Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

After reading all these articles on crossroads i can see why my new JRconsumer book rates these rv's on the lower side. to many articles with owners sending them back to the factory for repairs.I see there are many more rv companys that have problems with their units. is there a well built rv out there? probably many. I quess I'll keep looking!
mb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

mb1953....like anything you read it is all up for interpretation. I think some of the owners if they are close would rather have the factory fix all of the issues than have the dealer perform the work. The Crossroads Repair facility has an excellent record with completing above and beyond the work that is asked of them. Randy is a big part of this success. If there is a glitch, most often than not, communication broke down somewhere, but once it is identified, things get fixed.
As with any purchase, there are things that can and will go wrong, this is true across ALL brands of rv's. Like many here, I do occasionally monitor other sites just to see what people are talking about and many of the same posts here are repeated over there...just change the name. Ultimately, only you can decide what is going to be the best fit for you, but more often than not, the forums offer folks a chance to air their problems to seek advice or information on how to fix something themselves. Studies have shown that if a person has a bad experience, they will tell 2-3 times the amount of people than if they have a good experience.
I lurked around these forums for quite some time before I invested into one of these units. I asked questions, read the good, the bad and the ugly on what people had to say, but for us, the money spent on the unit was the right choice for our needs.
Perhaps a factory tour might be in order where you can ask those questions directly to the people making the units, of course we are also coming into the RV SHOW time of year as well, which is an excellent way to go out and kick the tires..
Good luck on your search and if you do have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1953

After reading all these articles on crossroads i can see why my new JRconsumer book rates these rv's on the lower side. to many articles with owners sending them back to the factory for repairs.I see there are many more rv companys that have problems with their units. is there a well built rv out there? probably many. I quess I'll keep looking!
My experience has demonstrated to me that all consumer rating books are complete b.s. including Consumer Reports.

CR has rated my washer and dry as poor. However, we haven't had a problem in the 7 years I have owned and used them.

CR rated the deck stain I used a "Recommended" yet it peeled in 1 year. My neighbor used the same crappy HomeDepot Stain and his peeled in a year. Yet the Sikkens which rated lower I got 3 years out of.

CR highly rated tomato sauce from Target, was probably the worst stuff both my wife and I have ever tasted.

I could go on lawnmower, line trimmer, tv, dvd etc.

MB1953 it's probably best you continue your search for SOB as in reading your posts you haven't been satisfied in any of the CR products. Otherwise I really feel for you dealer / CR factory.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I can see minor problems but when these units have to go back to the factory there is a problem at the factory when these are being built.it's not just one person saying their unit had to go back. if the crossroads repair facility has a great record maybe they should be building them or give some training at the factory. I quess your one of the happy owners but by reading the forums there are many unhappy crossroads owners right now! I expect a well built TT and many owners are not getting that.Edited by: mb1953
mb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

X2 Salda01. I have an acquantince that has owned four different brand rv's in the last five years. The second one was a Cruiser identical to our 07 cruiser. We never had an issue with ours, but his was constantly back at the dealer fo nit-picky things. Guy was a real OCD type, constantly cleaning, polishing, etc. No brand has ever satisfied him. At some point you have to be realistic about these things. They take a lot of abuse on our lousy highway system.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
They take a lot of abuse on our lousy highway system.
I think this statement really hits home. We travel almost 5K per year in our Travel Trailer and the roads have become worse over the last few years. Even with the equa-flex suspension, the Minnesota roads managed to tear my bedroom door off one of the hinges, but the strap held. So, after gathering tools, and spending 15-minutes, the door was as good as new....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have only had my zinger for one season and yes it did go to the dealer for some warranty work but it was fixed without question. To me a company that stands behind their product and makes right what is wrong says a lot about a company. All of the research I did before buying this one showed many more companies w/ a lot worse track record for issues and not standing behind their units as well as crossroads. It has been said well in the past, every brand makes great trailers and every brand makes lemons, it is really a luck of the draw. Knowing that statement to be true, I would rather go w/ a company that has a good reputation for customer service and fixing something found to be either defective or broken. (some things I have seen people get repaired where most likely owner fault but crossroads still covered it without hesitation). Longstory short, buying an RV can be a crap shoot, you need to know how to stack the odds in your favor. Best of luck to you in your search.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

If a man makes it it will break, somewhere, sometime. We sent men to the moon but there were failures along the way. With Apollo there were two major failures in 17 shots or a 12% failure rate yet the program is viewedas a marvel of engineering using 50s and 60s technology. Two of the original four Space Shuttles blew up, or 50%. If you have a 2% failure rate on your RV it is a catastrophe for some people. Squeaky hinges, wood debris behind placesmost peoplewould never look are major items for some anal people.

If our house took the beating the RV does on the highway and have so few things happen I would think it near perfect.

Good luck finding utopia.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

X2 to Anaro and Artgpo. You are exactly right. People that think nothing will ever go wrong with an RV should never buy an RV.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Do other manufacturers accept units back for repair or do they rely on their dealer network? I know all will do a refurb or custom work at the owners expense, but I'm not sure most will do warranty repairs.

You can find what ever product rating you're looking for online, good or bad. People use these rating systems to justify their point of view, but the ratings generally have little basis in reality. The real trick is to look between the lines. Were the complaints about legitimate issues? Are they consistant complaints for that issue with most people? Are the complaintssomethingthat actually matters to you? Should the dealer have dealt with the issue? Did the dealer attempt repair and fail? I could go on but you have tothink about what you're reading, can't accept it at facevalue.

