Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
New Camper

Picked up our new ZT26BL 5 weeks ago and are complete novices at camping, up until 5 weeks ago our idea of a road trip was a bag of clothes, a credit card, a map and Friday afternoon watching the clock to get away from work as soon after 5pm as possible...then hit the road.

Actually nothing has changed except we no longer need to look for hotels.

We are pretty spontanious people, ordered the trailer 1 week, picked it up the following Saturday morning and that afternoon were in Banff National Park, chilled out with a Gin & Tonic and some great new friends that wemade during our first disaster when the tongue jack collapsed as i was levelling for the first time (Zinger owners for 3 hours).

The disaster was averted by careful use of 2 bottle jacks and a socket set followed by a speedy bobtail trip back to the RV shop, some profuse appologising by the salesman and the offer of a replacement (stronger) jack by the parts dept. That was week 1 complete.

Week 2 started at 2 minutes passed 5pm with a dash home, hitch up (grabbed the dog and our 16 year old son)and scooting down to Great Falls, no dramas this time, just 3 trips to Walmart for a few essentials.

Week 3 involved a later start as i was held back at work, we crossed into the US and ended up in a park area in a little town East of Shelby, MT.

Early next morning we explored Tiber Dam, spent the afternoon there then headed down to Great Falls again, this time into the KOA. This was my Wifes first campfire... much bratwurst was eaten and much beer was drunk.

Last week we had to return to the KOA and asked for the same site, we set up for 21:30, Jan got the trailer ready while i lit the fire and collected wood... you can guess the rest.

Next night... campfire again.

This week the temperature dropped so i winterized (learnt from numerous You Tube videos and annoying workmates with questions)last night and guess what... it looks like it will be warming up for the weekend... decisions decisions.

So there you have it... Lyndon, Janice Luke and Gizmo.... and our complete camping experience so far.
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have certainly figured out how to get some enjoyment out of that new rig. Good times

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear your first outings were a enjoyable.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Welcome. You made a good decision getting a Crossroads product, we love ours!

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Welcome,

After reading your post, I feel like I need one last campfire...unfortunately our unit is set for winter mode with slide outs in ~ we might have to dig a pit in the backyard! After the winds here this week, we certainly have the firewood and kindling!

Looking forward to hearing more from you next Spring!

2011 Hampton HT39FE
spa4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Welocome aboard. You can winterize and dewinterize quite quickly keep in mind hpw long the winter is and never miss a chance to get out. Enjoy!

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Welcome, and glad to hear you're having fun camping! Its blue skies and 78 degrees here and I'm on the computer; but I'm heading out now, wish we were camping!...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
New Camper

So we made the decision to leave the trailer winterized and look forward to the Spring.... and that decision remained in place until 10 minutes passed 5 on Friday evening.

So here we are at the Lost Lemon campsite in Blairmore Alberta (Frank Slide).

Had a wonderfull campfire and walked the legs off the dog to the extent that he is totally shattered slept all thru the fire, only waking up when Jan was feeding him cookies.

Looks like we are well and truly hooked.....
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote