Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Brand New to Trailer Camping

I grew up back packing, but the wife insisted we get into a travel trailer now that we have a 2 and 5 year old.

So we just bought a Sunset Trail 272BH and will be getting it next week.

I've come to find there are so many small details of which I was unaware, and frankly the sales people at lots seem to all leave out. So... we've got a lot to learn
Hitman5532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you taken possession yet? If not make sure to have them give you a complete PDI BEFORE you sign and drive off the lot.

Welcome aboard, and congrats.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We take possession next week. I have a very long list of what I expect from my PDI. Having worked at auto/moto dealerships in the past, I have a fairly good grasp in the general mechanic part of things. But for RV/TT specific things, I found a really good PDI checklist for that.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Up at the top of the page, you should see the word Documents.
If you click on that then go to miscellaneous. There you will find a PDI you can download, plus alot of other info you might find helpful.

Good luck and have fun with that new rig.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Sweet! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Remember the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
New Camper

Unfortunately, most sales lots only care about the sale. Once thats done, they arent alot of help. Make sure they fix any concerns you have before you take possession of the new camper.
ChadDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Hitman
Great advise from my fellow members...Welcome to the forum...Great bunch of people on here...Lastly best of luck with your new camper if you decide to buy and enjoy...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
New Camper

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman5532 View Post
I grew up back packing, but the wife insisted we get into a travel trailer now that we have a 2 and 5 year old.

So we just bought a Sunset Trail 272BH and will be getting it next week.

I've come to find there are so many small details of which I was unaware, and frankly the sales people at lots seem to all leave out. So... we've got a lot to learn

DO THE PDI!!!!! And don't let them tell you because of COVID, they can't. Bull. I fell for that line. We took possession of our Sunset Trail 331BH on June 2nd. Last night, while prepping our TT, we found a bunch of mold under the slide-out drawer under the table seat.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Welcome to the forum You'll find a great group of rv'ers here that will answer all kinds of questions. Great group. You'll find the dollar store is your friend when stocking your rv with dishes, glasses and all kinds of household items.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Hello and Welcome!
Any questions you have just ask. Were here to help. Enjoy your camper.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
New Camper

272bh

Welcome to the forums...

I took possession of our 272BH in January. Worked on it for a while, to personalize it for the wife and I. Then we brought it to the dealer in early March to fix a few things and the stay-at-home order happened. They couldn't get the parts needed, since everyone was at home. Still at the dealer in Texas. I should get it back next week, as the parts have been shipped, finally.

If I can answer any questions, let me know.
2020 Ford F-350 4WD DRW 6.7 Diesel
Lightning & Thunder (Female Rat Terriers)
fnPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnPauly View Post
Welcome to the forums...

I took possession of our 272BH in January. Worked on it for a while, to personalize it for the wife and I. Then we brought it to the dealer in early March to fix a few things and the stay-at-home order happened. They couldn't get the parts needed, since everyone was at home. Still at the dealer in Texas. I should get it back next week, as the parts have been shipped, finally.

If I can answer any questions, let me know.
I see you are pulling with a f150; what engine/package?
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Welcome...We're Newbies too! We just picked up our 291RK last weekend and I've spent the week trying to get it organized and ready to go.
The couple questions I've had were answered quickly and correctly by the forum. It's a great resource!

Quote:
We take possession next week. I have a very long list of what I expect from my PDI. Having worked at auto/moto dealerships in the past, I have a fairly good grasp in the general mechanic part of things. But for RV/TT specific things, I found a really good PDI checklist for that.
DOUGandNIKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
I see you are pulling with a f150; what engine/package?
It's got the V8, with the towing additions. Seems to pull it well. The 272BH is only 5600# empty weight.

We are looking for the diesel Super Duty, in the near future, though. Covid has changed our RV outlook and we are going to trade up to a 5th wheel (again) by the end of the year or beginning of next year.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #17
Gone Traveling

Quote:
It's got the V8, with the towing additions. Seems to pull it well. The 272BH is only 5600# empty weight.

We are looking for the diesel Super Duty, in the near future, though. Covid has changed our RV outlook and we are going to trade up to a 5th wheel (again) by the end of the year or beginning of next year.
Just FYI!
For future purchases the dry RV weight & the truck max tow rating are useless numbers to calculate for towability.
The RV only weighed that dry weight the day it rolled out of the factory, will never ever weigh that again, then the dealer added battery/batteries, propane & hopefully tested all the plumbing so it now has a few gallons of water in it.
The trucks posted payload in most cases will be exceeded long before you will ever reach the max tow rating.
ALWAYS use the hitch/pin weight percentages of the GVWR of the RV & the door sticker payload number from a specific truck. DO NOT use posted weights in truck/RV brochures, they are typically always off by 100s of pounds.
Hitch % for a TT is 10-15% of the GVWR shown on the RV sticker on the drivers side front corner. For 5th wheel figure 20-25% of the GVWR for a pin weight.
And NEVER EVER take a truck/RV salesmans word about towability of any truck/RV, they are there to sell you something ONLY most don't know or care if you can tow it or not, do your own homework.
All this said, I'm betting your current F150 is overloaded with your current RV. At 5600 dry & 30'+ long it's GVWR is probably 7000-8000 which means at least 800lbs of hitch weight + WDH of minimum 100 lbs + all people/pets + anything you've add to the truck that didn't come from the factory all are subtracted from that trucks payload.
The only sure way to know is load up as if you're headed out for the weekend & stop at a Cat scale to weigh it.
A bit if advice from experience, if/when upgrading to a 5th wheel & more truck don't even look at 250/2500s go directly to diesel 350/3500s truck, not much difference in price, ride or fuel mileage but a big difference in payloads.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Excellent post @travelin texans
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #19
New Camper

Yep, good post and I knew that, but it is is good to refresh it every once and a while.

The truck is rated 9100# towing, so probably still have a little buffer, but that should be resolved soon.

I have previously owned the F250 Diesel and F350 Diesel, and am actively looking for a new DRW F350 XLT, with all the creature features we want. Hoping in the next week or so. Then we should be able to tow just about anything.

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Old 06-12-2020, 10:15 PM   #20
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Yep, good post and I knew that, but it is is good to refresh it every once and a while.

The truck is rated 9100# towing, so probably still have a little buffer, but that should be resolved soon.

I have previously owned the F250 Diesel and F350 Diesel, and am actively looking for a new DRW F350 XLT, with all the creature features we want. Hoping in the next week or so. Then we should be able to tow just about anything.

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Then you post the max tow rating!
What's the payload from the yellow trimmed sticker on your driver's door?
What's the GVWR on the RV tag?
Betting your over the payload considerably & pushing really close to the max tow weight when headed out.
Not trying to argue, if you're happy so am I, but your safety, and mine, is what's important!!!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote