Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I had the bed flipped up to get something stored under the bed when all ofa sudden one of the lifts came off and the whole plywood sheet cocked to one side. The screws had pulled out of the wall. Afterlooking at it Ichecked with a friend who had the same problem. WhenCrossRoads designed the bed they put the hinge too close to the wall. When you raise the bed the mattress puts too much pressure on the wall screws. They only screwed the screws into the wall and not into a stud. They should have moved the hinge further away from the wall so that there is room for the mattress when you raise the bed. Have to bring this up at the next factory rally. Anyone else have that problem?

When you are in a RV park and don't have a lot of tools with you, it's a real pain to try to fix something.
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What kind of trailer do you have? On our TT, we noticed the plywood actually sits farther to one side so that we can see some air to the pass thru compartment when the bed is down. Didn't notice it on PDI because when the compartment doors are closed and all is dark, it isn't very noticeable if not looking for it. Hasn't caused a problem yet but not the best design.

Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

After putting our VERLO mattress from the house in the trailer(i.e. heavy), we don't store much under there. However, might be good to keep an extra tool bag in the trailer for just such emergencies. Last year, due to the wonderful Minnesota roads, our bedroom door was ripped from one of the mounting guides, but luckily the strap held. I retrieved my tool pouch and in 15-minutes the door was repaired. However, it does not sound like the strut was installed properly or they stripped the screws inside the wood.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have an 08Paradise Pointe TT. We think it was the last one ever made. It is one of the many models that CrossRoads has dumped. The Paradise Pointe, the Kingston and the Seville are all history. Who knows how long the Rushmore and the Redwood will last. This is just one of the many problems that we have had with our PP. This is our last season with the Pointe. We are ready to give it up. I will say that we have had nothing but praise for the repair facility that Randy runs. Our unit has been a jinx since day one but therepair facilityhas supported us 100%. They have bent over backwards to help us. That is why during the time of the factory rally the past 2 years I havecontributed to supplying pizza for the repair crew. They are great people and I want to show my appreciation for their efforts. Because of Randy and his crew I think I might get another CrossRoads product.
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I think at some point every unit needs some attention to the bed frame and support. I did mine in september. It started out as just 2 extra supports to prevent the sagging in the middle, but I ended up ripping the whole thing out and starting from scratch because it was no where close to being level. When leveling the trailer I had to compensate for the bed. Where the hinge mounts to the wall I found none of the screws were in the studs and already pulling out. I also moved the hinge out from the wall a little too.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Doesn't matter how far away from the wall that the hinge is located, the mattress will put stress on the screws. So, if they aren't screwed into studs, then they will pull. The real solution is to slide the mattress away from the wall before raising the bed by a distance equal to or greater than the thickness of the mattress. That is the only way to prevent stressing the screw mounts. Only problem then is the extra 6 or 8 inches that the mattress is moved makes the struts totally incapable of supporting the increased weight at the foot of the bed.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

My Zinger mattress was fine with the struts holding up the open bed until I changed the mattress with a heavier one. Now, there is no way the bed stays up. I will try the trick of pulling it away from the wall a bit but I doubt that will do it since it will shift the weight toward the foot and make it even heavier. Changing the struts to heavier duty ones or adding a second set is an option I've heard discussed but have not explored yet. That's going to be a Spring project as, right now, it's closed up for the winter. Our maiden voyage will be in April some time.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We put a California queen mattress on an extended frame and pretty much abandoned the storage area. Don't miss not having it.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Why don't more people install Select-comfort Air beds? The weight of ours is about nothing, the bed slides just leaning on it. I know we are the few who like the factory bed BUT if I did change, it would be for the Select-Comfort.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote