Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Angry Crossroad Owner

We had less then 3,000 miles on these tires Master Track ST 225/75 R15 YTR06 RADIAL, ONLY 2 PLY!! "Cross Roads" on our travel trailer, which is garage kept & my husband is VERY by the book for maintenance including cking tires before each trip. While we were on I 75 we had a blow out, the tire split right on the seam & blew apart. It tore the side of our trailer skirt, blew off the gas line which we did not know until we got home, tore under body up. It cost us $170.00 & waited 2 hours for service I can not tell you how stressful it was on the side of the road with semi's passing us at 90 + miles an hour, These tires are JUNK! This tire issue is a major issue with Crossroads!

I have owned travel trailers, motorhomes for over 28 years never had an issue with tires like this!!

Also the 1 st year our brown paint faded very bad on the front! Remember our Crossroad is garage kept 48 weeks out of a year. We have seen several with the same issue.
BJSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

What year is the unit. I know there were problems with fading the past couple of years. Glad your ok with the tire and damage. Just don't make things the way they use to. Now I just sounded like my dad.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

All ST tires are made in China. I looked up your tire and it's ply rating is 8. Check again. I never heard of a 2 ply ST tire that size.
Faded caps were an industry wide problem. Some had them repainted by Crossroads other had them painted on their own. It had something to do with the faulty gel coat.

Please insert your year and model of your Rv in your signature so we know how to answer your questions.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSCOTT View Post
We had less then 3,000 miles on these tires Master Track ST 225/75 R15 YTR06 RADIAL, ONLY 2 PLY!! "Cross Roads" on our travel trailer, which is garage kept & my husband is VERY by the book for maintenance including cking tires before each trip. While we were on I 75 we had a blow out, the tire split right on the seam & blew apart. It tore the side of our trailer skirt, blew off the gas line which we did not know until we got home, tore under body up. It cost us $170.00 & waited 2 hours for service I can not tell you how stressful it was on the side of the road with semi's passing us at 90 + miles an hour, These tires are JUNK! This tire issue is a major issue with Crossroads!

I have owned travel trailers, motorhomes for over 28 years never had an issue with tires like this!!

Also the 1 st year our brown paint faded very bad on the front! Remember our Crossroad is garage kept 48 weeks out of a year. We have seen several with the same issue.
Our Crossroad is a 2013 Sunset trail.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
All ST tires are made in China. I looked up your tire and it's ply rating is 8. Check again. I never heard of a 2 ply ST tire that size.
Faded caps were an industry wide problem. Some had them repainted by Crossroads other had them painted on their own. It had something to do with the faulty gel coat.

Please insert your year and model of your Rv in your signature so we know how to answer your questions.

We had the tire cked, we are told it is a 2 ply, we were also told there is NO DOT date!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

No DOT date on tire

We had the tire checked, we are told it is a 2 ply, we were also told there is NO DOT date! We were told this is not legal! Crossrad sent me a letter after I sent them a letter & they said to bad!! They also stated we are NOT the 1 st owner, I said then we have another problem,, because we bought this NEW![/QUOTE]
Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I replaced all of our tires in 2014 - had more miles than you. Have been wearing good. Had them balanced when I had them mounted - are wearing better than the original set.

You may want to think of load range E tires - Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire ST225 /75 R15 117 E1 BSW
$123 per tire at Discount Tire direct.

I installed Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire ST235 /80 R16 124 E1 BSW - we have 16 inch wheels on our Unit. 2012 model manufactured in July of 2011.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

yup, we got a 2015 with Lionshead tires, same stuff..
Blew tire and caused like 3000 in damage to the unit. got the 1 changed out, on the side of the road,went 2 miles and another blew out, changed that one out on the side of the road, and then drove the unit to the tire shop where they replaced the last 2. Contacted tire MFG, they offered to send us a check for 1 tire, when we blew 2. Not the way to start off a Christmas vacation. Saddly, after this, I seemed to remember reading on the internet 1 person said, to always change your RV dealer tires first thing. Yup, we had ~3ooo miles on them..
56Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Our Crossroad is a 2013 Sunset trail.
There are over 20 models of Sunset Trail. That's like saying I have a Ford.

Another story, perhaps of those who don't believe in balancing trailer tires?
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

2 ply tire

Quote:
We had the tire cked, we are told it is a 2 ply, we were also told there is NO DOT date!
Tire states right on it 2 ply!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

It will say 2 ply sidewall...then you add the plies on the tread to get overall ply. There will be a 4 digit number in an oval stamp on one side that is date.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Recall on Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It will say 2 ply sidewall...then you add the plies on the tread to get overall ply. There will be a 4 digit number in an oval stamp on one side that is date.

Do you know if there was a recall on the paint, since ours faded within a year being garage kept? I had read there was a problem with an over coat,
Old 09-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Do you know if there was a recall on the paint, since ours faded within a year being garage kept? I had read there was a problem with an over coat,
The front caps are fiberglass gelcoat like a boat. No paint (unless you have it painted). It will fade like a colored boat but obviously our trailers are worse.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Site Team

There is no recall that I know of. Many had their caps painted while under warranty. If out of warranty, you have to pay for it yourself.
Here is a product that although expensive, is not nearly as expensive as a paint job.
Products To Restore and Protect Oxidized Surfaces

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
There is no recall that I know of. Many had their caps painted while under warranty. If out of warranty, you have to pay for it yourself.
Here is a product that although expensive, is not nearly as expensive as a paint job.
Products To Restore and Protect Oxidized Surfaces

Thank you for info! We bought this travel trailer NEW! However Cross Roads tells us we did not buy new that this trailer was sold Nov. 2012! We bought it NEW or so we thought March 3, 2013, I said to my husband when it was delivered I thought it looked like the passenger side was hit back by rear panel & was fixed, so I think we need to get a lawyer!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Thank you for info! We bought this travel trailer NEW! However Cross Roads tells us we did not buy new that this trailer was sold Nov. 2012! We bought it NEW or so we thought March 3, 2013, I said to my husband when it was delivered I thought it looked like the passenger side was hit back by rear panel & was fixed, so I think we need to get a lawyer!
It is starting to sound like you may have an issue with a shady dealer more than an issue with Crossroads...
Old 09-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #17
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
It is starting to sound like you may have an issue with a shady dealer more than an issue with Crossroads...
X2! Your lawyer needs to start with the dealer .
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

TIRE TECH
Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

(Lea en español)

The load range/ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of casing plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

How to get an RV VIN # look up?

I am told by Crossroads we are NOT the 1 st owner & in fact we bought a used RV not according to our loan & contract. Does anyone know how I would look up a Vin # for an RV? I did plug in the vin. on CarMax & it came back no such VIN. It states there are NO letter "O" in a vin #. Our Vin. does have a letter "O".
Thank You for all the help you guys have helped me with the issues I am having with this RV.

When my husband & I looked at all the tires & discovered we had 3 different tires on this NEW RV I thought that to be strange!

Bonnie & Jeff Scott

Quote:

Old 10-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

There are no O's in the vin only zero's they tear will be the 8th digit from the last number If it says E than it is a 2013
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote