Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Getting ready to buy 04 Cruiser 30RL

Hello Everyone. Andy from New Orleans. Thinking about purchasing a 2004 Cruiser 30RL. Is this considered a good rig or has there been problems? The rig appears to be in great shape. Interior still looks new. Outside just dirty and decals faded pretty bad.

Welcome any advise. I have about a week before I pull the trigger.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum.
As far as your questions on the 2004 Cruiser, I can't answer them. I have a 2008 and it has been good to me. From what I have heard the older Cruisers were considered the good ones.
Do your home work, Inspect it from top to bottom inside and out. Make sure it doesn't or hasn't leaked. Look for swollen wood, stains on the walls or ceiling. Check the tires to see if they are wearing evenly. If possible have the present owner show you how everything works and where it's all located.
That is just a few things, maybe one of the other guys that is familiar with that vintage Cruiser will jump in here with some more info.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hi Mat and welcome to the Forum. Can't help you much with your pending purchase as I am not familiar with that model. However, the things that Lloyd mentioned are very important. Best wishes.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
My toy = 2004 Corvette Coupe
AmericalVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Check the dates on the tires,

Quote:
Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.
Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:

Manufactured during the 51st week of the year 07 Manufactured during 2007

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Welcome, Andy from New Orleans! On behalf of CrossRoads, thanks for considering our product- we are excited to have you as part of the family.

The guys hit the nail on the head. Definitely spend as much time as you can on a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and make sure the dealership takes care of any nagging issues BEFORE you drive it off the lot. :-) Even the best dealers can struggle with wait lists for their service centers, so it's best to get all of that stuff done right off that bat.

Should you ever need any help or information from us here at CrossRoads, don't hesitate to give me a shout! I'm happy to help!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mark. I looked for the year but couldn't find it. I know the owner hasn't replaced them so I was planning to change the tires and pack the bearings before I haul it back to New Orleans. the picture you sent will certainly help me find it next time I'm there. It's 3.5 hrs away.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks Christian. Buying from an individual not a dealer. Once the deal is done that's pretty much it. If I call Crossroads with the vin # could they give me the bearing numbers? I'd like to go up there with a couple of extra sets. Got stuck in Alabama one time with a bearing failure. Since then I always like to be prepared.
Also can you put buddy bearings on these trailers? I have them on my pop up and love them.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd. All good advice. The owner is meeting me where it is stored to do just that. I've already been inside and it appears immaculate. No sign of any water damage. The owner had a bad spot on the roof that he had fixed a few years back. He just doesn't use it anymore.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Check the Lippert manual in our Document section for the bearings for you axles. Based on the axle weight capacity.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
New Camper

I own a 2004 CF28RL 5th wheel which I bought new. Have never had a major problem with it except for tires and axles. If you have a large slide, you might want to crawl underneath and check the condition of the large gasket that runs the length of slide and which prevents water from getting in between the slide and the floor. Mine had relaxed with time and stayed curved, which alows water to get in. Only a problem when you drive thru puddles or heavy rain. Besides this, no appliances have ever failed; water heater, furnace, slides, refrig, microwave, front jacks, etc., are all original and still working okay. Make a list and run everything in the rv before you sign!
cruisenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenbob View Post
I own a 2004 CF28RL 5th wheel which I bought new. Have never had a major problem with it except for tires and axles. If you have a large slide, you might want to crawl underneath and check the condition of the large gasket that runs the length of slide and which prevents water from getting in between the slide and the floor. Mine had relaxed with time and stayed curved, which alows water to get in. Only a problem when you drive thru puddles or heavy rain. Besides this, no appliances have ever failed; water heater, furnace, slides, refrig, microwave, front jacks, etc., are all original and still working okay. Make a list and run everything in the rv before you sign!
Now that's quite an endorsement.
Thanks bob.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Bob, Thanks for the heads up on that. I never had a slide before so that's all new to me. Is it difficult to change?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherne View Post
Thanks Christian. Buying from an individual not a dealer. Once the deal is done that's pretty much it. If I call Crossroads with the vin # could they give me the bearing numbers? I'd like to go up there with a couple of extra sets. Got stuck in Alabama one time with a bearing failure. Since then I always like to be prepared.
Also can you put buddy bearings on these trailers? I have them on my pop up and love them.
Yes sir! Our service department SHOULD have all of those on record :-)
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Since you have never had a unit with a slide out, you also need to check the outside bottom of the short end walls with the slide out open. In '04, Crossroads used a black rigid plastic guide, right angle. About 4 inches wide on the bottom. Double sided tape holds it on the bottom and white trim holds it on the side. It is also tapered on the end closest to the main wall. Anyway, this plastic tends to crack along the edge, it can damage the bottom seal and cause more force to open or close the slide out. Replacement parts are inexpensive and it takes a few hours to make the repairs.

The '04's also had problems with the outriggers. These are thin steel angle brackets extending from the I-beams to the outside wall. They are the way the floor and walls are secured to the frame. Welds may break or the outrigger metal will fracture at a 45 degree angle. Inspection requires cleaning dirt, etc off the outrigger, then using a strong flashlight to look at the welds and metal. The outriggers most likely to have problems are on the side directly opposite the main slide out. Repairs are simple, any good welder can add thicker steel to the outriggers in 1-2 hrs plus a can of touch-up paint.

Neither of these issues is a show stopper and the majority of owners are probably not even aware of either issue.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote