camper

Thank you very much for the link. It is a help
Old 08-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Hikerdude, My suggestion would be to try and sell your current unit yourself (craigslist or ?) I am sure you can get much more for it than the dealer will give you. Then being that the camping season is going to be winding down and I would bet that there are not buyers standing in line to buy that Sunset Trail let the dealer sit on it for a few weeks then go in and give them a super low ball offer. With a project like that there are always surprises once you open them up and see what is hiding. Just my opinion, good luck with it.
If you do buy it please post pictures of the project in various stages and the end results. Thanks
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Be very wary of 2013 model. We have one, a 32' Sunset Trail Reserve, and have had a lot of slide problems with water leakage as have many others. Also electrical problems. Be sure to check the flooring as the water will eat up that pressed wood flooring wherever the slides allowed leakage into the bedroom, etc. I'm speaking from personal experience, and knowledge of others experiences, of that 2013. No need to tell you how bad the front caps were. We bought ours new, they had just reduced the warranty from 2 years to 1 year. We learned the hard way why.
BillBolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Site Team

I have a 13 Cruiser Patriot and had no trouble with water intrusion into the rv. In fact, besides the awning lights and the slide seals ripping. I've had very little problems with it. Knock on wood,

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Water is the rv worst enemy . You are going down the roads at 55 to 65 miles an hour. Pot holes rough road conditions ect. The unit is shaking like it a bad storm. Seams are moving a very small bit. The caulk they do is not the best job. When I purchased my last two units the first thing I did was enterbond the seams all of them Never have had a leak when I did this cheap insurance. Tape them up the first day.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBolly View Post
Be very wary of 2013 model. We have one, a 32' Sunset Trail Reserve, and have had a lot of slide problems with water leakage as have many others. Also electrical problems. Be sure to check the flooring as the water will eat up that pressed wood flooring wherever the slides allowed leakage into the bedroom, etc. I'm speaking from personal experience, and knowledge of others experiences, of that 2013. No need to tell you how bad the front caps were. We bought ours new, they had just reduced the warranty from 2 years to 1 year. We learned the hard way why.

Thank you Bill BolIy:
I appreciate the input. We did purchase the unit .
I am picking it up this coming Monday.

Final price out the door taxes title transfer everything was $8,500.

this included one year of extended warranty. With a $100 deductible.

We ran the slide multiple times went over all of the electrical everything is fine , including the water and the plumbing and the connections at the outside kitchen.

I even pulled it down the road no problems whatsoever. The couple that had it prior to me had all the issues taken care of in the couple of years that they have owned it. So all the issues of a new camper were addressed. The only thing that the seller is repairing this weekend is the super vent fan in the bedroom.
it's my understanding the little pin came out that raises the lid automatically and closes it automatically By keypad control or if it senses rain outside.
I will be pulling it into my shop this winter and redoing the nose end completely as well as new studs if needed.
my tin knocker will be making two pieces of powder coat aluminum with an S bend on the bottom for the front end which will be attached to the studs. I will be adding additional studs as needed.
While I have the front off I will be adding a couple of smal lLED light circuits in the bedroom area for reading purposes

as well as relocating the receptacles to a different location where it's more convenient.
I will be re-posting this thread in the appropriate section to keep everybody abreast of how it's going once I start the project. I don't think introduction for new owners is appropriate place for all of this discussion. I will keep you posted once I start.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Enjoy the camper, besides the cheep tire lesson I was taught, most of the issues I have encountered was either weather related, or owner/operator induced. Sounds.like you can see what your getting into. So, enjoy.

56Jeff
56Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #16
Site Team

Sounds like you have a winter project. Best of luck. Keep us posted with the progress.

Happy Camping.