Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I just picked up my first 5er. Like several on here, I moved from the tent, to the pop-up, to the TT and finally a 5th wheel. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but have spent quite a bit of time looking over every inch of it. After having the TT for several years and doing several repairs on it, I really like what I see so far on the Crossroads.

One question. I do a lot of dry camping and try not to use the generator unless I have to. I would like to hook up multiple batteries in the storage compartment, but since they need to be sealed and vented in their own box, that presents a challenge. Has anyone tackled this mod yet? I haven't been able to locate a sealed box that would hold two batteries and fit in that storage area. I have been looking at different regular storage boxes (like the black plactic tool boxes for the bed of a truck)or even plastictool boxes and thinking about modifying them to do the trick. Just need to locate one that is theright size. I looked through most of the mods on here and didn't see this particular one. Any help would be appreciated.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new 29RK. That was our first Crossroads unit.

We have two 6 volt batteries in our PP and neither box is vented out of the battery box to the outside (came from the dealer installed that way). The battery compartment does have the vent on the front which seems to vent the compartment. I have never opened the compartment and had any smell.

Unless they have made the battery compartment smaller since we had our 29RK you should be able to get two batteries in there.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks! It came with the larger size sealed box mounted in there. I don't think there is room to add a second box unless I replacethe existing one with the smaller version. And since I was going to have to replace it, I figured I might as well go with the double box. There seems to be room for two batteries, though.

So are your boxes the sealed boxesor the standard battery box like on the TT's?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Our battery boxes are not sealed they have vents on the boxes.You might get two group 24 batteries in there but two group 27 might be tight.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I'm sure if your battery compartment is as big as the one on our CF30SK but has to be close. I have 2 size 24 12V batteries mounted in marine battery boxes. I believe that there is enough room inside the battery compartent to add an upper battery shelf and 2 more batteries.

Here is a picture of our battery compartment. As you see there could be enough room for a second tier of batteries.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

"I haven't been able to locate a sealed box that would

hold two batteries and fit in that storage area."

Try your local marine (boat) dealer, they might have something?

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I found this on line at http://www.boatdepot.com/productimages/91-2339-180.jpga marine dealer,,it wouldn't take long to ship,,,,,

https://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...TTOYS019-1.jpg
challeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

They weren't kidding when they said the members of this forum were responsive. I appreciate all of the feedback so quickly.

challeno, that is along the lines of what I am looking for, but the dimensions won't work for my battery storage area. It's only about 11 inches deep. I'll check some of the local boat dealers to see what they have (Thanks, riverotter55).

If no one knows of any negative reasons to use the standard boxes, plan B will be to remove the current one and replace with two group 24 like Hamops has. It will make getting to them easier when I need to charge them while camping.