The vast majority of us here on this forum are satisfied with our units.Most of us have experienced minor issues with our units. For some thedealerresponded and took care of the problem. Others had issues with their dealer. However, in all cases I'm aware of, Crossroads has responded in reasonable and timely fashion to resolve what ever the issue is. No matter your point of view it is easy to recognize that Crossroads consistantly goes above and beyond the letter of the contract/warrantyand makes every reasonable effort to make things right.

I'm no shill for CR. I'm not on their pay roll.I am a satisfied CR owner. When I buy something I want the dealer to stand behind it. Mine has. I want the manufacturer to stand behind the dealer. CR does. As one of my kids might say, "nuff said".

Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

i agree with most of the posts . think about all that can go wrong traveling down a bumpy road with an RV . it would be nice to see a study as to how much flexing goes on in the units as they travel the highways .

we were at the factory rallythis past summer and were very impressed at the service facility . we had some minor work done to our unit . very good workmanship . while we were waiting for our TT , 2 independent haulers brought units to the factory to be repaired

i asked the shop manager about this . he said it is cheaper to have the TT's hauled back to the service center instead of paying the dealers the top dollars they charge for warranty work . i can see their point . just thought i would share with others what i found out . thus , the units going back to the service center to be fixed are actually saving CR. money and i think that is a pretty good deal . just my 2 cents worth
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Methinks we have a troll in the group looking to stir things up.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2

Do other manufacturers accept units back for repair or do they rely on their dealer network? I know all will do a refurb or custom work at the owners expense, but I'm not sure most will do warranty repairs.

You can find what ever product rating you're looking for online, good or bad. People use these rating systems to justify their point of view, but the ratings generally have little basis in reality. The real trick is to look between the lines. Were the complaints about legitimate issues? Are they consistant complaints for that issue with most people? Are the complaintssomethingthat actually matters to you? Should the dealer have dealt with the issue? Did the dealer attempt repair and fail? I could go on but you have tothink about what you're reading, can't accept it at facevalue.

The vast majority of us here on this forum are satisfied with our units.Most of us have experienced minor issues with our units. For some thedealerresponded and took care of the problem. Others had issues with their dealer. However, in all cases I'm aware of, Crossroads has responded in reasonable and timely fashion to resolve what ever the issue is. No matter your point of view it is easy to recognize that Crossroads consistantly goes above and beyond the letter of the contract/warrantyand makes every reasonable effort to make things right.

I'm no shill for CR. I'm not on their pay roll.I am a satisfied CR owner. When I buy something I want the dealer to stand behind it. Mine has. I want the manufacturer to stand behind the dealer. CR does. As one of my kids might say, "nuff said".

well said.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Here is a thread that helped me decide just how good crossroads customer service is when I was shopping. This post really shows what Crossroads is all about!

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...;PID=8329#8329

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1953
I can see minor problems but when these units have to go back to the factory there is a problem at the factory when these are being built.it's not just one person saying their unit had to go back. if the crossroads repair facility has a great record maybe they should be building them or give some training at the factory. I quess your one of the happy owners but by reading the forums there are many unhappy crossroads owners right now! I expect a well built TT and many owners are not getting that.
IMHO having factory service as an option for service is a real plus that weighed heavily in my decision and will influence my next trailer purchase. I feel who know the units better, some shade tree rv mechanic or the mfg?

I had a major issue with my unit when it had less than 1,000 miles on it. I was concerned maybe I had a lemon, but CR stood behind the large tow bill (>$500) for a 12 mile tow and the warranty claim. My lemon was turned to lemon-aid.

I had another major issue when my unit was out warranty, very similar to the issue mentioned above. CR assisted with the conversation with Lippert to resolve the issue.

Therefore, I'm a satisfied happy owner. Personally, I have experienced CR being very willing to resolve customer issues, more so than most dealers.

Good luck in your searches

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

This site doesn't share the same view as JRConsumer Resources...but then these ratings are submitted by actual RV owners not the view of non RVer's trying to sell a rating guide for $60.

http://www.rv-coach.com/RV/manufactu...v_results.html

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I have found that when signing on to become vocal about a product more people voice complaints than satisfaction. This is true for glue, tires, soap, TV shows, RVs, etc. I have subscribed to Consumer Reports since the late 60s but use them only as a reference. I trust it way more than I do other consumer magazines or books that accept advertising or endorsements.

I think the bottom line is that, just like butts, everyone has an opinion...pun intended.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I think a lurker he may be.

As for "expecting a well-built travel trailer"...most are all about the same with a few that are REAL junk. The service aspect is what is important. We spent 2-3 hours running end-to-end comparing the Zinger to a Jay Flight. We bought the Zinger due to equivalent construction, better features, and lower price. Take into consideration a family member works for the Jayco dealer...what does that say?
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I hope I don't jinx it, four years, 25 or 30 thousand miles, never a problem. None...not one.A Rushmore or perhaps a Redwood is in my future. I intend to fulltime within 4 years. Been to several factory rallys, these guys are awesome at Crossroads. They do have control over this website, do they pull off negative remarks? If they do, they sure miss a lot of them.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Our Cruiser 30 sk is our 8th towable, Its quality is better than past rigs, We figure if things dont break you are not using it enough,they all have problems just the nature of towing something.Some people will not be happy unless they find fault with what ever they are using, life is to short, enjoy what you have and keep on towing.

Forks Wa.

1997 Chev 3500

2007 Cruiser 30SK

2 old well traveled cats

1982 Chev Elcamino

1975 Harley Davidson XLH
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote